1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Are there any weapons that you never use?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Cúchulainn, May 6, 2005.

1. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

For me its maces, morning stars and bastard swords and long swords.

Actually Aerie and Viconia use the Mace of 'the Merauder', but only for the increased strength, never to hit anyone with.

Keldorn has profencies in longsword and bastard sword, but when you get that 2 handed sword from kiling Firkrig, why bother using anything else?

[ May 06, 2005, 22:05: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Sticker Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Bastard swords, halberds and spears. I know there are good halberds and spears, but I never get around to using them two-handed swords are waaay cooler. ;)

3. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I barely ever play BG2 with bows, bastard swords, crossbows, or darts.

4. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I think I use most weapons frequently but I use darts the least out of all the weapons. Usually serve as a backup if I run out of arrows or throwing knives :p

5. Deuce Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

For me it's Spears. Don't know why, I've started using Halbards, and of course 2-handed Swords and Staves but I have yet to make good use of Spears. I'll have to make a point of adding a spear-using type in my next game.

6. Misantrophe Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

i never use spears. i hate spears, they dont look scary enough

7. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Igenerally use Katanas, Great Swords, Halberds, Maces, Hammers, Bows & Slings.

Spears are definately the worst weapon for most part of the game.
    Few staffs also are ever used to actually hit someone. Generally a staff is used for its benefits.
    Bastard Swords are few and far between.
    Crossbows and Darts are also rarely used.
    But the worst must be Long Swords. There are so many of them, yet I never find myself using them for any amount of time.

8. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Bastard swords, axes, halberds and spears just don't seem to get used.

For katana, dagger, flail, mace, and hammer, I usually get the ultimate one of each type and stick with it; very little variety.

I think the weapon that I swap the most is quarterstaff. There's one for every purpose it seems. Staff of Curing is nice early for AC+2. The +4 staff for extra THAC0. Staff of Magi for cheese. Staff of elemental or golem smiting for combatting those types of creatures. Staff of Thunder and Lightning for stun. That nice druid staff that gives an extra 5th and 6th level spell... (sorry, forget many of their names) there's just so many potentially useful ones around so I keep them all handy and use them when appropriate.

9. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I have never used Clubs and Bastard swords in all my time playing BG2.

NEVER! Not once in 50+ games! Imagine how useless they are... :p

10. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Even I've used a club, as Jaheira has proficiency in it. Never used bastard swords though.

11. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Hmm...I've always stuck Belm +2 and any other scimitar on Jaheira straight away, other than the times I gave her proficiency in Quarterstaff for that AWESOME staff you get in Suldenesselar.

Clubs just aren't good enough to actually invest proficiency points in, and I never play anything other than solo games so... :D

Atleast, we are all in agreement that Bastard Swords suck. :rolleyes:

12. Ruin Ehwazehs Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Beside Jhor the Bleeder (which stink) and Foebane (which also sucks), there's no good bastard sword in the entire game.

IMO Impaler and Ixil's spike are decent weapons. Can't compare to Ravager or Carsomyr, but if you like spear (seems nobody), they're nifty ones.

For some reason, I've never used bows except one time when I played BG2 for the first time.

13. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Bastard swords are awesome, and I usually have my main char use 'em. Granted, there aren't all that many, but they're just cool. I never use darts or throwing axes. No crossbows, or clubs either. I don't think I've used halberds since my first playthrough. The only flail I use is the FOA, and I can't even remember the last time I used Katanas, except for early in the game with Yoshimo.

14. Gro'Mul Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Hey, I like spears, had a druid once who used one.
    Weapons I never use are bastard swords, darts and clubs.

15. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

I've never used darts, but in my next game I think I'm going to have Jaheira use them. They're just so cool!

16. 14 Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

well there is the under-represented item mod.
    Which has some sick weapons, pretty much covered the weapon types people have said.

17. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

If the proficiences were like BG 1 (large swords, blunt weapons etc), then I think that the more 'exotic' weapons would get a fair chance. It seems insane to wait until the underdark to get a good functional bastard sword.

18. Chickavalier Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

spears, bastard swords and daggers.

19. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

I never use clubs, scimitars, or spears.

20. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Spears... Though there are cool ones in ToB..
    Longswords, there is none good enough to beat a katana. (CF)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.