1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

America vs. the world

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Grog, Jul 6, 2001.

1. Grog Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I noticed that people on these boards are from many different countries and I was just wondering what people think of America and Americans in general. I'm asking because I have recently spoken to an English exchange student who said all of the English hate Americans.

2. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

3. Serora Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Not all Americans are arrogant! (If in fact they are at all!) Mabye it's just that SOME Americans are very slobbish, selfish, and vain. I know a few people like that.

4. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

The problem is that all non-Americans think that ALL Americans are just like president Bush or Simpsons family.

If you failed to convince outside world that you're nothing like that, try more harder.

This is a serious suggestion.

5. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] I think this is a total over generalization. Personally, I love being an American! I think America is the best of the world rolled into one place!

I have also traveled fairly extensively, and although I may enjoy the places I've seen - it's always nice to come back home. I know what you mean about snobby, arrogant Americans though, I've seen them when I travel abroad - and it is embarrassing to watch. When I see them, I generally keep quiet and move on - so I'm not included with them.

I never got the impressive that the Brits (Wales, Scotland, and England included) disliked Americans. In fact, I think everyone I met was really friendly. I spent many nights drinking in pubs with complete strangers - and I always had a good time!

I may be the exception to the rule...But I've always gotten along with everyone I've ever met while abroad. Well, except for this guy that tried to steal my wallet in Russia...That's another, much longer story.... :D

6. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

I dont think americans are that bad, it's kinda like a joke. and Americans are easy to make a joke about, because you hear of all the gun problems, and this very sleasy court (that's the impression you get from the TV).

though I think of an American as my second father, even though I only met him online. He tougt me a great deal of things, to bad he's not around any more. Guess no things last forever =/

7. Many English people have the image of Americans being shotgun-toting hillbillies, like Cleetus on the Simpsons. They also say things like "Only Americans are stupid enough for *Random putdown eg KKK, George Bush*"

This doesn't mean that i do

8. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Bel, what was that about arogancy?

The point is that we all love our countries, and we all think that they are the best places in the world.
    But we don't hit ourselves in chest and constantly pester foreigners to convince them into that.

[Edit]

Err, Trias, I don't think all Americans are ugly, stupid, arogant, or something else. I wouldn't even care if it was that way.
    I have no prejudices on people. No matter the country, the color, the point of view and such.

Problem is I'm rare occurence.

[This message has been edited by Extremist (edited July 06, 2001).]

9. shadow_thief Guest

Well actually, there are a whole lot of people who are from America and are stupid, arrogent etc. But there are a lot of people who are from America and aren't stupid, arrogent etc. I had a long lost friend in Pennisylvania who was a good friend to be with online. But I mean, I go to Canadien chatrooms only to find it's be dominated by some stupid Americans INSULTING Canada! By that, I'm hurt. :( I just LOATHE those have harsh feelings for things they've never encountered. Never judge a book by its cover!

[This message has been edited by shadow_thief (edited July 06, 2001).]

10. Serora Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Well said, Shadow! :)

11. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

You can find ignorant, selfish, slobs in every country in the world, they are the minority. Every country has great people also. We all could use to be a little less ethnocentric.

12. Tyresian Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Living in america i'd have to say that the ignorant selfish slobs are a majority.

:D :D :D

13. Bateluer Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

You will find arrogance in every country you visit, regardless of location.

I know many people in the US that deserve a good threshing to bring their ego down a peg. I also know several Canadians that need the same thing.

I love being an American, I love owning a Gun, I love shooting it on the weekends, and I love President Bush! :D

Edit = I also love this song, Lee Greenwood "God Bless the USA"

If tomorrow all the things were gone I'd worked for all my life
    And I had to start again with just my children and my wife
    I'd thank my lucky stars to be living here today
    'Cause the flag still stands for freedom, and they can't take that away

And I'm proud to be an American
    Where at least I know I'm free
    And I won't forget the men who died
    Who gave that right to me
    And I'll gladly stand up next to you and defend her still today
    'Cause there ain't no doubt, I love this land
    God bless the USA

From the lakes of Minnesota to the hills of Tennessee
    Across the plains of Texas, from sea to shining sea
    From Detroit down to Houston, and New York to L.A.
    Well, there's pride in every American heart, and it's time we stand and say

I'm proud to be an American
    God bless the USA

I'm proud to be an American
    God bless the USA

[This message has been edited by Bateluer (edited July 07, 2001).]

14. Orkrist the Cleaver Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Well that was a bit over the top, but OK.

I think one problem with America, being an American, is a strain of anti-intellectualism and there's a bit of a disdain for true education-we just like training to make money. Although we have these great universities and faculties, these places become more and more enmeshed with the corporate world they prepare students to work in and not purely places of higher learning, research or study, if they ever were. Do I make any sense?

