1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

A new, stable and user-friendly item editor for BG / BGII

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by UrzaAvenger, Jul 1, 2010.

1. UrzaAvenger Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Sorry for reviving this ancient topic and if it's against the Rules i'm really sorry for it, but one of the first GOOGLE matches is this topic and thought I might be of some help.

Based on a discussion at SP I've opened a poll on my own blog to decide if a programmer/webdeveloper (that would be myself) should dedicate his time to make the first STABLE USER-FRIENDLY itemeditor for BG / BGII. Couldn't open the poll here as I'm not sure it's against the rules (it's related to, so to speak, money).

2. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] You realise you could have just posted that in the thread you linked? ;) There are 181 results from the SP forums alone, you didn't have to raise a 5 year old thread, all searches through the forum show the newest topics first, I remember CS cropping up a few times over the years.

The site you mention in your blog has members pay to view the site and access the downloads. (There's a long backstory to the reasons and evolution of it, but you can seek that elsewhere :shame:)

As for paying for the production of a modding tool, while an interesting concept, I would not. I mod in my free time and as pretty much any modder will attest to, it takes a back seat to most 'real life demands' as the current modding community has evolved in the ten years plus of the BG series a lot of modders have their own methods and quirks that make coding easier and more efficient to them. Different tools will have different user demands and requirements of function. Most tools that have sites set up for donation will recieve most donations after a stable, effective release. A lot of tools/mods have gone under mid development or after a beta because "that will do" kicks in from the developer, this would have to be a project of interest, not one of potential payout.

(Rules are linked in the grey box at the top of the page btw and the mods are really good at responding to questions as well if you're really unsure.)

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I've moved this to a new thread as it didn't really have anything to do with the CS one short of using it for promotion. I don't really have a problem with discussions on this so far. I think you're at least 5 years too late with this initiative, though.

4. UrzaAvenger Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Real life's more important for all of us I guess than IE modding/playing, and income's important for many. I'm eager to make this tool but also wanna some cash for the time/knowledge devoted.

My idea is that there may be some means between the two extremes (abandoning Baldur scene vs. 'professional' modder if exists at all). Some people seem refuse paying me even a single penny out of principel, my point is that every player just spends $5 and with 200 itemmaker fans that's more than $900 after PayPall fees! Don't need them paying in advance, just for progress... like putting milestones for donations.

Too bad my blog isn't known much and thus too few votes... On Bioware & other forums you always see "cromwell smithy", "item editor?" topics now and then... it reflects there IS demand...

Would be so good to get somme promotion for this initiation... just for voting. I'd even give some percent, say 5, from income to sites who help me promote the poll and it ends in positive result... That is, some income from people who're satisfied...

There could be milestones like (read the explanation carefully, the first impression might be misleading):
    1. start (pre-alpha example version): $0
    2. initial working version with quite good wizard: $300
    3. first version with complete working item wizard, WeiDU generator support: $600
    4. advanced version, full wizard, WeiDU generator, item locator, fan requests: ...
    So when a milestone's reached, I start working on the NEXT version and when finished, I release it. E.g. I immediately would start working on V2, and release it (regardless of donations) when finished; but would only START working on V3 when the V2 sum ($300) is reached. So the community would always get the current version for FREE, just I wouldn't continue as long as the milestone goal isn't reached. Sounds fair to me.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.