1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Arghhhh..."Stack Overflow" Error with Tie Fighter CD

Discussion in 'Playground' started by SlimShogun, Aug 27, 2002.

1. SlimShogun Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] The recent TIE Fighter CD thread gave me an urge to play it, so I installed (fully) the game, but when I try to run it, it starts to run, but then it exits out to a exited DOS window that says: STACK OVERFLOW! (with the exclamation). Anyway, what does this mean and how in the gosh darned heck (no cussin' here, Tal) can I get the game to work?

2. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I found this on a site:

Not sure if it will work or not, but it's worth a try.

3. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I take it you're playing the old collector's editon cdrom.

I know I've gotten it to work under windows 98se, and not in real dos mode. I was using a sidewinder2 on it (usb joysticks rock!). Actually, I believe I got it to work under winme, but the sound was absolutely nasty.

Unless you hack Me (which, if that's what you're using, then you should hack it), that stacks command isn't going to take effect. Me just writes over the config.sys file.

Repost with your os, and I'll tell you what your config.sys, msdos.sys, and autoexec.bat filez should look like.

4. SlimShogun Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] Windows me, but EJ and WF, how can I do all the stuff you just said?

[ August 28, 2002, 00:30: Message edited by: SlimShogun ]

5. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Not sure how you'd go about doing that, I just found it on a site *shrug*

6. ejsmith Gems: 25/31

Oh, man.

Wicked.

Well, hmmmmm. It uses the dos extender, which means you need not configure ems. You just have to get the 565k or whatever free.

You'll get better results if you hack winme, and configure your config.sys.

There's a winme hack out on the web. Hangon...
    http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/answerstips/story/0,24330,11360,00.html

There were you can get the hack and read about it.

After that, you have to change around your config.sys to free up the memory you'll be needing.

7. SlimShogun Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] OK. I downloaded the "Real DOS-Mode Patch for Windows ME v1.3." Now what do I do? Do I follow all the instructions on the site where I dl'ed the patch? Also, if I screw this up (or even if I don't), how will this alter my system and is there potential for disaster?

[ August 28, 2002, 07:10: Message edited by: SlimShogun ]

8. Wells Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Well SlimShougan it looks like you have a real problem on your hands. What you need to do is open up your computer, take a gun, and SHOOT THE BLACK MAN WHO IS INSIDE PLAYING TIRCKS. Thats the only way your gonna resolve htis problem. I hope this helps, good luck my brother...

9. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Uh, Blackman.

I followed your advice, got meself a shotgun a shot THE BLACK MAN WHO IS INSIDE PLAYING TIRCKS

He´s dead, but so is my frigging monitor, got any advice for that??

10. SlimShogun Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] Can anyone help me?

11. ejsmith Gems: 25/31

Well, last time you posted, you were thinking about doing the hack. Did you hack it?

12. SlimShogun Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] If I do the hack, is there potential for damage to my computer in any way?

13. ejsmith Gems: 25/31

Ummmmmmm.

There's a potential for a massive solar flare to cause the voltage regulating system at your local nuclear power plant to misinterpret the 300+ unit monitors around the steam turbine, causing a massive power spike which is bolstered by the other gas powered plants hooked into the power grid, causing a spontaneous discharge of every capacitor/transformer at your local sub station, which in turn sends in excess of 10,000 joules of energy (think 25kilowatts) to your surge protector, which instantly melds the power coupling shut and causes your cdrom to spinup to well in excess of 18,000rpm, which splinters the cdrom in the drive, lodging the shards in your knee just like a fragmentation grenade in a hooch, causing you to call 911 and have an ambulance transport you to the emergency room, where the orthopaedic surgeon on duty is called in to remove the 1000+ shards imbedded in your patella, and fit you with a replacement which will cause you to limp in agony for the rest of your life.

Other than that, anything you do can cause your system to become unstable. I did the hack once a while back, and it didn't cause any problems. But I never could get that game to work properly (sam and max, the cdrom version) with sound, so I gave up.

14. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Got the same problem as Slim has, but I´m running on green electricity (treehugger!!), so, does that mean I won´t be having a problem with the CDROM - 911 thing :D :D

15. ettercap Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

uh, nice to see, what windows made out of all the computer offsprings *g*

no hard feelings, shogun, but if i were you, i´d rather look for a used pentium I or II to play it, along with a nice sb awe64 and win98.

should be easier for you, instead of trying to hack your win me without basic knowledge (i just assume ;) of good old ms-dos. in the end even these dos patches are no guarantuee for a stable running dos in win me, let alone all the other stuff you´d have to watch in order to gain enough free memory and so on...

the potential damage you can do to your system is not as worse as a good bootdisk should be able to fix. the data should be still at the old place ;)

[ September 09, 2002, 15:46: Message edited by: ettercap ]

16. Milliardo Peacecraft Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.