1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

A visit to Belgium

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Tap Dancing Oyster, May 4, 2005.

1. Tap Dancing Oyster Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

I'm going to Brussels for a long weekend later this month. I wanted to get some recommendations from fellow SP members on the things to do and places to see.
    Allright - I'll be honest - where can I go to have a decent night out and a decent drink. I'd like to avoid any potential problems with locals. So if there is anything in particular to avoid please let me know.
    If you have any other extra-curicula activities to recommends (that don't involve people dressed in skin tight leather) I'd be glad to know.

2. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Well, best place to try to find something to do at night is to go to "Grote Markt/Grand Marche" (note, I'm giving the names both in French and Dutch, up to you to see which you use. the format is Dutch/French). Around there are alot of cafes and such. Also, you should look in the streets around it, especially "Anspachlaan/Avenue Anspach" and the sidestreets around that lane.

This is unfortunately all the help I can provide concerning going out, since I usually don't go in the centrum for that.

Concerning no trouble with locals, I don't think you have to fear that much, as long as you stay in the centre.

Dunno if you're really gonna stay in the centre or not. Can always contact me through pm here on the boards if you want to ask more. That is safer than replying here as I don't check the boards that much.

3. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Go visit the Mini Europe park and the Atomium nearby. Lots of fun. :D Well, you could live without getting inside Atomium, but you'd better see it from outside. And you don't want to miss Mini Europe. :D

4. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Rent a car and keep heading north as fast as the car'll take you. Trust me, you'll be much better off with us dutchies ;)

If you wanna see weird, dual subtitling, go to a movietheater. :p

5. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

lol

well, if he goes to mini Europe, there's a movie theater right next to it and concerning the dual subtitling, it's not with all movies, especially not if their original language is Dutch or French :p .

Anyway, I agree with Chev, although I dunno how far the works on the Atomium have advanced. At least the top sphere is looking brand new.

Well, from you post I thought you didn't want to see touristic stuff, just go out. On the touristic side, there are the classics like "Manneke Pis". Nobody should ever leave Brussels without having seen it. It's more of a symbol than the Atomium, though much much smaller. The basilic (sp?) of Koekelberg is nice too, since it's one of the largest of Europe, and the view from on top of it is great (if the weather is nice at least). If you want I could ask around for stuff to visit. Just let me know if I have to do the effort.

Might also best tell me when you're coming, so at least I know if there's something special to do.

6. Tap Dancing Oyster Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

The post got moved - it took me a little while to track it down!
    Thanks for all your feedback chaps.
    I'm visiting a old mate whos a Brit, he lived in France for 6 or 7 years, he's now moved to Brussels to be with his wife and got a job in the EU (god help us).
    Apparently your Bank Holiday is on the 16th May so I am over for the 14th till the 16th. I think I know a little about the Manneke Pis (some sort of fountain, :) right?) I'll mention the others to my friend, not sure about the cinemas though.

Faragon, I'm off to Amsterdam sometime in June/July, we already have an schedule for that one.

looking forward to it.

7. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Ooh, about Amsterdam...
    It was one big constructionyard a while ago. Anyone who can tell if that is all gone now?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.