1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Anime anyone?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Mhalek, Apr 27, 2001.

1. Mhalek Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Do we have any Japanese Anime fans on the boards? If so tell me what your favorite Japanimation flicks are. As for me, Ninja Scroll and the Record of Lodos War series.

2. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I saw the whole Samurai-X run. And Gatekeepers was kinda good. I hear Ghost in The Shell is excellent. But NINJA SCROLL R0X0RZ! Jubei Kimagami(spelled?) Is the BEST! Ninja Scroll is the best Anime I've ever seen. Excellent Characterization and story, and excellent villains. Loved his orgin. And there was some nudity ;) btw, I've heard Perfect Blue is pretty good. Is it? Worst REAL Anime I've seen is "Sword for Truth" I understood it, but there was nothing in the damn thing except lots of senseless sex and violence. Literally.

3. Vandalore Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Senseless sex and violence is the best! Especially when it comes in a consequence free environment.

I'm not an dedicated fan of anime, but I occasionally catch a good anime flick. The last one I watched was Princess Monenokie (sorry if I slaughtered the name), I thought it was really good. Other than that, I've seen Akira and a few others.

4. Bowie Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I'm in the same boat as Vandalore, I've seen Princess Mononoke (mainly because Neil Gaiman did the English translation), Akira and Ghost in the Shell (plus the occasional episode of Speed Racer :)).

I liked them, but I can't seem to stay up to watch the whole thing at once. I don't know if it's just me, or what, but halfway into all three of these movies I was falling asleep and had to watch the second half in the morning when I woke up. It wasn't that I didn't like them or was bored, just something about them seems to lull me to sleep. Maybe Japanese subliminal messages are hypnotizing me. :)

5. Sapiryl Gems: 7/31

Well, I used to think that anime consisted of Pokemon and a few others. The members of this board helped me to see the light, and I have quite a list.

Ninja Scroll - rocks!
    Wicked City - creepy but good
    Appleseed - good
    Lodos Wars - excellent
    Ghost in the Shell - excellent
    Macross Plus - (not new, but excellent)
    Trigun - rates everywhere from corny to excellent.
    Evangelion - excellent
    Akira - excellent
    Street Fighter - excellent

Anyone interested in anime music videos? You know, Ninja Scroll scenes set to Rob Zombie's Dragula? Go to www.OtakuVengeance.com and check out their videos. Then go to the webring link they have and check even more. Kusoyaro and Aluminum Studios are really good. www.atomxonline.com has some nice Final Fantasy vids as well.

6. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Yeah I saw SF2, it rocked! Neil Gaiman did it? What was the stroy about? Have you read any of his Sandman stories or his "NeverWhere"?

7. Sapiryl Gems: 7/31

Oof, sorry, wasn't expecting a question. :D

If you saw it, you should know what it's about...but in a nutshell:

Bison is almost like a terrorist. He wants to take over the world. He also has the power to possess the minds of people. Guile and Chun Lee are supposed to stop him. Ken and Ryu are Bison's next victims.

See Spot run...

8. Bowie Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

R'syil: Neil Gaiman did the translation of "Princess Mononoke". The script was first translated literally into English, then he reworked it so the words would sound natural (i.e. NOT like "All your base are belong to us." :)). Billy Bob Thornton, Gillian Anderson, Billy Crudup and Minnie Driver (among others) all did the voices for the English verson. It's a fantasy about a boy who leaves his village in search of a cure to a curse he got while defending the rest of the village from the same curse.

Also, yes I've read all of Gaiman's Sandman comics, all the short stories I can find, Neverwhere, Stardust, Signal to Noise, Mr. Punch, and others and I can't wait for "American Gods" (his next novel) to come out.

9. Icecold39 Banned

I love to watch anime. my favorite is ninja scrol. I havent seeen to many movies though. I am only 15 and i am not legally allowed to buy the movies. I just seen a couple of my brothers movies.

10. Tenchi Muyo By Far. Outlawstar
    Mobel sute gundan

11. SlimShogun Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Oh, man! This thread brings back pleasant memories our recently departed friend icecold...(sR_y CNt spil nly 15)

12. PowerPuff Guest

I suppose I could be referred to as an Anime fan... I haven't seen all that many, really, but the ones that are part of my not-quite-so-vast collection of DVDs, I rate as follows:

- Perfect Blue: Possibly the best Manga I've seen on film so far, but some of the scenes were rather disturbing. (Never thought I'd find myself upset by a bloody cartoon, but there you have it...)
    - Ninja Scroll: Very good, very entertaining. (Nice villains, though I'm not too sure about that bee-hive guy)
    - Blood: The Last Vampire: Basically a technical masterpiece, and very cool to watch. It was too short, though, and never actually revealed what was going on in the film. (I'm still wondering why she was the last original vampire, and what was so unoriginal about all the others)
    - Ghost In The Shell: A classic, basically.
    - X: Cool-but-not-quite-as-cool-as-Ninja-Scroll. I had to watch it a second time to understand the plot...

[EDIT:] I forgot about Princess Mononoke. I have pr def seen it, but I wasn't really paying attention...

[This message has been edited by PowerPuff (edited June 11, 2002).]

