1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

A call for aid in the community!

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by olimikrig, Apr 3, 2006.

1. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Throughout the years SP has been around, it has provided me with all the infomation I've ever possibly needed on the RPGs I love.

Though lately it has been failing me at one major point: module reviews.

Yes, SP has failed me here. But I cannot blame Tal at that point. To expect Tal, or the other staff members, to take the time to review modules next to the responsibilities they have both here and in RL is simply just unfair to me. I cannot really blame you guys either, seeing as it can't ever become your responsibility to make sure that SP is 100% up-to-date. So I can't really blame anyone, and I won't.

What I can do, however, is to myself try and help the staff keeping SP on track; which is what I've been trying to do the last couble of months by writting reviews over the modules I would play anyway.

So, this is an independant (from SP) call for aid in the community to keep SP up-to-date by reviewing just some of all those modules you would play with anyway :) . It won't really take much from you, seeing as you can basically write and edit a review in a days time at top (I've seldom had to use more than 3-4 hours in the writting process, in my few reviews). If we all made just one review, how many wouldn't we have by now? ;) .

This all springs from a personal wish to often read a review over a module prior to actually installing it. Sometimes because the module is huge (like some BG mods), other times (usually in nwn) because there are so many modules out there, that it's often very difficult to find the ones that suites your taste. Now when the module is reviewed, you can quickly sort modules that doesn't fall in your taste, from the ones that does :) .

So please, write a review if you have the time. Just one, it won't kill you, and it'll make me a happier and more up-to-date olimikrig :D .

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I've tried with similar appeals in the past, but to no avail. It's really incomprehensible to me that with so many people here, we're not seeing even any new BG2 mod reviews, let alone any others. I guess people feel that it's just too much of an effort to write a review...

3. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

No, Tal, they're just put off by all the red tape you have regarding posting a review.

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

For me, it is more the fact that I have only ever used two mods in my whole life (BGII Ease of Use and Unfinished Business).

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Felinoid, what red tape exactly? Apart from a listing of common sense and a header to adhere to, there's no other requirement. So I'm not sure where you're getting the "red tape" impression from. The requirements have always been the same, and there was plenty of interest in reviewing (and reviews) in the beginning. The only thing that's changed is the interest in writing reviews.

6. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

Well, the initial application, for starters. I don't know about anyone else, but I go through enough of that sh!t for paying jobs that I'm not about to go out of my way to explain why you should deign to let me write a review for you. I understand most of the other stuff, and maybe even showing you the review before posting it (though I'd think you'd catch any new review as soon as it went up), but the application just sticks in my craw.

7. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Since by reviewing a particular mod, you are basically preventing another from reviewing it at the same time, do you not think it was a good idea to get a handle on who is serious and capable, and who is not?

It's a simple thing to say why you think you'd make a good reviewer, and the fact that you took the time to do so shows that you are serious.

I think everyone would agree that someone who applied with "'Cuz I'z teh shizznit" may not be the best to write a serious mod review.

8. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Personally I really don't see the problem.. All of the points, like "no l337 idiocy" are quite reasonable, and what you'd expect to see. Also things like having completed the games ones before, makes perfect sense, seeing as you'll have to be able to distinguish add-ons from things already present.
    Besides, writing a short description as to why you should be mod reviewer, imho just helps Tal to tell serious people apart from those who aren't.

My call still stands.. It'll take near to zero effort on your behalf, and you well help the other users at these boards deciding for which mod they'll like to go for.

9. Taluntain

Media:
    Good grief Fel, I'm not expecting professional applications. You can write why you think you'd be a good reviewer in a single sentence for all I care. The main reason why I ask for it is to see at least a couple of sentences of written text from someone who's applying to do a review. If their sentences look like "hey u i wud mek a good rewier wat do u want me to do?" (which does and did happen more than once), I'll obviously say no, thank you and save both of us some time.

And even this requirement is really only there so that I can get a feel for people I don't already know from their posts. If any regulars that I already know want to write reviews, I'm more than happy to let them, and I don't need any demonstrations from them.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.