1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Bards: Useful or Useless

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by NotYetHero, May 21, 2001.

1. NotYetHero Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

For this question i hear alot of different answers. In IWD they were kind of good for identifying and saving spells and money but in HoW i think they are a great adition to your party. First they can identify stuff w/o spells, cast spells of theyre own and pick pockets. also in HoW the songs are great. the first 1 isnt great but when you level up,its worth the effort. One song they learn is a song that gives your party regeneration abilities (which is good by itself and) a +2 bonus to each charecters AC. Is that great?

Reply Your Opinions

2. GONMAR Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Bards are fun to play..and give you options. If you like to play with options then I think you'll enjoy bards. If you stick to one thing all the time...you probably won't

3. Bowie Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

It's my second time through IWD:HOW and I'm using a Bard this time. So far, I'm finding it pretty useful. I'm at the point of IWD where I'm ready to detour to the HOW expansion area with this party so I've stopped playing until the downloadable addition has been released. But here's a few thoughts on bards so far...

1st: Don't put ANY points into your Thief's pickpocket ability. It's just wasteful if you have a bard. :)

2nd: I've picked one good mage spell per level and given it to my bard. This gives you a character with several magic missiles, several stinking clouds, etc. Thus freeing your mage to memorize more varities of spells. (Be nice and give your mage magic missile too, or else he'll feel incomplete without it. ;))

3rd: I've put points in bows for my bard to keep him out of combat since he's only got bracers on (for spell casting). Also, points in Halberds so if the situation calls for melee he can poke the monsters from behind my front line.

4th: I've only had one point in the game where my bard's lore was below the rating of items I was finding. One potion of genius was enough to boost the lore to identify most items I had. Then the song that gives added thief skills and lore was enough to raise it further and identify the last item. Only spending one potion (so far) and no gold to identify items is a great feeling.

And last the songs. Well the last song (AC bonus and regeneration) is almost too powerful, IMHO. After any battle, I find myself turning on this song (if it wasn't already on) while my party sorts through the bodies for gold and good items. By the time everythings found and identified, my party's almost fully healed. Might as well forget all my cleric healing spells and sell my healing potions now that I've got this song. :rolleyes:

The other songs are interesting, but I find I can live with or without them. It just depends if I feel like having the bonuses for the rest of the party, or want to include the bard in the fight. Doesn't seem to make too much of a difference either way.

But all in all, other than the unbalance of the last song, the bard has been very fun to play.

4. Dudette Gems: 8/31

useless... and thats all i have to say!

5. GONMAR Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Bards...the thinking players...character.

6. Goliath Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] This is my second time through and I am really enjoying my bard. The regeneration song does kick ass (maybe a little to much) but I must admit I don't miss wasting 2-3 minutes after every combat casting cure light wounds on a character with 120 HP. :)

Goliath

7. Havok Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I was skeptical at first, but I'm starting to enjoy having a bard in my party. She saves me a bundle of gold with her "identifying" and dickering with shopkeepers. She has an 18 Charisma, so I let her do all of the talking while my main character fighter "tank" stands around with a dumbass look on his face.

8. Bowie Gems: 8/31

Another thought I had on bards...

Since they level up on the thieves XP table, they'll be higher levels than a mage that has the same XP total. Thus any spells that improve by level should be more powerful when cast by a bard with the same XP as your mage. I'll have to go back and check the spells I gave my bard with this in mind. :)

9. Orkrist the Cleaver Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] I think Bards are cool, plus there are some voices in IWD that really fit a bard. "Let us begin...".

10. Virik Gems: 4/31

I haven't figured out what I think of the bard yet, but...

* What does the "bard's song" do?
    * I read somewhere that the bard is a great
    talker or something, when, where, huh??

And to BOWIE:

Why do you use only bracers ?? I have an armor with AC 2, and resistance or something like that on my bard, plus helmet and boots..
    Anyway, my bard also use a bow :D

11. stargazer Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Virik - a)The bard songs give you some bonuses. If you have HOW you get more songs as you level-up that and these have to do with battle, immunity to fear, luck, dispell effects etc bonuses.
    b)Sometimes, and especially in Easthaven, talking to a specific person with a bard will open a different dialogue option and give you more XP. The bards' usually have high charisma so that helps too.

And in answer to the original question
    BARDS ROCK!!!

12. Bowie Gems: 8/31

Someone (not me) just bumped an old post that answers your question Virik, but completeness I'll respond here too...

While Bards can where any armour up to chainmail, they can't cast spells with it on (except for elven chainmail which is pretty rare). They can cast spells with bracers on though. BTW, my bard currently has an AC of -2 even with the bracers on. :D

13. Virik Gems: 4/31

Bowie:

Sure about that ? I can cast spells with my armor! Hmm, maybe I've got the elven chain mail

Stargazer rb-rjd:

Can you name one place I actually can get more experience by talking to a person with my bard ?
    My bard has now reached level 14, and I'm going to buy HOW this week. Does my bard get the songs automaticly, or do I have to start all over again ?

14. Grovflab Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Yes, you have to start all over! HAHA! :p

No, just start the game, and all your characters will already have the new skills, if you have added the HOW patch. If not, then you have to level up once, if I remember correctly.

15. Virik Gems: 4/31

I sure hope I don't have to level up once, because several of my characters don't get more xp :rolleyes:

16. stargazer Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Virik- When I say more XP I don't mean tons you know. The first place I can think of is Easthaven. If you talk to one of the villagers in the tavern with a bard you get a chance to perform and get a gem. But the most important thing you can do here is talk to the sea-elf with your bard. You can communicate with her via a song and then learn another tune from her for some experience. Keep your eyes open...

17. Virik Gems: 4/31

[​IMG] OK, Thnx!

I checked my bard's armor, and the name was:
    "Elven Chainmail of the Hand + 3"
    (armor class 2 : +20% cold res)

Is this the "rare" armor you talk about ?

I also use "Sune's Laurel of Favor" for my head protection...
    (armor class bonus 1 : +1 charisma)

When you talk about great bracers... what
    kind of bracers are you talking about ?
    I also need som boots, what should I look for?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.