1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

ALL PALADIN PROS AND CONS READ

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Elverath, Nov 29, 2000.

1. Elverath Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Why do so many people say that they hate paladins? i dont play them because i dont like lawful good alignment, i like rangers and fighters, but i dont go around screaming DEATH TO PALADINS! or SLICE THEIR GENITALS OFF! or bullshit like that. what do you have against them?

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I think our Paladin hating posters are just having a little fun and trying to get a rise out of the Paladin lovers; harmless really...

3. EternalPaladin Gems: 7/31

I don't understand it either, but I play along with it. Although I did notice someone was posting in the Paladins defense yesterday (rather rude, but yet funny still) and that person had to withdraw their remarks, because so many were harping.

Also, I did not hear about the slicing genitals thing, when you start talking about such things, I think the joke goes a bit to far...

4. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I've always liked playing them...In a lot of ways, especially in Roleplaying, it is a difficult/challenging character to play. Doing the right thing all the time is hard.

Think about it...Chaos is pretty easy, act on a whim, do what you want, when you want...Without ever having to deal with the consequences. How hard is that?

Now a paladin on the other hand, is tough...If you play them the way they should be played...Do what is right, just, honorable. Always find the hardest opponent to fight and defend the weak. Always the last to leave any battle, and on top of that - you must exemplify piety and chivalry. That's a high standard to live by.

Sure they're stuffy and haughty - But when it comes right down to it. Paladins have earned it!

5. EternalPaladin Gems: 7/31

Bravo Sir Belisarius! I mean I don't play them all the time either, but at least I resepect others and their character class.

6. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] This site always needs a little paladin love! LOL!

7. IronEagle Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

the only real problem a paladin has is... its worthless to get that room, at least with the guild and stonghold you get experience for certaint things.

8. EternalPaladin Gems: 7/31

I agree, the Paladin really doesn't get some of the cooler stuff like the mage or the fighter. Hopefully, I will get both with my fighter/mage

9. Septic Yogurt Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I really like Undead Hunters, there pros outweigh the cons all the way.

10. Wraith Blackthorne Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

All of the Paladin Kits are extremely powerful if used right.

Having the Dispel magic as an inquisitor has been very useful.

Where all the antipaladins at now?

This is supposed to be pros and CONS.

11. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Paladins are awesome in Pen and Paper and are much harder to play because of the DM.

BG2 and previous games, they are a joke. They don't live up to what Paladins should live up to. No Paladin would travel with anyone who was evil for instance, but you can do so if you so wish in BG2.

No Paladin is going to let you take down a towns folk just to lower your "rep" like you can do in BG2. It has all the perks of being a Paladin but none of the roleplaying toughness that you will find in any Pen and Paper campaign.

For that very reason is why I dislike Paladins in a CRPG. You have all these (excuse my french, or lack of) "tards" who love Paladins in CRPGs because they don't have to pay otherwise for certain actions like they would in Pen and Paper.

How many here would roleplay a Paladin in BG2 if per say, you had Minsc attack a towns person just to lower your rep so Edwin wouldn't take a hike only to have your main Paladin character kill Minsc for his actions?

Syl...

12. EternalPaladin Gems: 7/31

See, I agree with Sir Bel, and when I try to roleplay a character, I really TRY to roleplay them. For instance, when I used a cavalier, I kept a good or neutral aligned party and I never kill townspeople.

I could probably never live up to any standards that paladins do, in real life that is, but that is the fun of playing them in rpgs.

Oh, and an anti-paladin kit would be extremely awesome!

Syl: In a true rpg, being famaliar with Minsc's personality, I think both you and I know he would not kill any innocent townsperson.

[This message has been edited by EternalPaladin (edited November 29, 2000).]

13. Amon-Ra Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I have no qualms really with being a Paladin, save one. They are the quintessential good guy, and thus promote themselves as the best. In standard D&D, your enemies are most always evil, and the so the proverbial 'Knight in shining armor' comes to the rescue and leads the party. They often come off character wise as arrogant, self-righteous and judgemental. They detest working with non-good aligned characters, and often absorb all of the glory of smiting an evil. Basically, they are often played not as the humble guardians they are supposed to be, but as attention-and glory-seeking ego maniacs. Granted, this often is a problem with the player and not the class, but it happens alot.

