1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Are Barbarians worth it?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Gholam, Aug 23, 2002.

1. Gholam Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] I have no experience of playing barbarian, and I was wondering if it is worth soloing with? I have played berserker b4 and think they're waaay powerful. Are there great differences? I know barbs only have 2 proffs, haven't they? How can one make up to this? Just wondering.

2. JohnnyRTFM Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

There was some barbarians vs. berserkers debate a while back. Check it out here.

If I were to solo, I would want as low an AC as possible. The armour restriction on barbarians is not exactly ideal here.

[ August 23, 2002, 18:51: Message edited by: JohnnyRTFM ]

3. Gholam Gems: 5/31

thx man.

4. Saemon Havarian Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] The Barbarian AC restriction is nothing to worry about. You get damage resistances, extra HPs and Chain mail +5 isn't that bad. Berserker rage is IMO better, it gives much more resistances, but +4 STR and CON is also nice. And you won't get winded as barbarian. It's just what you like.

5. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

I would agree, they are roughly even, although I wouldn't use the barbarian solo. One maze or imprisonment spell ends your game. The barbarian has no way to defend against this.

6. Gholam Gems: 5/31

That reminds me of another question, are there any ward-items against those spells?

7. Judas Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Protection from Magic (available via protection scrolls) will do it. Of course, these are pretty rare. The other way to protect from Imprisonment is to make sure your opponent can't target you (in the case of undead, use Protection from Undead scrolls, which are readily available from any of the temples in Athkatla).

I'm sure it's regarded as cheese by some, but if you can lay your hands on the Helm of Vhailor (or whatever the helm Deidre sells is called) you can use its simulacrum effect to cast Protection from Magic on yourself without destroying your precious scrolls.

Other than that... I'm trying to think... does that rod thing you get in the underdark prevent imprisonment while its effect is up?

8. StressedE Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

@Rastor: Rage DOES defend vs maze.

@Gholam: spell immunity works

@Judas: No need to correct you, you are correct.

I have no doubt in my mind that barbarians are more powerfull, but if you are not going to believe me, then fine! Be that way! :aaa:

9. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

@StressedE: How is a barbarian going to cast spell immunity?

You sure you aren't confusing the two?

[ August 24, 2002, 17:35: Message edited by: Rastor ]

10. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I at first hesitated about Barbarian but then I gave it a shot. They are not my favourite like a Beserker but they are not bad.

The low AC problem of armours is not so bad really. The best armour you can get for a Barbarian is the Shadow Dragon scale. It's only 2 off the best AC you can ever get.

11. StressedE Gems: 15/31

It does work vs maze, just create a new barbarian and read the kit description. It's there...

[ August 26, 2002, 07:19: Message edited by: StressedE ]

12. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Barbarians are cool :cool: :cool: (especialy with int3) and thats all that matters.
    Damage resistance looks better to me(defender of easthaven +2 also gives you 20%ta all) than low AC.
    Only vampires and such filth with level drain are nasty with such AC. You cant be enraged all the time :(

13. StressedE Gems: 15/31

I don't really see vamps as a problem.
    Just use mace of disruption.
    With no more than 2 slots per weapon,
    and the amount of slots the barbarian gets you should be able to choose either that or azuredge.

14. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Not that vampires are hard to kill but the problem is that they hit you more often than fighter(AC) and this way its almost impossible to avoid level drain. :(

15. StressedE Gems: 15/31

I know, but when using these weapons you can kill them before rage finishes working.
    Another possibility is casting a new rage before the old one stops working,
    that way you will be continuesly protected.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.