1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

A New Wave of Pop-Up Ads

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Kitrax, Jun 16, 2003.

1. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Ok, we all know about the old kind of pop-up ads...you know, the kind that pop up here at SP when going to different parts of the site. But have you had the annoyance of those pop-up ads that are in the form of a Windows message box? If you click "ok" it takes you to the advertised site, and if you click on the (X) button, another one will pop-up in a few minutes. :mad:

The most annoying thing about these new pop-ups are that they are usually advertisements for a site that claims to be able to block pop-up ads! :bang:

My question is, if you get a program like Message Blocker, will it actually work? Or is it just a big scam that makes every other pop-up recognizes your computer as "open for business"? :rolling:

2. Vengeance Incarnate Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I haven't tried any of those programs on my computer but my friend has one of them and those pop up ads seem to have been blocked(at least when I use his pc).

3. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

I hate the ones with big movies in it. My comp locks up on it, and after 30 seconds I can finally close the screen, wait another 15 secs, and then continue my work. :bang: Or the ones where the cross is offscreen, those are annoying too.

4. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    These types of pop-ups are called Spyware. They suck and I hate them. Go to this site for a free killer:

www.spybot.com

Hope it helps. Let me know.

5. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

That reminds me, I got a pop-up add for Gator ... I think from SP. I don't think that's normal ... can they force their adds through? Gator screws with my PC :(

6. trillex Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

If you use adaware to scan your puter should it find a cookie or something from SP that is, more or less, spyware.

I use Operas inbuilt popup killer and it works flawless.

[ June 17, 2003, 14:26: Message edited by: Trillex Le'for ]

7. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

The cookie is for a timer. SP checks your cookie, and only sends in pop-ups every 6 hours or so. As an added bonus, the companies only count people from the US and Britain.

Or at least, that's how it used to work.

8. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    As much as I detest popups, I at least allow the ones from here...because Tal has to keep the lights on somehow. And, IIRC, they don't "count" unless they actually pop up in your browser. I'm sure Tal could elaborate.

On a related note...if I see that offer for the boner pill one more time...I may...lose...control...

9. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

On the SP pop-up matter; I never installed a pop-up killer or anything similar, but when I load SP, I never get the pop-up anymore. This actually doesn't matter much to me, I only let it load in the past, so Taluntain got a few extra bucks, but I never payed much attention to it. I thought the pop-up was removed, but appearently it is still in place.

10. Sadistic Butcher Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Yeah, I got that Gator thing on my computer too, really annoying. There was one of those "in use" files that I couldn't delete for awhile. Still don't know how it got on here in the first place, I remember seeing a "do you want to download Gator?" and I always close those types of things.

I wouldn't trust a pop-up blocker made by AOL or MSN, mainly cause it'd probably run in the background all the time and screw with the other applications that you're running. It's funny when I'm playing Starcraft on Battle.net and someone complains about lagging, usually if you tell them to close stuff running in background it'll stop. They're on a 56k playing MP3's downloading off kazaa and chatting on AIM all while playing and they wonder why they lag :rolleyes: .

What I really don't understand, is that if you want to advertise your products successfully, why would you want to harass the person? Who's gonna be like "Gee these pop-up's are really annoying, maybe if I buy this they'll go away!". I suppose it's mostly just people trying to pay for their sites.

11. Elios Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

First of all, the adware DOES NOT always remove every single spyware program out there. Got this from a friend who works at Microsoft. (Too bad he can't score me free stuff lol)
    I used to get those pop-ups all the time. From what I understand they normally showed up when someone installed something like Kazaa. I never did, but now I get them. From what I understand they can just pop up on anyones computer when they are connected to the net.
    How did I solve this problem? Norton Personal Firewall. I never get a single pop up ad. You can disable the firewall to view a web site if its not loading, or for example SP, and then turn it back on again.
    I think it cost me around $50. I'd get it with a good virus program.

12. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    How about Alt-F4, no need to click on exit buttons and stuff..

But Mozilla has a pop-up blocker, and BTW, so does IE, just turn off Javascript ;)

13. Christopher_Lee Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Use opera browser - it's free and extremely splendid. Kills all pop ups...

http://www.opera.com/

The evaluation has a banner ad at the top of it, which extremely easy to ignore and not at all annoying.

14. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] OK, we need to clear up some things here...

1. You get a couple of cookies from SP, none of which contain anything remotely malicious or "spyware" or anything. The one that is created by the pop-ups only has a timer inside it that limits showing pop-ups to you to every 6 hours instead of loading them on every page you visit.

2. Gator has (had) intrusive popups that would install things without your approval. Sometimes such ads would slip into the SP pop-ups, but they should NOT be there and every time that happened I notified the pop-up providers to remove it at once. But I suspect Gator just pays them a bit more so from time to time a Gator ad still shows up (and soon gets pulled), but none have recently. I am in no way affiliated with Gator and I have a profound hatred for anything installing itself without approval, but this pop-up provider is the only one that pays even remotely decently, so I have no choice but to serve their pop-ups.

And as you could read in this thread, there are far, far more intrusive pop-ups out there (such you can't close, etc.), so the ones served on SP are actually of the least annoying kind.

3. SP redesign is coming up next month and SP will then offer a subscription where you would pay a few bucks a month and be able to surf totally ad-free across SP and the boards. No pop-ups, no banners, no skyscraper ads (which the new design will have) - just content. Otherwise everything will still be free as it is now, but those who want to support SP on a monthly basis will get a big return for their money, in my opinion. Besides being able to surf SP with no interruptions, the subscription will also entitle you to an avatar/portrait on the boards.

4. This containts a lot of SP-related material so I'm moving it to SS.

15. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I know and agree with you on this. I didn't think the Gator thing happend with your permission.

Subscription ... that's a great idea! Now I have to get my wife to let me ... ;)

16. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Not if you have an firewall, and if you don't... Well, it's the same as leaving your house wide open in Detroid city centre.

www.zonelabs.com
    www.agnitum.com

Here you can get one free. Really! As like without paying/voting/doing anything for it! :D

Btw, there is a lot more common name to that Gator thingie: a trojan. Or maybe a virus. They, too, install things without approval -be it an ad
    or something else.

17. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I know this is off topic, Tal, but if we subscribe do we get a free SP mug? :rolling:

18. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    No, heh. Merchandise will be separate.

19. The Soul Forever Seeking Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

SP gets cash every time a pop-up from SP opens on my computer?

Hmm...

What would happen if i clicked Back and Forward a whole bunch of times really fast?

We could get Tal a shiny new server if we all did that for a few minutes...

WE'LL BE RICH! RICH! RICH AS ASTRONAUTS!!!

Oh wait. Only Tal will. Eh. Still pretty cool.

20. Taluntain

Media:
    No, actually it wouldn't work. For one thing, I only get paid $3 for 1000 full loads of pop-ups (not pop-unders, those pay half less), so you'd have to be doing that back and forth for a few days.

However, and more importantly, only one pop-up & pop-under from your computer is counted every 12 hours. So you could keep opening them till you drop from fatigue but still only one would be counted in a day or so.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.