1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

AD&D Books

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Kitrax, May 30, 2002.

1. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    [​IMG] I have been playing D&D and AD&D PC games for a long time now, and I want to try the real thing. I want to know what books to buy to get to know the rules, and how to play. (i.e. rule books) :rolling:

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Look no more. :p

Bookmark http://www.sorcerers.net/Books/index_man.php

Start with books from top to bottom. ;)

Ask if you need any details about any of them. Player's Handbook (or PHB) is what you should start with. After that, everything's more of a personal preference than not.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  3. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

DO you want to go for 3rd or 2nd edition?

Player's Handbook is enough when you want to play. But when you plan to go for Dungeon Master, or when you want to start a party without someone who already has D&D books, you also need the DM Guide and the Monsters Manual.

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] These days when everyone is switching to 3e and all games will be 3rd edition from now on it makes little sense to go for anything having to do with 2nd edition.

5. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    How many times a year/decade do they move up in editions? :rolling:

6. Llandon Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Not very often. The original game came about in the early to mid 1970's, and was the brainchild of Gary Gygax. The 1st edition of the "Advanced Dungeons and Dragons" players handbook was published in 1978. The second edition of the game came about in the late 1980's, but I'm such an old fart that I had really quit playing the game by that time. Now we're up to the 3ed rules. So you can see the game really hasen't changed that much in the past 25 years. The new rules, however, are substanitiall different than the first 2 editions, so IMHO you would be best off buying the 3ed rule books. Get them here from Sorcers Place!

7. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

I think 3rd edition is good for the next 10 years... however they might make some small changes....

I know 3rd edition will be bought most often now.... however I know people who still think 2nd edition is better.... A new edition is not always a better one, Tal.

I liked the 2nd edition and the 3rd one both.... for me, I don't care wich of the two I play, but some others in my party where new and 3rd edition is more clear. Another thing is that new updates, campaign settings and adventures will all be made for 3rd edition...

8. Taluntain

Media:
    The only people who think it's better are die-hard 2nd edition fans. Obviously not people who want to start from scratch. So your comment does not really apply.

9. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Hey ... I'm a die-hard 1st Edition fan ... where does that leave me?

10. Taluntain

Media:
    In the dust, with a framed picture of Gygax on the wall. :D

11. Llandon Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

LOL!

I'm right there with you Mathetais. But I was always mad that an Elf F/M/T could only get up to a max 7th level in Fighter and 11th level in MU. Ahh those were the good old days.

Hey....I HAVE a picture of Gygax!
    http://www.gygax.com/

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.