1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

> American picks a Premiership club to support, interesting article

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Barmy Army, Jul 21, 2006.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
  2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

It's funny how people outside of a country choose local teams to support. My personal examples:

I chose to support Aston Villa in the 1980s because they had a funny name and they had won the FA Cup 3 times.

I chose to support the Kansas City Chiefs because I was a fan of The Wizard of Oz at the time.

I chose to support the San Jose Sharks because that is where I lived for a few months and I went to one of their games.

I chose to support the Orlando Magic because I went to a Magic game whilst on a Contiki tour of USA.

3. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    As a long time Bill Simmons fan and a soccer fan I enjoyed the article. However, I was disappointed with his choice. I am jumping on the Liverpool bandwagon.

4. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

The ICF is not going to like what he says about West Ham there. Bill Gardner is not going to be amused either. :D

5. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

I read the article with some interest (although the references to American sports teams went completely over my head, for the most part), as I've always felt a bit of an outsider watching the Premiership, even as an Englishman. Yeovil born, you could call the Glovers my first team; but as a kid it was the Premiership on TV and I'd back Spurs because they had players like Gazza and Lineker and they have the same ethos as Yeovil: perennial nearly-men concentrating on fancy, passing football. So I can see exactly where this guy's coming from, as football isn't really top dog in the Westcountry either, where we've traditionally cared more about our Cricket and Rugby teams.

But at least he made a solid choice. Although if he comes to any matches he'd better not admit to having "who has the best jerseys" as a criterion. :shake:

A couple of things, though. Firstly, West Ham nowadays are hardly what I'd call a hooligan club. Back in the '70s or 80s, sure, but not now. Green Street (A.K.A. Frodo goes to football :lol: :shake: ) just isn't a reliable source, I'm afraid. Also, it seems a bit contradictory to rule out the top 4 teams as having "too much bandwagon potential" and to then immediately plump for the #5 team.

He did get one thing bang on: Martin Jol is awesome, built like a miniature giant (if you see what I mean... :shake: ) and probably the best manager in the league at the moment apart from Wenger. Although Spurs are still more likely to flatter to deceive than actually acheive. But that's all part of the joy/pain isn't it? (Strange how you can never really separate those words in football, isn't it?)

6. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Spurs ('the Spurs' he sayd they should be called?) are my Premiership team, simply because of one thing. They are always wlling to take risks on young English players, which is something the other big teams never seem to want to do...

*hides from Pac man for liking Spurs :shake: *

7. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Nah, Spurs is okay...at least it's not Millwall. :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.