We also don't have the history to draw from other nations do. We don't appreciate good design so much, either. I mean, only in America could a '77 Trans Am with an eagle on the hood and a 400ci motor ever be seriously considered as a production vehicle.
    But, our legal system (contrary to its image) is great. So is our ecopnomy and our culture is highly adaptable. As far as arrogance goes, I have noticed people in different parts of the US have different attitudes. When I lived in Chicago I lived right by the ball park one year, and I hated when the Cubs played certain teams because people from that town would be around my apt and I would have to hear them and deal with them! They really were jerks, but they were just compensating, as I'm sure our Ameri-tourists are, for their cruddy town!

I've travelled abit abroad, although not recently, and never had any problems or felt misjudged.

15. Vandalore Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Orkrish, that's one of the most intelligent things I've heard in a long time. It's good to see your ideas aren't dulled down like many people whom I've met over the years. It seems as though the individuals who once had an opinion, neglected it because it wasn't what society thought or believed.

If I recall correctly, Aristotle had the idea of two varying objects that fell at the same time would also have land at the same time, but no one believed him, even though he was like "Look, see you fools. You have had this all wrong this whole time." and showed them all first hand. Yet they still ridiculed him. Not until Sir Isaac Newton, did we actually believe.

I agree with Orkrish, the world says you need more and more training to be ready for the work place, a lot of it is a big scheme to make us pay more for further education. I mean seriously, how much do you learn in class that you use in the work place? Because every job will vary, it's impossible to be completely educated enough to know how everything works unless it's by the actual work experience.

16. Septic Yogurt Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Hmm, thats because in England, whenever we see an Amercan portrayed in any circumstances, they are stupid arrogant slobs that have the mental capacity of a slug on crack (no offence to slug).

I knew that Americans were ok in general, then I saw Deliverance.....

17. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] Well if you base your opinion on Deliverance and the daytime TV shows like Jerry Springer, JUdge Judy, etc...Then I'd have to agree.

Fortunately, there are some of us with a few brain cells to rub together - we just don't get much TV time. :D

18. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] First, I have to say a number of valid points have been made. But there is one glaring error I just have to correct: the United States does not, by any means, constitute all of America. America is made up of two continents: North America and South America. North America is in turn made up of three countries: Canada, Mexico and the US of A. But to refer to the USA as "America" is akin to referring to Germany as "Europe".

And yes, there generally is a high degree of arrogance within the USA. Not that patriotism is always a bad thing - here in Canada, I'd really like to see more people express some pride in their own country instead of always being so apologetic about ourselves. But the USA as a whole could really use a little humility -- there's a very real tendency within the USA for people to forget that there's a whole other world out there. Part of it, in my opinion, stems from the USA's education system. Every morning begins with the pledge of allegiance and the singing of the national anthem. History, as taught in schools, generally refers to US history, and little other history is ever taught. Similarly, Geography is limited to US regional geography, and very little else.

Outside of school, the general populace is rarely led to believe that there is anything else to the world. For example, Major League Baseball's championship is called the World Series (only two teams do not reside in the USA, Montreal and Toronto).

Additionaly, a number of inventions, innovations, etc, are often attributed to the USA, when the people responsible originated, and in some cases even lived, elsewhere. Alexander Graham Bell was a scottsmen who also lived in Canada as well as the USA; Albert Einstein moved to the US prior to WW2 from Germany; the majority of achievements that led up to the moon landing were a direct result of the work of German (and other European) scientists that fled before, during and after the second world war to the USA (many of the same ones were also involved in the Manhattan Project, which saw the birth of the nuclear age), etc, etc.

Now, from all of this you may think I'm completely against the USA -- I'm not. I'm actually a US citizen (dual Canadian and US), born in Akron, Ohio (rubber capital of the world and home of the Goodyear Blimp). But I now live in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Most people in the US are like everyone else in the world - nice, and generally well-meaning. But they are often misinformed, and they tend to take themselves, and their country, just a little too seriously.

19. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

although im russian born ive grown up in america and ive grown to love it. aside from imbred hicks and various unsavory characters that appear on certain talkshows including the talkshow hosts themselves, america is a great and diverse place. the people are all different with all kinds of people from all walks of life living here, and although ive seen some rude people and even some that can only be dicribed as tight-assed ass-clowns, that is not the truth about the majority of american people, and besides youll find just as many jackasses in other countries. believe me. and the TV here is great, so in closing "hey america youre so fine, youre so fine you blow my mind, america" -bart simpson, but seriously this is a great place to live and truly the land of opportunity. hell if i hadnt of come here id still be in russia working as a clerk for less than 16th century slave wages ;)

20. Vandalore Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Gnolyn, just earlier today I was debating with a couple of my friends from Germany about the whole differences in the school system. You raise a similar point, growing up in the North American schools. You hear about how great America is and are taught patriotism at a very early age, but you never hear the bad stuff we did until much later. Also, what pisses me off is that we are not educated of other countries. We only learn how we went to war with them and won..blah blah (insert an egotistical patriotism slur here). I mean hell, why don't we ever talk about the advantages other countries have over us? It's like we are taught in school that there is no other country, only America. It upsets me.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.