1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Anyone ideas for a new game?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Ancient Galatan, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Ancient Galatan Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] Well, i'm going too play the game again, and i would like too ask if anyone can inform me wich mods too install, and wich class is good too solo with.

2. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Oh boy. This should be interesting. Everyone has their favorite mods and favorite class.

I will answer the first part of your post with the mods I have installed.
    I assume you have the official patch & Baldurdash for ToB installed. Now I have the following:

Ascension/Redemption (2 mods), UB.TP2 (Unfinished Business), The Magnificent Magic Shop, Ease-of-Use, Dungeon Be Gone, G3Tweaks, Item Upgrade. I have several others but if you are soloing you don't need them.

I have been selective with mods that give you a choice of what to install. I suggest you go to the Mod Review forum and check them out. See what might interest you.

My favorite class: Someone I can make neutral-evil.

3. Ancient Galatan Gems: 10/31

Well, i have a mountain of Mods, but i'm not going to use them all, because i know some mods don't work with the other.
    Here is al list of wich mods i want to use.
    So if anyone can help in wich way i should install them, i would be happy.
    Unfinished Business v10
    Ascension
    Redemption
    The Darkest Day + patch
    Shadow over Soubar + patch
    Weimar Tactics Mod
    Improved Oasis v2
    Neverending Journey + patch

4. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

The only way to install all of those is with the Big Picture mod, located at http://forums.forgottenwars.net/index.php?showforum=192 which adds Darkest Day, Soubar, Ascension, much of Tactics and Tortured Souls. Read the install guide for Big Picture - it tells you how to install it. It has the potential for Neverending Journey compatibility, requiring another file, which can be found in the same place.

I'd be more precise, but that forum seems to be down at the moment.

5. Ancient Galatan Gems: 10/31

That link doesn't work, pls give another.

6. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

The site is down at the moment. It will probably be back later.

7. CĂșchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

To Nakia Nightshadow can you let me know where you got 'The Magnificent Magic Shop'? I cannot find this anywhere and it sounds very interesting.

Dunegon-be-gone is great if you are like me and are always starting over. I hear the banter packs are great so I am going to be downloading this tonight.

8. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

9. Kulyok Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Is it possible to have BG1+TOSC+SOA+TOB put together without any other mods ? Big picture adds other mods, and I don't want that.

10. Ancient Galatan Gems: 10/31

I have a problem when Big Picture installed, it keeps sayin "Assertion failed in ChDimm.cpp at line 834".

11. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Unfinished Business is now V13.
    Ascention, Redemption and Virtue are a few famous mods. Just about anything by Weimer too.
    FMT is the favorite for solo.

@Kulyok
    BG Tutu allows you to play all the way from BG1 to ToB. Its there in the games section of this site.

12. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

As there don't seem to be any answers to this yet, I would suggest the Ranger / Cleric multiclass as that covers a wide range of buffs for various situations (e.g. Negative Plane Protection when encountering vampires), covers Druid and Cleric spells, can simulate most thief activities (Detect Traps, True Sight, Holy Power to smash locks), and is an OK melee fighter for those encounters that don't need magic.

13. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Nein. Nein. Ranger/Clerics are too powerful. Besides, they dont achieve full potential because of being a multiclass, which is a different proposition from a solo.

Hence...I'd suggest a single classed Kensai! :D

Or, an Archer. They're always cool.

Or, for lack of anything else, a Bard would be great, especially because they can be good support characters.

14. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Well, since you're doing a Solo run through of the game...forget ALL the mods that add any NPCs, or NPC interaction (i.e. Kelsey, Solaufein, Flirt Packs, Banter PAcks).
    My recomendations are:
    Ease-of-Use - Not all of the componets...
    Tactics - Again, not all of the componets, but many of them are worth it.
    Ascension - it's a good mod, as long as you don't install redemption as well.
    Oversight - The name of the mod says enough... :rolling:

15. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

Faraaz wrote:
    :confused:
    I don't understand the reasoning behind this.
    IMO a multiclass achieves "full potential" because he is multiclass. Especially so when soloing because you gain levels so very fast.

16. Ancient Galatan Gems: 10/31

Well, opinions enough i see.
    But i think i am going too choose a Monk, but where are these good at?

17. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I consider them "side-fighters" - as long as you make sure they let someone else (a true tank) take the hitting and they attack from the sides, they pack a terrific punch. Also, with levels they can become wizards' worst nightmare: can use stealth, have high number of attacks per round, high damage (can get to 1d20 without any bonuses at level 16), high magic resistance (peaks at some 80%), decent saves, some immunities... Its one of the classes that only gets better with time, IMO, and as they follow the cleric level-up scheme, they get better quickly. Problem - some weapon restrictions, but with the carnage you can inflict bare-handed, the only things you might need those 3 quick-weapon slots you're so generously given are ranged or slashing / piercing damage-dealing weapons. Plus, their inability to get hasted magically can also be a pain... though they are quick enough anyway.

18. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

@Earl: I didn't read the bit where he said he was soloing. My bad...

If he IS soloing...R/C's are the BEST!! I kinda said that...but assumed he was playing in a party.

Monks suck. No doubt about it.

The extra MR and immunities are nice, but they plain suck.

They can't wear armor.
    Their fists are never enough to hit the more strong enemies until they're level 20...which is way too late.
    They can't be HASTED!!! This sucks so bad, its not even funny. No more Improved Haste!! HORRIBLE!!
    There's absolutely no items in the game for them, which make up for their bad points. The gauntlets of crushing and wong fei's ioun stone dont count, they come too late.
    They need to be coddled for the first half of the game.
    Plus, ANY other melee class would be better at tanking than the monk.

Take a paladin, or a fighter instead.

19. Scythe Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Something I've been meaning to try next time I play a monk is: what happens if you put the scarlet ninj-to in the monk's off hand and keep the primary weapon as fists?

20. Ekarderif Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Monk's off hand cannot wield anything.

Who needs items when you rock without them? Who needs armor when you have far superior natural enhancement than anything in the game? Who needs haste when... crap can't counter that. Once level 15 kicks around, he's kicking more ass than God. At level 21, he's just insane. Beyond that, his power wanes quite a big due to the lack of Whirlwind Attack and the like. Better at tanking? I'd like to see you reach -15 AC with your pure melee. Plus, their fists max out a level 16. Get your facts straight.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.