1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

alot is not a word

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Judas, Sep 10, 2002.

1. Judas Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

It's not. Call me a pedant, but "alot" is not a word. "Allot" is. It doesn't mean "a lot".

"Then" vs "than" really gets to me, too. "I have alot more then you." *shudder*

If there is a mistake in spelling or grammar that really gets on your goat, post it here.

2. Astin X Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

get over it, I have alot on my mind

3. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

hmm indeed, my english teacher always told that there had to be a space between a and lot

4. Astin X Gems: 6/31

yep, I know, it is like "their" and "there", figgin irritating

5. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] I have pointed that out before, but it's good to see it again.

Here's another one rampant on these boards: "noone". What is a noone? Surely you mean nobody, or no one.

6. Sick curtaiN Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Okay so which is correct? Atleast or at least?

:grin:

7. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    No one, and at least.

But I have a question that keeps bugging me...is it Let's or lets? what's the difference?

Ara
    (Hmm... ficcies... goody)

8. Maldir Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Let's is a contraction of let us.
    Lets are what happen in tennis when the ball clips the net after being served.

My pet gripe is the use of an apostrophe to show a plural; it's often seen in hand-written signs in shops, e.g. "Cabbage's 50p each"

9. Oblate Gems: 6/31

OK, i'm one with less grammatical knowledge. School is so long ago. I've got problems with where and were. "Were" looks so false. I always try to avoid this words. One day i wrote "vine" several times. It must be "wine" i think. It might be because of my grandmothers crossword puzzles. We have to know several words in very different languages. Maybe i thought about "vinum". Hm, and i might be the one who wrote "noone", but i'm not sure because "nobody" sounds better.
    I apologize for my bad grammar.

10. Keneth Gems: 29/31

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I concur, alot is not a word. It's either allot, aloft or a lot. Nothing else.

11. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Lets all just wait and see what Shralp has to say.

Noone knows as much about grammer as that Shralp dude do. He's knows alot of stuff about importint thangs. :thumb:

12. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Oblate: "Where" refers to a place, such as "Where are you right now?".

"Were" is a little more tricky to explain (one of those funny constructs of the English language ;) ). Its use is similar to words like 'was'. It is almost always used to refer to the past tense. For example, "Were you in New York at the time?". It often serves as the plural version of 'was'. An example that contrasts the two words: (singular) "I was in London" (plural) "We were in London".

Another one that I haven't seen above yet:

It's & Its ("It's" = contraction of "It is" and "Its" is the possessive)

13. the god Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] this requires an entire topic?

the inappropriate use of inverted commas before an 's' is more common than sticking words together anyway. :p

14. scarampella Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

The list is so long, how can I choose!?!

I often use 'alot' even though I know it is not the correct spelling. I wouldn't write it that way if I were writing an English paper.

I guess I like my spelling better. I mean, what is a LOT? It is a piece of land, or something one has a claim to. The two words 'a lot' don't describe what one word 'alot' does. And, we don't speak it that way either. I vote we change the spelling!

15. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

OK, pop quiz, hot shot. This question has been bugging me for a few days now and this seems a great place to ask it, for there are alot of people here with better knowledge of the English language. Which of the following sentences is correct: "You are smarter than me" or "You are smarter than I"

16. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Both!!

:D :D

17. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    They are both correct IIRC.

18. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31

If I remember my English grammar correctly, neither of those two phrases is correct ;) The proper sentence structure should be:

"You are smarter than I am." This is because a complete sentence requires that there be a verb for the pro-noun 'I'. Thus, the word 'am' becomes the verb that acts on 'I', just as the word 'are' is the verb acting on 'You' in the sentence.

19. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Hmmm.... I will ask my teacher :grin: . But you are probably right afterall we aren't really used of speaking english here. If you do... well lets just say my grades would get a bit lower :rolleyes: . The fact is that most of our teachers (with an exception of the english teacher) hate if we talk english. But that is just one more reason for us to hate them back :shake: :grin: .

20. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

Can't you just take that 'am' away. It can be done in Dutch, but I always say it wrong.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.