1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

advice for addition to party of 4

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by KevinS, Dec 24, 2005.

1. KevinS Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] So I started the game trying with a party of 4.
    Ran through 1/2way through Chap1 a couple of times with different variations, and settled on my guys.

Now I'm almost done with the IceTemple, and wondering if I shouldn't flesh them out with a 5th char, but I'm not sure what, and would like advice.

Current party, all Evil alignment

* Shield Dwarf Barb7/Fighter4. Total tank, 18STR, 22CON.

* Human Cleric10 (Talos). Summoner, Healer, backup fighter when needed.

* Tiefling Fighter7/Rogue2. Sneak, thief, ranged fighter with max DEX.

* Aasimar Sorceror9. All spellcasting, diplomat, loremaster for ID things.

I feel like I've got most stuff covered.
    I summon nasty undeadniks for addl tanks, sneak around with my Fighter/Rogue under inviso to scout out areas, then use my undead + Dwarf for front line, while the archer peppers with arrows, Sorceror throws in spells, and the Cleric is a utility infielder, fighting or spellcasting as needed.

I played around with a monk/druid for a lot of Chap2, but she simply was too weak to add much.

Characters that add due to fun of play are as impourtant, as I do the game for fun, not just to win.

Any advice?

2. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

Well I think you're doing just fine! Because I haven't played with your party I don't know how it's going, but if you say you're doing well, that's great!!!

I guess you could add another member to your team if you wanted, but if you're doing fine, why bother? You'll get more experiece that way and then level up faster so I guess if you're doing ok, there isn't really a need to add someone else.

I guess if you were going to, you could add another tank, which may need to be done in HoF, or possibly another arcane user, but just go with it and see what happens!

Also, just remember, do you think your teifling could be of better use as a melee fighter or what? Because I don't really like archers that much in IWD II.

3. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Arcane casters are the absolute rulers in HoF, mind you! Tanks generally run 'Help! Heal me! Those half-goblinoids score 108 damage each crit. hit!' :shake:

4. KevinS Gems: 1/31

quote: 'Also, just remember, do you think your teifling could be of better use as a melee fighter or what? Because I don't really like archers that much in IWD II. "

Wow. Really? My archer rules.

+3 composite longbow, bracers of archery, tons of cool arrows, lile a 23DEX and weapon mastery of a bow, and by end of Chap2 he's around +19 to hit, firing off three arrows a round.

He's my mage-killer from a distance - I just point him toward whatever spellcaster, and they can't get anything off since he's popping them 3 times/combat round. Even with an amazing concentration, nobody gets spells off.

I didn't juice him up STR or CON wise, just INT & DEX, so he gets skill points for the rogue work too.

He's sweet.

5. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

You could try the Bard. That is the only class that can stay at the back and still be useful at low levels. Don't bother leveling him up either. More XP for the party.
    The L1 song gives +1 to hit, +1 damage, and +1 saving throws, that should be enough for a while.

Mind you, any class is going to seem weak compared to your other charecters right now.

6. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

If your party works well, there is no need to add an extra member.
    You can of course cheat up the fighting XP your party members gain by adding low-level dummies and reach the level 30 cap with your four party members during the next chapter.

Since your characters are level10 already, all added characters are weak in comparison, especially spellcasters.

Druids need quite some levels until call lightning and static charge combined with scion of storms get powerful, monk levels don't help.

A bard gets useful faster. He gets useful songs fast, especially the songs gained at level 3 and 5 really help. His healing and buffing spells can help greatly.

With spell focus enchantment, high charisma (use Aasimar or Drow) and eagle's splendor my bard is very successful with his dominate person spell (works on nearly every monster except undead and trolls).

A second sorcerer could become a better enchanter than the bard if you don't like the other bardic abilities.

Rogue levels are more useful for your Tiefling than fighter levels

7. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

8. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

You much have the perfect 4 person party so you don't need anything else. You can take anything you want in that case. You might want a character with some Paladin levels to take advantage of the Paladin only item, or a Bard to take advantage of some cool Bard only items, or a Monk because they run around so fast.

9. KevinS Gems: 1/31

I'm debating adding the 5th as a Wizard, and having him focus strictly on Summoning spells.

Summon Monster, Animate Dead, Shades, Elementals. Maybe even specialize him as a Summoner.

More for role playing, and keep the sorceror as a firebombing + enchantment machine.
    Plus, god, I've got too many scrolls!

10. crucis

crucis Fighting the undead in Selune's name Veteran

KevinS, your choice of a 5th should probably reflect your playing style.

That said, I once played a party where I had wizzy who fit the mold you described above. I had her be a multiclassed ranger/conjuror IIRC, with very few levels in ranger. Just enough to be slightly stealthy and decent with a bow. And I had her be my primary arcane summoner, mostly saving my sorc for nuking spells. And adding in a small number of non-wizzy levels keeps the character from having spell levels with no scrolls to memorize.

And such a character is a good way to use all those arcane scolls you find.

11. JiggaJay Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Make yourself into a 3rd edition char and be the party leader. Just a suggestion.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.