1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

A good name for my Elf

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Shadowcouncil, Jun 29, 2001.

1. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Hi, as you can read in the D&D-forum I soon will start AD&D. I'll play an Elven Ranger of Thief (depends on what the others play) and I need a good name for it. I like the name Glorfindel so maybe I take that one but maybe you know a better name (maybe one that's not already used by for example Tolkien. I would be thankful.

Stats for what I know so far:

Name: Glorfindel
    Race: Elf
    Class: Ranger
    Alignment: Neutral Good

Weapons: Long Sword, Long Bow,
    Off-hand Weapon: Short Sword
    Armor: Studded Leather (+3 AC)
    Religion: Ehlonna

2. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

A few elven names I like:

Silvershade
    Fenor (from the Silmarillion)
    Frajile (Better for a mage)
    Ashe

3. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Fenor? You must mean FeAnor... he was cool but had a too great love for the Silmarillion wich caused the leave of the Noldor from Valinor, and also the brother-murders on the Teleri and at last even his own death so that's not good for a true neutral elf.

4. Serora Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I wish I was good at making up names. Is there a trick to it?

5. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

This might help you come up with names (it's not mine I must stress). I've cut and pasted it from an edited 'Complete Guide' to Baldurs Gate. I've had this guide for so long I can't remember where I got it from and I can't find an author's name (just the email). It's probably one of the guides from here at Sorcerer's. If anyone recognises it please add a comment so we can give due credit. Thanks.

Guide to Naming Characters

I have heard that some people have trouble coming up with creative names for their characters. So here is a little guide to coming up with interesting names that seem to fit into the game (i.e. names that aren’t “brad” or “mike” or something).

Method 1:
    Take an exisiting last name, and make it a first name.
    Ex: Corbin, Martens, Miller.
    Obviously this doesn’t work with all last names, and it also tends to skew mostly male.

Method 2:
    You can also make interesting names by taking an existing name, such as Kate,
    and flipping some letters around to make a new name, Kaet.

Method 3:
    Somewhat similar to method 2, this one merely involves adding useless vowels.
    Try adding an ‘a’ before an ‘e’ or an ‘i’ after an ‘e’. Take the name Patrick
    for example. It will become Paetrick.

Method 4:
    Another fun thing to try is to simply add a new “flourish” to an existing name. For example we start with “Nate” and add the “flourish” “ylia” to make the new name “Natylia”.

Method 5:
    Start with another word, say the number “Seven”. Replace the vowels with new
    vowels to make “Sivan”. Now if you want to make it feminine add an “y” (or something similar) to the end to make “Sivany”. Or try this, start with the word “talent”. Replace the first ‘t’ with a “th” and then replace the ‘e’ with an ‘a’. You now have “Thalant”, which is a good name, but needs a little flourish of “yr” to finish it “Thalantyr”.

Here’s a list of names that I have used in various RPG games. This list will be
    a little small for now, but as I get more of them, I’ll add them. If you have any name that you want to send in, please feel free! (manymoose@hotmail.com)
    Female: Male:
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¯¯¯¯¯
    Kaet Salamoss Telen
    Sivany Syllas
    Jiany Poetayn
    Saenra Mytahl
    Kystra Ralasannvyr
    Lydra Ylv Tor

6. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Here is a wonderful random name generator : http://spitfire.ausys.se/johan/names/default.htm .

A selection of names:

If male:

Elvun
    Belorfirion
    Isánd
    Eliombor
    Ryl

If female:

Eowil-Gadë
    Elrilia
    Cádith
    Vadriethien
    Milmathien

[This message has been edited by Darien Noella (edited July 07, 2001).]

7. Tyresian Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Here's a couple names of my elven char off the top of my head(i have a lot of elven chars)

Tyresian(favorite)
    Vanthalas
    Litanas
    Arelas
    Vanisia(female)
    Elendar
    Faltath

I took these names from one place or another, can't remember sources just not Tolkien, hated his elven names.

[This message has been edited by Tyresian (edited June 30, 2001).]

8. Bateluer Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Can any of you actually pronounce these names or are you just hitting keyboard keys? :p

9. Tyresian Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I can pronounce my names quite fluently since i've used those characters for many campaigns.

10. Elf_friend Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I have two names i like for male elves: Inioch and Meandor. Hope that helps some. :)

[This message has been edited by Elf_friend (edited June 30, 2001).]

11. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Thanks everybody and especially Widlfire (addict!) for the great link!

12. Melkhior Guest

Caladrian.
    I have ABSOLUTELY no idéa why :D :D :D
    My Undead Hunter had that name.

13. Tomazin Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Khal-ze Silverspear

14. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I usually conceptualize the character and then find a name to fit him... sometimes it comes easy, but if it doesn't, I think up adjectives that describe his character. If I can't modify them to make a name, I may go to a language dictionary for help. I'm not sure what language to use for elves, as I typically play dwarves or humans. Another method I try (if I'm not around the internet) is to begin with a consonant sound that fits and develop something from that.

For a dual-wielding Elven ranger and swordsman... needs a fluid name...

Quicksylver
    Arien Lovencia
    Gilthanas

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.