1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Are monks any good in TOB?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Ckrisz, Oct 4, 2001.

1. Ckrisz Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hello all,

Got both a kensai and a monk replaying BG2. I will eventually get TOB once it drops to the $10-15 range ... However, I am wondering who will be more powerful? I'm hearing about this Greater Whirlwind ability, 10 attacks per round sounds pretty good.

Do monks gain any higher abilities beyond BG2? A more powerful quivering palm? A damage dice of 1-40? Do kensais become more powerful in TOB than monks?

Thanks for all replies!

2. Maertyn

Maertyn There's nothing I cannot embrace! Veteran

[​IMG] Monk and Kensai both get the same high level abilities.

Monk gets over this: LEVEL 25 - fists considered +4 (!!!)

Monk gets soooo many hits per round, whirlwind attack? You won't even notice (that was exaggerated, btw). Monks AC keeps going lower and lower and lower. He himself is going to get faster and faster and faster. His lay on hands get up to "Heal 80 points". He will have so many "stunning blow"-abilities you could switch 'em on even if there's no fight at all! MONK WINS THIS MATCH!

Any defenders of the kensai here?

3. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

i have heard many good things about the monk and Maertyn has just summed it all up

therefore unless you intend to dual your kensai to thief or mage - your monk will be uber powerful to the point of ridiculousness

4. Mirkwood Guest

I found the monk so powerful it got boring after awhile. I just set him on the standard fighter script, which goes like this...

if (see enemy)
    go bash enemy;

...and forgot about him.

5. crimson_harlequin Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I played the monk as my main character throughout the game. The monk kicks major butt in SoA, especially if you take off the experience caps. He seems more balanced in ToB for some reason though, even though he can damage for up to 80 hp per (critical hit) swing. I'll send you one of me SoA save games if you want to try him out.

[This message has been edited by crimson_harlequin (edited October 05, 2001).]

6. void Guest

Monks still get enormous boni to their AC ( around an extra 20 I think) ao they are still graet (ant their fists go to +4). Kensai continue to get faster and more powerful too so they won't have a problem.

yay, now I'm a goblin :)

Cheers, Void.

7. kevlar0101 Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

void,no you arent...

8. Arek Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Monks rock for so many reasons. They get ridiculous AC and they end up getting more high level abilities faster than fighters (never mind rangers and paladins) because they level up faster (I think that Fighters amy eventually have one or two more near the very end but the monks usually outpace them).

9. ywpark89 Guest

Monks can also use priest spell scrolls

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.