1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

20 Smilies Limit

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Taluntain, Oct 30, 2005.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Some of you most versed in the Art of Spam have already discovered the recent raising of the smiley cap from 8 to 20, and have started (ab)using it.

I've raised the limit for only one purpose, and a legitimate one at that - so that official forum news highlights could contain all the smilies needed, without having to bump into the cap continually. In short, to make it easier for our news posters. Other legitimate uses where people would need to have more than 8 smilies in a post are very, very few.

So, in short, the fact that you're able to spam up to 20 smilies at a time now does not mean that you automatically should. It's annoying and distracting when you do, even in RBP. So please exercise some control over how many smilies you throw into your post. Thank you.

(And just in case anyone needs a set limit to respect - let's say 10 smilies per post max, unless you have a legitimate reason to need to use more.)

[ October 30, 2005, 01:44: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Oops. :o I first noticed the increased limit in the RB thread with all the tie fighters...so I took advantage of it too.

I'll try to stick with the old limit of 8...but I'll try to never post 8+ smilies in a row ever again. :rolling:

3. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Taking into account the length of posts spome people go to, I do believe this mighjt be beneficial... :D

4. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Ah, Tal, I am sorry, I did not mean to abuse this new limit. I will keep my Spamfighters to a minimum...

5. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    I didn't even notice lol. So I won't post more than 8 :)

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    It's no big deal, it's just that seeing those long chains of smilies in RBP got me thinking that I'd better put in a word before it got out of hand. So, no worries.

7. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

That won't happen again, Tal.

8. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

Okay, why are my ears burning?

Ah, graphic smilies. PSHAW! :rolleyes:

Why, in MY day, we didn't have any fancy 'UBB Code' for italics, bold or emoticons, we had to use ASCII to denote this stuff: /this/ or *this* is how you'd emphasize a specific word, and if you made a joke you'd better stick in a 'colon-right parenthesis' or a <grin> for that missing body language else you might spark off a flame war! :eek:

Yep, those were the days... :geezer:

{mrs.emp cajoles him into truncating his 'wistful reminiscence' annecdote for the benefit of BoM}

...and that's when I told him "Well, those were your crackers!" :lol:

Oh, good times, good times! *sigh*

Anyway, I've wasted enough of everyone's time with this, so I'll get to the point and thank our gracious host Tal for clarifying the situation and providing a guideline to keep to! And if the length of my posts require more than 10 'graemlins', I'll resort to the old standbys of <grin> or ;J or suchlike

<BEG> (or :evil: for you young 'uns & johnny-come-latelys ;) )

9. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Hallelujah, Tal. Let's keep SP nice and clean!

10. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

*hands HB a broom*

I think the length of the post should be also taken into consideration concerning the smileys. In a very long post, they spam the screen less than in a very short post.

Although the long posters rarely use smileys in their posts.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.