1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Alternative to ALFA

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Bellendaine, Oct 25, 2001.

1. Bellendaine Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Fellows,

I just received a rejection notice from ALFA for my CN wizard even thought I tried to do what the coaching people suggested and have been role playing for over 10 years, and I was wondering if there's any word on persistent worlds other than ALFA? I really liked the idea and was hoping to participate, but perhaps I'm too old or something, because he gave me no reasons why he rejected me, just did. And I know that happens and all, so I was just curious if anyone knew of any other worlds that were being developed who might be willing to let me be on the team.

2. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] I hope age has nothing to do with it. I was accepted about a year ago, but I hear things are harder now. I think they are setting limits on the number of certain class. They don't want a whole world of mages afterall. If you are a mature role-player (and I supect you are) I suggest trying again with a different class and/or race.

I really don't know what their standards are but I know other role-players who are excellent and didn't get in until the 2nd or 3rd time.

In regard to your question about another world based on NWN, no not at this time but I would guess others would be formed after the game is released.

Good Luck!

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Sure, there are plenty of other groups planning on making persistent worlds using NWN. Just use a search engine. I haven't researched any of them, but maybe Crawl will come along and post since I know he's been looking at some other places...

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited October 25, 2001).]

4. Bain Croix Banned

An ALFA rejection is not final.
    Simply rewrite the bio and try again.
    Why would you wish to belong to a world game where every slob was let in?
    If you have been playing for 10 years, then you know the value of having great players alongside you.
    Do not give up, simply do better.
    ALFA is the single best project out there. If you were to join another group, you would have to write one anyway. Why not take that energy and try one more time to gain admittance?

5. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

6. Erran Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] Yeah, if you don't pass your driving test do you say "that's it, I'm never trying again?"

There are other persistent worlds being formed. Many of them are pay for play, and the next largest (nwnonline)had 6 servers up compared with ALFAs 40 last time I looked.

Think originality. They've seen a gazillion 'my fanily were killed by orcs..."

7. Bellendaine Gems: 1/31

Thanks to everyone who replied. I appreciate the good advice that I received and the thoughtful comments ... with the exception of Erran whose reply was both offensive and insensitive since he has no idea what my application looked like and contained nothing about 'my family being killed by orcs.' To the rest of you, thanks for the thoughtful, respectful, and useful advice. To Erran, perhaps consider that the person posting these messages might genuinely be curious for help, and not insults, and may actually have an IQ higher than the average life expectancy and genuinely have tried to be original and interesting. Thanks.

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Whoa, aren't you being a bit too harsh here? No one accused you of not having an original or interesting character, but I guess Erran's conclusion derived from the fact that ALFA usually doesn't reject such, since that is actually what they're looking for. The line "killed by orcs" is simply the most common one that appears in character histories, but he never said YOU had such, it was just an example of what not to write. He tried to help, same as everyone else. I don't see him insulting you anywhere either.

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited October 26, 2001).]

9. Bellendaine Gems: 1/31

Erran and I have already spoken offline and he apologized for being flippant, so all is cool. And, no, I don't think I was being harsh based on my perceptions of what he wrote. But as I said, all is fine now.

10. Namuras Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Back to the original question then.

I'm in ALFA, but I think I'll play more in the Land of Argyle, mainly because it's a great world with compelling history, and we players get a lot of influence when it comes to building the world.
    I don't know if I agree that ALFA is the best world out there, but it's certainly the largest. I'm really looking forward to playing in ALFA, but I'll probably play more in Argyle.
    I've seen a couple of other promising worlds as well, but these two seems like the best to me.

So, if anyone doesn't seem to get into ALFA, there's plenty of alternatives. Should you happen to choose Argyle, make sure to register as a gnome... They're great. ;)

11. Snorri Guest

Argyle?, sound interesting, do you have a link?
    thanks

12. Namuras Gems: 13/31

A link you want?

Well, if you don't wanna search for it, and don't wanna go looking for it on the official Bioware boards, then this is what you're looking for:
    http://www.lonerhino.com/argyle

May we expect a dramatic increase in players now? ;)

Edit: Be sure to read as much about the land as possible before deciding whether it's a place for you or not. :)

[This message has been edited by Namuras (edited October 27, 2001).]

13. Snorri Guest

i will read as much as poss, and thank you for the link, we dwarves are very lazy sometimes.....

14. [​IMG] Hmm... originality?
    How about my familyhas been killed by AN orc.
    How's that for originality? Instead of plural
    we go for singular. Only one orc. Now that's original. Hahahaha. Am I going crazy? I've been rejected 3 times already and my brain is tired from writing bios. They're good. Hahahaha. Oh, I think I need some prozac.

But seriously now, I don't get why I keep getting rejected. Is there a rule where you have to live in America or sumthin'? Or is it
    that they do not let me in because I'm too young (I'm only 16 - yeah, that explains my childishness). I have 5 years experience in D&D. Isn't it enough? Ideas anyone?

15. Magnus Magicus Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

So now I know the secret rule :)!
    I'm from Europe (Holland) and have been rejected 3 times before getting accepted...

And I don't think your class is a factor in you rejection, for you may change it as much as you want.

Also age shouldn't be a factor. I know a HDM who's only 16 or 17 years old.
    Maybe a good idea to let go of your character totally and make something completely new up. Might work...it worked for me. Three rejections with a CG human sorcerer, and accepted with a NE human rogue.

Good luck!

[This message has been edited by Magnus Magicus (edited October 30, 2001).]

16. Bain Croix Banned

If you are from a country other than America, you should preface your bio with a note saying so.
    I believe that many times, they simply mistake a total command of the English language for stupidity.

And age is not a factor, as Thorin is a HDM (Silverymoon) in ALFA and he is only 16.

Good luck.

17. Shadow Assassin Gems: 13/31

Bain is looking for a Euro/America brawl aren't you? Just because someone is American doesn't make them stupid. Stereotyping is a form of ignorance.

I applied twice with druids and have twice been rejected, its been a while so maybe I'll try again this time with a rogue.

18. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Uhm... Shadow Assassin, that's not even close to what Bain said.

All he's saying is that when Engish isn't a person's first language, it is more understandable that his/her grammar may not be perfect. Someone from the US shouldn't have such problems.

In any case, there is already a field on the application that asks for the applicant's location.

19. Snorri Guest

I'm English and there are people in Japan and stuff that can speak better and write better in English that i can, u may have taken your country back, but we stil control u all through Englishism. Propaganda through language, now see Bains gone and depressed me, SHAME on you Bain.

20. Well, to clear things up, I'm from Malaysia and my grasp of the English language is adequate enough to be able to converse or write in it. I don't want to boast but I've never gotten lower than 92% in an English test my whole life. I don't know if that's good in America or Britain or whatever but that's pretty good here. I even read Shakespeare and Dickens willingly, just to improve my vocabulary. This post is not about flaming anybody, ok?, it's just to clear things up for people that my cha's bio was written in perfect English.

I hope I did not offend anybody and I understand that you didn't meant to offend anybody either. It's just I get really worked up if somebody comments on my English, but of course you didn't know that.

Cheers :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.