I can see the advantages of playing a Paladin. In 2nd ed. they were basically fighters with clerical abilities. This is why they made prerequisites for Paladins. You had to roll really high and get rewarded by being able to be a Ranger or Paladin. But in Baldur's gate, there is no reason if you are a fighter, and don't mind pretending to be Lawful-Good, why you shouldnt be a Paladin.

Amon-Ra

14. Sol'Kanar Guest

Most of what I say is harmless teasing the paladin-lovers that seem all too numerous on other boards I've been to. They do bother me quite a bit though, with their preaching crap. I like to roast them

15. Ganz Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] I agree with Sir Belisarius's comments. And EternalPaladin is right when he says the joke has gone too far when vulgarity creeps in. I mean, I would like to think that I recognize kidding around stuff and I am all for free speech and everyone expressing their own opinions but after the point is made, enough already!

Sol'Kanar, I haven't been on other boards, just this one. But if as you say, paladin-lovers' preaching crap bothers you, don't you think that your paladin-bashing has the same effect on some people too? And another thing, I haven't seen any serious paladin-preaching on this board the past month, have you?

16. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Die paladins Die!
    I've said why I hate paladins so much before.
    Their goodly facade is just to hide their insecurity and dogmatism in insisting other people follow their ways. For that alone, my celestial fury really needs to slice off their less often seen body parts.
    Granted they're damned good in BG2 but hey, it's just my opinion.

17. ObLiViOn Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I hafta agree with Syl, BG1 paladins sucked, i hated their guts and hoped they would rot in hell. Only my opinion tho. flame me if u want, u just mite have some fun flaming me. In fact, PLZ flame me hehehe

18. Sol'Kanar Guest

I wasn't very clear on the preaching thing. On this board there isn't much of that, I was referring to the NPCs. They piss me off. Whenever I hear "Helm sees all, know that, and be judged" after my fighter punched some bum in the face, my hand immediatly dives for my wand collection. Anyhow I agree with Shura and Oblivion whole-heartedly. The goodly ways of paladins really influences my relationship (or lack there of) with paladins. I kill who I kill, when I need to kill them, I don't need to be burdened with some whining paladin.

19. EternalPaladin Gems: 7/31

Just wanted to say congrats to Amon-Ra and Ganz, because your both made strong and MATURE arguments for/against. I see a lot of truth and wisdom in what you both say. I have also made some observations that may have been stated before: (1)SOME people are thinking of the character class in stereotypic terms, not in roleplay terms. (2)SOME make statements/judgements off of these sterotypes and are thus, showing me they are just as judgemental as they think paladins are. (3)I hear alot of people calling the class "preachers," which is another stereotype. Actually clerics are more likely to be your "preachers" or so. In my experience I have often thought of paladins more of fighters and not preachers.

And to Shura, the only "insecurities" that I have seen anywhere relevant to this discussion are the ones you have brought in. I do not have a problem joking around with someone on these boards, because I have many times, but when you repeatedly say you "want to slice off their less often seen parts" I kinda take offence, not because I sometimes like playing a paladin, but because your comments are extremely vulgar, ususally sexually orientated, and ignorant. I mean, if you do not like a class that is fine, but do you have to take it so far? It often makes me wonder if anything ever happened to you.....

You are also kind of a hypocrite in that you talk of "slicing" with the celestial fury. Think about that once, using a sword of the heavens to harm those who usually best exemplify heaven itself.

Sorry for being long-winded, just had alot on my mind.

[This message has been edited by EternalPaladin (edited November 30, 2000).]

20. EternalPaladin Gems: 7/31

Sol'Kanar, man that is cool and understandable. I myself even get sick of the preaching of the NPC's now and then.

But I do not Kill them (this added in response to Ironeagle's comment)

[This message has been edited by EternalPaladin (edited November 30, 2000).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.