1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Benedict XVI

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Apr 19, 2005.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I can't believe there isn't a thread on this yet. The new pope. What are people's thoughts on this? I'm a little confused over the selection myself. There are a lot of pressing issues in the Catholic Church today, and I'm not too keen on selecting a pope who is 78 years old. Does he have the ability (or even the longevity) to take on these issues? Selecting a German also surprised me.

Here's the link

2. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

From all I have heard, he is perhaps even more conservative than John Paul II and should make a good choice to provide a continuity with the departed pontiff.

The age doesns't seem to be too much of an issue to me...he seems pretty spry for 78...besides...if he lives to 93 it would be a 15 year Ponificate.

Interested to hear what chev thinks of a German Pope.

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

On the radio this morning, they had a news story that there had been a typo in the name of the new pope and that he was actually called Cardinal "Rap Singer." They went on to say that the world now had its first hip-hop pontiff, and that his papal name would be Pope Daddy. Other news was that he was going to have the Popemobile lowered and a big stereo put in.

Anyway, back on topic, all I have heard is that this guy is pretty conservative. But aren't all senior Catholics conservative? Isn't that what they are supposed to be?

What impact will this guy have on our world then?

4. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    In a way he won't have any impact because he is conservative. There will be no radical changes in doctrine. Changing the Roman Catholic doctrine would not be an easy thing to do in any case. Anyone who thinks otherwise is being naive.

I await Chev's comments.

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Why would anyone want to change the doctrine? Isn't the doctrine the doctrine and that's that? If they change the rules, surely it wouldn't be the Catholic church anymore, it would turn into something else.

6. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Of course the doctrine won't change. In the end Benedict XVI himself wrote it when he was still named cardinal Ratzinger.
    He'll conserve it - and that's what conservatism actually means in the literal sense of the word.

Not necessarily a bad thing, even though I have to sleep over Benedict XVI a few night to find out wether I like it or not.

7. Dranalis DeAealth

Dranalis DeAealth Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc Veteran

The Catholic Chuch has changed immersurably over the last two thousand years, and has often recanted it's previous stances on a multitude of issues. So I don't really see the merits of this view. The Church changes; it merely changes a hell of a lot slower than everything around it, and often quite belatedly.

On the main subject; I wasn't particularly suprised by the choice of Ratzinger, but I was surprised by the speed of the election. I had expected something quite drawn out, over a week or even more.

The problem is though, that he has a lot to live up to after JP II. JP II was, whatever you want to say of him, a man of charisma and warmth. Ratzinger does not have, as of yet, either of these in abundance.

In that sense, he'll really appeal to the 'core vote' on his doctrinal stance alone, and he'll go down great on that basis in places like Africa and The US. But it's nigh on impossible to imagine him being a great reformer or having the 'pastoral' skills of JP II.

8. Harbourboy

How important are those pastoral skills to his role?

9. Dranalis DeAealth

Well, they're more important in a modern Pope than they've ever been. Most Catholics a century, or even fifty years ago, might never have seen the Pope in person, and may only have visited Rome once in a lifetime, if that.

JP II visited masses of countries, attended tons of open-air events and masses, and was a very 'visible' Pope who many Catholics could personally and obviously relate to, and who many held in great affection because of it. He was 'media saavy' to quite a large extent. His Polish connection also helped him form a very particular focus for all of this, and gave him a special 'diocese' if you will.

Ratzinger has no really sound basis for any of that. He's a 'scientist' who has spent the last twenty years in the Vatican. He's not a 'people person.' His age is also against him here, even though his health seems to be quite sound at the moment.

He's not really a natural choice for the modern Papacy in this sense, irrelevant of his doctrinal and theological views. You get the impression that he would have been a good Pope three hundred years ago.

And Catholics will be expecting him to live up, at least to a fair extent, to JP II's legacy of connecting with people over the world. He's not incapable of doing that, but it's going to be a challenge for someone with his background.

10. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

The old age is something pretty strange, this pope might not rule that long and will certainly not be able to travel as much as John Paul II. I don't know much about Ratzinger except that he's conservative so I doubt much will change in the Catholic Church for a while which I consider unfortunate.

EDIT: The new pope not being Italian is a bonus but a non european would have been a nice sight. Oh well this pope will most likely not live very long so perhaps the next pope will be from outside Europe.

11. Dranalis DeAealth

Well, the saying is 'After a fat Pope, a lean Pope'. Although there's nothing stopping Ratzinger concievably living into his nineties, I suppose.

12. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Does anyone know what his job description is? What he actually does, so to speak?

13. Harbourboy

What does it matter if he doesn't go out and meet people? How would that affect his ability to fulfill his role as Pope? Would people leave the Catholic Church if he wasn't as warm and fuzzy as the last pope?

14. Dranalis DeAealth

It matters because Catholics nowadays want a Pope they can admire, and I suppose, love. The Papacy cannot be considered some kind of job where the Pope is a glorified bureaucrat who is there to stamp documents and issue encyclica. I don't think that is seriously an option anymore after JP II.

He is a spiritual leader, for god's sake. He is there to give guidance, and uplift Catholics, be a source of inspiration and leadership. This, of course, depends on his own actions and personality. No-one is going to desert because they have a Pope they don't like. But it's important to recognise that the Pope has a very personal role in confirming and strengthening people's faith through the extent to which he connects with them as individuals.

15. Barmy Army

Media:
    Out of curiosity, how much does he get paid per annum for being a 'spiritual leader'?

16. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
  17. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Predictably nothing will change. As Ragusa said - Ratzinger was the theological power behind John Paul's throne. They were a close-knit tandem, with Paul being the philosoph and Ratzinger the sophisticated theologian.

Also his Pontificate is supposed to be mainly a time of transition. His 78 years of age will come in handy there. A liberal heading the Vatican right after such a conservative as the late Pope would be too disruptive, they say. Necessary reforms or no.

Personally, I feel somewhat uncomfortable with a German Pope. :/ I feel spiritually exposed. :p At least I am not RC.

Indeed. But then again he hasnt said much. Oh, the fun... :D

18. Dranalis DeAealth

I'm not sure if he gets paid anything. What could he possibly spend it on?

19. Barmy Army

Media:
    Booze, fags and chicks :D .

20. Dranalis DeAealth

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.