1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Annulling magic...

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by argon, Jan 26, 2002.

1. argon Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Could someone explain the difference between the difference magic dispelling spells? (ie Remove Magic/Breach/Pierce Magic/SpellStrike/whatever)...somewhat confused :/

What is the best combination of these spells to use against a fully protected mage? I try to Breach but it says the spell can't target invisible/sanctuaried creatures, can I use Remove Magic to get rid of that, or do I have to use Oracle/True Sight?

Any explanations appreciated :)

2. StressedE Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Just read the spell descriptions it's all there. Some dispel one protection some dispel more, some dispel up to eigth level, some up to fifth etc.

3. Lord Sarevok Guest

Well, a lot of them aren't really needed...

For getting rid of spell protections stick with the 4th level Secret Word which which dispells one protection of 8th level or lower until your enemies start casting Spelltrap(usually Lichs).

Then you should switch to Ruby Ray of Reversal, which can dispell spell trap.

Warding Whip is like an improved version of Secret Word as it dispells multiple 8th level spell protections or lower, but usually the enemy mage isn't protection by more than 2, so just use 2 secret words, and save some of those spell slots.

I don't recommend using Pierce Magic or Pierce Shield, the only thing they do is lower the enemies magic resistance a little, which is useful against some mages like Dragons, but totally never comes in effect against most.

You're better off using the 5th level spell lower resistance for that.

I'm not sure about dispell magic, I mainly use it the undo effects on my party members, not use it on mages themselves, but I'm fairly certain it can dispell just about anything...

When it says "cannot target invisible creature" you'll have to cast some invisible detecting spell. Note that most enemy mages cast the 5th level Shadow Door, so unless it can dispell that, it's not worth memorizing. The best one for the job is True Sight, which dispells ALL illusions within a large area effect every turn, which stops them from simply casting it again.

For combat protections like Protection From Magic Weapons and Stoneskin, the 5th level spell Breach gets rid all of them, this is why mages usually cast Shadow Door so you can't target them with this. Doesn't take long for a mage to go down with all of his combat protections removed.

I don't recommend using spell protection busters against enemy mages, just do a true sight followed by breach. Against enemy spell casters like Demons or Dragons, spell protection removers and lower resistances are a must, as with their very low AC, magical damage is the only way to get some good damage in.

Some spells like Fireshield aren't dispelled by anything expept Remove Magic or Dispell Magic, so use this as a mop up Dispeller to get rid of anything you missed.

4. strange_machine Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

-Remove magic is like dispel magic but it only affects enemies only. It dispels magic effects given from spells, potions, items, etc...

-breach: dispels combat protection such as, Shield, Protection Circle, Resist Fear, Protection From Fire/Cold, Fireshield, Protection From Acid, Protection From Electricity, Protection From Magic Energy, Protection From The Elements, Protection From Energy, Shield, Protection Circle, Resist Fear, Protection From Fire/Cold, Fireshield, Protection From Acid, Protection From Electricity, Protection From Magic Energy, Protection From The Elements, and Protection From Energy. Magic resistance and saving throw does not affect this spell! woot

-pierce magic this spell is cast upon a target creature there will be two major effects. The first is that the creatures magic resistance will be lowered by 1% per level of the caster. The second is that it will cancel one spell protection of 8th level or lower on the creature. Magic resistance does not affect this nor does any spell protection.

-spellstrike is cast at a target creature, it will dispel all of the magical protections that surround that creature. This includes: Minor Spell Turning, Minor Globe Of Invulnerability, Spell Immunity, Globe Of Invulnerability, Minor Spell Deflection, Spell Turning, Spell Shield, Spell Defection, Spell Invulnerability, and Spell Trap. The target's magic resistance, if any, does not affect this spell.

Another good spell removing is khelbens warding whip. When this spell is cast on the target creature it will dispel one spell protection of up to 8th level in strength. Every round thereafter, till the duration of the spell expires, another spell protection will be removed from the target.

Also ruby ray of reversal. hen this spell is cast on the target creature it will dispel one spell protection of any level. The spells that are affected by this are: Minor Spell Turning, Minor Globe Of Invulnerability, Spell Immunity, Globe Of Invulnerability, Minor Spell Deflection, Spell Turning, Spell Shield, Spell Deflection, and Spell Trap. The target's magic resistance, if any, does not affect this spell.

Secret Word is a goody too. When this spell is cast at a target creature it will dispel one spell protection of 8th level or lower. The spells that are affected by this are: Minor Spell Turning, Minor Globe Of Invulnerability, Spell Immunity, Spell Deflection, Spell Turning, and Spell Shield. The target's magic resistance, if any, does not affect this spell.

Basically, just cast those and you'll be fine. I don't think particular order really matters, just cast and the mage protection will come down. Although, other people may disagree with me. I just know that i use breach/secret word like a madmen. In the later levels, i'll use warding whip and pierce magic. I have never use spellstrike because i prefer to highlevel nine slots to open up for a better spell. As for remove magic, i use it alot when i'm fighting enemies that have spells casted on them like haste, chant, bless and crap. I hope that helps.

5. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    True Sight, Breach, Whack him to death...finito.
    (quite short, heh?)

6. Yeah . . . but add a Ruby Ray of Reversal for the mages that just stack up on protections.

7. zheng89120 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

To remove spell protection, I just use 1 or 2 secret words. If they get spell trap use you store bought Ruby Ray of Reversal. I dont see why people want to use so high leveled spell removers where there are much more practical high level spells to use.

8. Laksol Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

[​IMG] Does Secret Words work on Globe Of Invulnerability?:book::idea:No.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.