1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Australian/New Zealand Literature

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Uytuun, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    Does it exist?

No, really, are there famous authors/books/scholars that deal with this type of literature? I've never been confronted with anything Australian/New Zealand during my three and 1/2 years of uni so far, so I was wondering...

2. Elfen Lied

Elfen Lied The Bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to

not quite sure what your getting at.

ive read plenty of stuff from New Zealand authors, Once Were Warriors, What Becomes of the Broken Hearted, Jake's Story (sorry couldnt remember the name of the 3rd one).

I think it depends on the genre, there isnt too much New Zealand sci fi/fantasy stuff, and most of it is for kids, not your average IWD trilogy/LOTR fan (unless they read well above their age level).

havent read much auzzie stuff though.

3. Uytuun Gems: 25/31

Media:
    Well, I mean the more literary novels, not really sci-fi/fantasy stuff. ;)

4. Elfen Lied

Elfen Lied The Bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to

aah. like i said it exists but in small doses.

i listed 3.

most of it is about life in New Zealand for a certain group of people, Maori (kinda like the indiginous people of New Zealand), or those who have chosen to go live in bushland areas.

5. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Um, nothing really comes to mind. Well, except for 'bush poetry' - there's plenty of that and it was thusly crammed down our necks at school, but there weren't really any Australian literary novels that we were forced to endure.

In fact, the only notable Australian author that comes to mind is John Marsden, which seeing that you're after 'literary' things, he probably doesn't count given that his books are written with teenagers in mind. OTOH, The Tomorrow Series is very good, and does have a distinctly Australian tone to it.

I'm sure that there are great works of Australian literature out there, but apparently no one cares about them. Sorry :p

(I know that New Zealand has something of a magical realist movement going though. Never read any of it and don't know any works or authors, but it might be something to look into)

6. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Colleen McCollough ("The Thorn Birds") is Australian. :)

7. Uytuun Gems: 25/31

Media:
    Thanks for the info. Strange that no one should care, very strange indeed.

8. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Thomas Kenneally is Australian, and though it isn't Australian-themed he wrote Schindler's Ark after meeting Poldek Pfefferberg (sp?) in iirc a dry-cleaners. The only other work I can think of that he wrote is The Chant Of Jimmy Blacksmith which I have been led to believe is based on a LOT of research into early colonial Australia. Does this count?

9. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Aha - got one! :)

On the Beach by Nevil Shute. One of those perfectly depressing post-apocalyptic books...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.