1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

And the deaths keep on comin'! (yep, it's a bug)

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Zamiel, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Zamiel Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Yay, yet another bug to deal with. Various NPCs throughout the game are dying instantaneously, the moment anyone from my party appears on the same area. For instance, right when we descend into the sewers below the temple district Keldorn dies. And Keldorn is just one of *many* (others include Chief DigDag in Firkraag's Lair, the Amnish guard captain who is supposed to question the party at night in the government district, and the Amnish guard at the city gates who takes a bribe from the shadow thief).

I have no idea why this is happening. I've checked the CRE files of every character who experiences this instantaneous death and all seem to be ok--their HPs check out, etc. I've checked some of the BCS files using NearInfinity and those seem ok. Someone out there must have experienced this problem as well. Someone?

Here are the mods I've installed recently--this instant death bug had never occurred prior to my recent batch of installs:

- Ascension
    - Dark Ritual
    - Oversight
    - Redemption
    - Refinements
    - Tactics

2. Prine Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Never heard of anything like this, but it sounds like it's BCS-related. I'd look up the death variable for one of the affected CREs and try running a search through the BCS files for it.

3. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Ugh this is scary! Wish I could help you!

How do they die? Take X damage and die, or is it just plain death? Mm curious indeed. :confused:

I have your mods and plus 30 more mods and never encountered such a bug. Weird indeed. :cry:

4. Zamiel Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

It's just an immediate death; i.e., the text reads "Chief DigDag - Death" the instant the area finishes loading. If I use the CLUA console and do a CreateCreature("firorc01") (create another Chief DigDag) the same thing happens again, ad nauseam. There's no delay--they just keel over immediately. Another weird thing occurs, upon generating a new character: Keldorn's death sound is played ("Unhhh!") the moment the "generate new character" screen opens. Yes, something is amiss.

@Prine

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try it out, though I have the sickening feeling I'm looking at a complete uninstall-reinstall of everything. I was going to do so anyway as I plan on picking up the original BG Saga and doing the Tutu/Trilogy thing.

Edit - Here's what Chief DigDag's decompiled BCS looks like (nothing revealing here):

IF
    See([PC])
    OR(2)
    NumTimesTalkedTo(0)
    NumTimesTalkedTo(1)
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    StartDialogueNoSet([PC])
    Enemy()
    END

[ March 10, 2006, 20:41: Message edited by: Zamiel ]

5. Prine Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

It could be an area BCS, or baldur.bcs, or even something attached to your protagonist or one of your party members... you're looking for a Kill() command, I suppose.

Edit: when I said run a search through the BCS files, I didn't mean a manual search. :) You can look through the NPC's attached scripts to check whether there's a Kill(Myself) anywhere, then use search>text search>BCS and enter, say 'Kill("keldorn")'.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.