1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Banned imbeciles and their aliases.

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Beren, Jun 27, 2003.

1. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    In recent memory, I've watched a certain imbecile go through three different nicknames, become idiot of the week, and to my knowledge got punted from these boards.

It's made me curious, what happens to a banned idiot's nickname(s)? It would be a shame if a new SPer who would be worth his or her salt can't use nicknames like Abazigal, Yaga-Shura, and Bassilus because the aforementioned fool used all three of them.

2. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

They should just get a more original name. ;) :D

3. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Well, we all jump to conclusions. IIRC, before the last round of Yaga Shura, et al., and his suicide wish on the board, there was Boo the Great. Didn't Boo get banned as well? That was swiftly followed by someone else popping on as Boo_the_Great, or something similar, and several members jumped all over him before he could say "Wait a sec, I can write an English sentence." I think Tal could probably return the nicks to use, but only after a suitable cooling off period to disassociate the nick from the individual casting it into infamy.

4. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

People who have been banned will always live on in the memory of SPers. Who is going to disassociate Istari of Thay with the sick psychotic moron that was here? Only people who weren't on to see it.

5. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    what about IaaA? Ffrrreeeeeeedddoooooooooommm!!! :roll:

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Actually, those usernames remain forever taken. Those who get banned don't only get their IPs banned, but also their old usernames locked down so they can't register with the same e-mail they used there again.

7. Sephiroth Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Why do you lock they're username. If you bann their IP addresses they can't acess the boards anymore, can they ?

8. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Except when they change their ISP ;) ... and with them, their IP ...

9. Sephiroth Gems: 14/31

You can change your IP :confused: That's new to me ...
    Interesting ... :evil:

10. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

[​IMG]

11. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I remember that incident and I was one of those jumping on the OTHER guy. The problem was, that the real Boo The Great came back with many different names, like Alloah-from-Hawaii and others. And if I have interpreted one of Tal's comments concerning him right, Boo The Great used different computers, seemingly some at school or at a internet-cafe, to log back in.

12. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I remember that as well. Here's a question: If you're not willing to obey the rules and are obviously not interested in what others think, why bother coming back for more and more of the same? Isn't the main fun of these boards talking to others all over the world in a reasonably civil manner about diverse topics in which we are interested? That's why I like it.

13. Iago Gems: 24/31

Getting attention ?

In the case of Boo-the-great, in my view, it wasn't delibarate annoying people. It was just lacking knowledge of English and simple not understanding the forum-rules. And some not very thought through comments, due to ignorance. And he liked it here, he did just not "fit in". Maybe in two years and after reading a book or two ?

14. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I agree with Oaz, all those Elminsters and Sephirots and Bhaalspawns oughta get what they oughta get. I had such a good laugh when I read the SWG FAQ some year back and found the part about names like "LuuK Skywaakaah_101" (or something like that) being disallowed.

As for the latest case (a thread that was promptly locked, I don't even know if it's here anymore), what kind of an idiot even admits to "pressing some random letters just to make people angry (freely quoted, don't remember the exact form)" and then whines about being mistreated after getting kicked? This has nothing to do with unoriginal nicks though. I just wanted to state my opinion that I'm glad there's one discussion forum where such idiocy is not taken lightly. In fact, it's not taken at all. :D

15. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    IIRC, with Boo the not so great, it was more than comprehension problems. While he was Boo the Great, he often did make comments designed to be offensive. I vaguely remember a few from the Booktalk forum, but I'd have to search to refresh myself.

Once he was banned a few times, Tal's public announcement made it clear that he was going on some kind of sick revenge crusade using a prank e-mail server.

At least, that's how I see it.

16. Sephiroth Gems: 14/31

:nono: I heard that ... :cool:

17. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Doh! :rolleyes: Well, it's not a secret really. I can accept copied names, but I don't like them.

Sephiroth was something I remembered from a comment of a friend of mine though. As he once referred to his annoyance of playing online games and then bumping into someone using "Sephiroth" as his name and in reality being some 13-yearold immature griefer (the age was real I think, not just a diminutive flavour) completely destroying the meaning of that name.

18. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

:yot:

Is the nick "Jean Luc Picard" justified to call Taluntain as "number 2"?

19. Greenlion420 Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

@ teeck, Ouch. IMHO, NO, Tal should never be called #2.

As for Boo the Crappy, I myself was victimized by his childish and cruel E-mail "revenge".
    and i for one am glad he's gone. even under his alias' it was obvious who it was. Never have i seen such an English impaired moron. No offence intended to our non-English speaking members, you guy's do very well with a language not native to your countries :thumb:

Tal doesn't miss a thing, nothing passes under his nose un-noticed. someday people will realize this and stop making asses of themselves. I hope.

20. Iago Gems: 24/31

I wasn't aware of E-mails which Boo The Great a.k.a. The Flying Dutchman has sent. The Flying Dutchman actually rules as name, in my view at least.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.