1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Acquiring HLAs

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by hendak, Sep 16, 2006.

1. hendak Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] A quick question---At what level do you start getting HLAs in ToB? I have it ordered, and will be receiving it soon, but I want to get all the HLAs I can for my solo Kensai/Mage/Thief. Is it the first level above the SoA XP Cap?

2. Lionheart Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

A quick question too...what is HLAs?

3. CamDawg

CamDawg The gaze of the Wolf reaches into our soul Veteran

HLA = High Level Ability. Stuff like Whirlwhind, Use Any Item, Comet, Storm of Vengeance, etc., etc.

The level varies slightly from class to class, but generally any time you level up with more than 3 million XP you'll get them.

4. hendak Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Thanks, CamDawg!

5. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Multi class characters start gaining HLAs from all their classes when they have a total of 3 M xp, so they can gain HLAs in relatively low levels. Mage MCs can not choose spell HLAs (like Improved Alacrity, Comet, Planetar etc) till they can cast 9th lvl spells. (which requires a 3M xp in mage class only)

Your K/M/T build will start gaining HLAs from three classes when you level up after 3M xp. You will not be able to choose new 9th lvl spells till you have a total of 9M XP though. (which is impossible without XP cap remover, and even if you do, good luck with that!) You will choose a new HLA whenever one of your classes level up, and you have a very rich pool. This means you will quickly be powerful.

Uh, I heard there was a slight bug about triple class characters not being able to choose all three class HLAs, but it is fixed in my game, so I guess some fix or patch fix it. I am not sure though.

Dual-class handles things differently, you start gaining HLAs when your active class hits 3M xp. This can really be troubling if you dual too late:if you already have 2M or more XP in the first class, you will still need another 3M xp to get HLAs for the second class. Once you gain HLAs for the first class though, you can still dual (if you wish it, but it is risky and hard and often pointless), when you get another 3M XP with second class, you will choose from HLAs of the second class only after then.

All in all MC route will yield more power in term of HLAs as you will choose from a large pool. Single-dualclasses on the other hand, enjoy higher levels of spell-casting:casting of true dweomors like Dragon Breath, Energy Blades etc earlier and easier.

6. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

There is a fix for it, but it removes some HLA choices to add in others. There simply isn't enough room for all of them.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.