13. total Guest

I saw:
    Rurouni Kenshin Movie, OVAs, series - very relaxing, good for sunday afternoon

Berserk - great series, but i disliked ending

Trigun - funny, corny? not for me, A+

Bubblegum Crisis - nice story, but to much girlie stuff, sorry girls, but i dont like "Girls saving the day" stuff ;)

Slayers - now this is another story, "sexistic" jokes all over the place :)

Tnech Muyo - :lol: funny story, but some may not like it

Serial Experiments Lain - heard about it but never had enough courage to watch it

Neon Genesis Evangelion - i looked some, too hard to fully understand for me at some parts

Hellsing - bes vampire story i saw

Cowboy Bebop - cool, but didnt like it so much as i should :confused: ? :lol:

FLCL - series on LSD

Movies:
    Akira, Ninja Scroll, Princes Mononoke, Ghost In The Shell, Battle Angel Alita, Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro, Patlabor 1&2, X

14. MoonMeister Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] A really good one is :grin: THE FLAME OF RECCA, 42 episode series, fan-sub only (so it may be difficult to find unless you have a local anime store nearby and is not yet translated but has subtitles) But this anime series has some of the coolest villians and action scenes.

:spin: ESCAFLOWNE, a 22-24 episode series, is also very good, a tech/sword fantasy with very memorable characters. Some of you may remember a very graphically detailed cartoon that was taken off the air shortly after it began a few years ago because it was found to be too violent for the kiddies on the FOX network. But even though it was taken off the air, it happened to be translated to english and is available out there at specialized video stores. I don't think Blockbuster has it.

Another interesting anime i've seen is :eek: LAIN, I don't think this one has a translated version yet, but anyhoot, its quite different from the rest, a little too abstract at times and often confusing and twisted. Not for those who crave pure-action. It is mainly focused on this girl that has the ability to transverse the real world and a virtual (future Internet) world that has strange effects on both worlds.

-MM

15. Sapiryl Gems: 7/31

I've expanded my anime horizons a bit (new stuff):

Cowboy Bebop is utterly fantastic, best anime ever!
    Outlaw Star was "ehh"
    Handmaid May was childish but extremely funny.
    Ranma 1/2 is funny but a tad corny.
    Yu yu Hakesho (spelling?) is all right.
    Pilot Candidate is all right.
    Gundam Wing is great but a little bland.
    Blue Gender is great.
    Tenchi in Tokyo is awful.

Animes I haven't seen but want to:
    Saber Marionette J
    Armitage
    X
    Berserk
    Bastard!

16. Invoker Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

What?! No one has mentioned Neon Genesis Evangelion? If you haven't watched that series from beginning to end, you have missed one of the greatest animes of all time! :)

EDIT: Oh and Sapiryl, the other animes are ok but make sure you watch Bastard! It's damn cool! ;)

[This message has been edited by Invoker (edited June 11, 2002).]

17. Sapiryl Gems: 7/31

[​IMG] I shortened Neon Genesis Evangelion to Evangelion and put it in my first post in this thread. I've seen the series, but I have NO clue as to what the last two episodes are supposed to mean. I got so lost, I couldn't have found my way out of a paper bag.

Good thing the movies cleared that up...at least partially.

-----EDIT------

If you get the chance, go to www.animemusicvideos.org and search for Cowboy Bebop and Weezer. Download the AMV of Only in Dreams. It's 80 megs, so sorry to you dial-ups, but it's absolutely brilliant. Really captures the mood of the anime, and the song is great.

[This message has been edited by Sapiryl (edited June 11, 2002).]

18. Invoker Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Ah sorry I've missed that :)
    I thought the series ending was just spectacular. *spoiler*

3rd impact happens and minds merge but Ikari locks himself out and the last 2 episodes are on that. Of course that made fans so mad :)
    Although the director didn't want to make a movie, he got so many complaints that he had to shoot that clear action filled fan wanted movies and I think he kindof got back at the fans killing people right and left :D

19. herf Guest

I've seen very few anime movies, really only into the comics. The Akira comics rock :D

The movie Slayers sucks so much it's unbelievable, there was no plot, the villains were over done and the main character spent the movie having fun poked at her breasts. An offence to Anime...

Currently I'm trying to see the movie "Angel Sactuary." I've had some good reviews from friends but no-one seems to have mentioned it. Also it only comes with subtitles, no dubbing... Then again, that's true anime :D

I'm dieing to see Akira, I read the comic about 7 years ago but I've never seen the movie.

[This message has been edited by herf (edited June 11, 2002).]

20. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

[​IMG] Right, why hasn't anyone commented on the absolutely wonderful Escaflowne yet!?
    Big robots, Big Swords, Lots of Magic Action, and a score-ful of spiky hairstyles and fit girls... that's what japanime is all about right?

But seriously, apart from Ghost In The Shell, this one has gotta beat all the rest. Some very memorable characters and you really get into it. It's about 27 episodes long IIRC.

Anybody heard of Macross? About some people on the island Macross finding an alien ship, going into space finding they can't get back, and having planes that transform into massive robots on-boards. It's very very good!

[edit] I just saw MoonMeister's post, im glad we have some like-minded people here. Another adittion, anybody seen Samurai Jack? Not really anime but an awesome serious/semi-wierd cartoon!
    Tenchi? Didnt really float my boat..

[This message has been edited by Gopher (edited June 11, 2002).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.