1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Ascension: OK, it works. How do I win it?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by pbryant, Jun 20, 2003.

1. pbryant Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Mega spoiler for Ascension, albeit hardly unexpected, since it says what this is on the file.

How in the Abyss do I defeat the first battle in the Throne of Bhaal? Not the expansion pack, but the actual area. I'm serious here:

Irenicus, Bodhi, and the Slayer are smacking me aorund like a red-headed stepchild. As I understand it, I can't kill the Slayer without taking out Imoen - and that already cuts down my wizardly might to one person, Irenicus seems to be invulnerable to everything I do. Even true sight didn't appear to dispel his Invisibility. I have no idea how to kill Bodhi since she keeps going mistform and regenerating. The planetar is not worth worrying over - I just kill it quickly.
    I have me, a 27th level Undead Slayer, Sarevok, Vaygar, Jaheira, Nalia, Imoen. Balthazar signed up for the fight, too.

What the heck kind of tactics can I use on these clowns? All my usual tactics simply don't work - cutting down Imoen and the bad positioning screwed me up.

So far I have though out:
    Usual Stoneskin/Ironskins

Negative Plane Protection on Sarevok and Nalia to block Bodhi's mage level drain.

Chaotic Commands on everyone but Sarevok (currently immune to mind control) and me (ludicrously good saves)- Balthazar never fails his save either.

Time stop ASAP - this lets Balthazar whack away while Nalia throws out Improved Alacricity and drops anti-magics on Irenicus. That Simulacrum of his hurts, though.

Kill the Planetar first.

Still, that's just not enough offense.

2. Alex Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

Irenicus probably has Spell Immunity: Divination and Spell Immunity: Abjuration cast on himself. If he even makes himself visible only Ruby Ray of Reversal and Spellstrike will take down his defenses, at least until SI: Abj is gone. Of course you can't even do that until SI: Div is eliminated so he can be targetted...

3. esabulao Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Don't hurt Slayer Imoen but stay away from her. She'll return to her usual self.

Stick a strong fighter who is immune to level drain on Bodhi. Send Bodhi's target around in circles. No one must ever be level drained.

Kill the fallen solar fast.

As for Irenicus, you'll just have to wait him out. Keep people with low HP away from him or he will throw Energy Blades at them during Time Stop.

4. -EnigmA- Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Download Beren's walktrough here from SP; it has a lot of tips for the final ascension battle...

5. Death Whisper Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

the hordes of undead is reason enough to take with ya:
    paladins
    amulet of power
    angurvadal +5

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.