1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Are authors recycling?

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Faerus Stoneslammer, Feb 1, 2003.

1. Faerus Stoneslammer Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Has anyone else noticed that many authors now are reusing names from older books or even from each other?
    RA Salvatore and Elaine Cunningham, for example, seem to have shared several names (Caradoon and Tintagel to name 2). And Salvatore's use of the name "Elbereth" in the Cleric Quintet is just plain pathetic. Is this a widespread phenomenon, or is it just between these 2 authors?

2. The Deviant Mage Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Well, a lot a the time I'm sure it's just a mistake. Some names are going to be arrived at by two different people even if they don't know another character with that name exists.

That said, some names seem to pop up in fantasy too much. The best example of this is 'Tomas.' It's everywhere...and it's just Spanish for Thomas, for cryin' out loud.

3. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    I don't think they even REALIZE what they are doing. It can be that they think that they invent a name, and when they do, they do not recall that hey, someone used it before.

I actually once got to ask an author where he gets the names for his characters. It was on an organized chat, and I shall not steal a part of the transcript from any of the sites it's on.
    Basically, he stressed phonetics, and contuiinity. Basically, using the last name of a family that had appeared before in his books, and a name that had a particualr sound in it, in this case fit for a military leader.

Yikes, caught... gotta run

(the struggling loony)

4. Faerus Stoneslammer Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I understand that it could be accidental. But when it happens more than two or three times, I get suspicious. I read somewhere that Salvatore's inspiration for writing Fantasy came from reading LOTR. Thus, he is definitely familiar with the name Elbereth. What I don't understand, is why he would use it unaltered in his story. If he altered the spelling, or mixed it with another name or just used it as a base example for a different name, I would understand (For example, there is a character in the LOTR mythology, the father of Beren, who's name is Barahir. I used this name as a base for an elven character I created, Valahir. I used the name as a starting point, and changed it). But blatant copying? Maybe if the name he used was the same as a little known character, then I could believe that it was just a coincidence, but not a name as common in LOTR as Elbereth.

5. Arahar

Arahar Hmm, it's a dwarf. Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Some of the names are for cities and towns. If an author is writing a story in the same world that another author is using then it makes sense that they would use the same names for cities and towns. But I really don't like the blatant coping of heroes names.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2012
  6. ArrynMorgerim Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

In the book from Salvatore about LĂșthyen(!) Bedwyr is also a land called Eriador. This can hardly be an accident.

[ February 03, 2003, 22:39: Message edited by: ArrynMorgerim ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.