1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Best 6 member party?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Manton, Jun 21, 2001.

1. Manton Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I enjoy the game more when all the characters are my own, for some reason. I'll cycle one out from time to time to do an NPC quest, and get him later, but I still like most characters to be mine.

So my question is: what's the best 6 member party?

I've already decided I want an Inquisitor, a Sorcerer, a thief/mage (swashbuckler or bounty hunter?), and a fighter/cleric (or should it be a ranger/cleric?).

What else should I have? I'm thinking of monk and archer, but then I want a good melee fighter. I also like to use the very fine magic weapons and armor the game has to offer. But I love ranged weapons . . .

As you can see, I am having trouble making up my mind.

2. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

I would say that the best party would be:

Fighter - melee
    Fighter - melee (never tried the monk, but he should be overpowered, so I guess he would do as well)
    Cleric
    Mage
    Thief - backstab/range
    Fighter or Archer(ranger kit) for ranged weapons

3. Herr'Don Gems: 3/31

I think a good player-made party would be...

Inquisitor
    Monk
    Mage
    Cleric
    Theif
    Fighter/Mage

I've never actually tried this party before, but it seems well balances, since you nearly always need two mages, even if one is duel-classed or multiclassed.

Herr'Don

4. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] Your modified suggestion:
    - Inquisitor ---> 2H Sword, Long Bow
    - dc Stalker(9)/Cleric ---> Flail, Mace, Sling
    - dc Swashy(11)/Mage ---> Short Bow
    - Sorcerer ---> Q-staff

Four characters in a party is perhaps the best number but I'll suggest these as possible additions:

- dc Kensai(13)/Druid ---> Spear, Q-staff (but I hate to mix paladins with any non-good aligned characters)
    - Dwarven Berserker (Lawful or Chaotic Good) ---> Axe, War Hammer.

5. saukoon Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

however, it's too bad that in BG2 single player, there's no monk NPC. I really wanna try to use an NPC monk...

6. Ganz Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] I know just what you mean, Manton. After playing a few rounds with BG and BG2, I decided to have fun with my own party starting with BG and carrying them over to BG2. I have always been partial to human dual-class characters and this is what I created:

Protagonist: Priest of Lathander (9) dual Mage (using Staff of Power)
    Front-line fighter : Mage (2) dual Fighter (Celestial Fury and wands)
    Secondary fighter/medic : Ranger (7) dual Cleric (Crom Faeyr and Flail of Ages)
    Back-up fighter/trap finder : Fighter (9) dual Thief (2-handed swords & Staff of Rynn)
    Back-up fighter/spellcaster : Kensai (9) dual Mage (2 handed swords & Staff of Rynn)
    Spellcaster/lock-picker, illusion dispeller : Swashbuckler (10) dual Mage (Staff of Magi)

All my characters can hold their own in melee combat after they have regained the abilities of their first class. My battles were usually a spell-fest! It was most enjoyable.

7. Frog Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

Monks rock! I just max mine out at lvl 21 Today. (I'am near the end)

8. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Depends on playing style. IMHO some nice combos are:

-Main char Sir Donaldus II.; halfling cavalier [c´fury, flail of the ages, namarra]
    -Jahiera (romance/ melee/ spells/ healing/ golemslayer [with sling of everard] & vampire slayer [with amulett of power])
    -Minsc (melee [lilarcor, dragonsbreath], longbow, vampire slayer [mace of disruption])
    -Imoen (magic, thieving abilities [firetooth & buckler])
    -Mazzy (shortbow [gesen´s & tansheron´sbow]/ melee [cutthroat, shortsword of backstabbing])
    -Kheldorn (dispell magic & true sight/ crossbow/ melee [carsomyr & family sword])

In my actual game I replaced Kheldorn by my mc halfling fighter-thief Bragomil (backstabbing/ scouting/ shortbow and melee) and he´s a quite valuable addition to my party, not quite as powerful as my former dc fighter-mages but very close (with the advantage of better saving throws).

Im my first games I played a much more soft skinned and spellmighty party:

-Main char Ragusa, dc fighter-mage (vampire slayer)
    -Minsc - as above
    -Aerie (spells, countermagic and healing)
    -Viconia (romance, spells)
    -Imoen (pure thief, therefore: backstabbing, thieving abilities and scouting - with a mage as a main char and Aerie as a back-up there was no real need for a third mage)
    -Mazzy - as above

With my new party I thorougly had to change my playing style compared to my spellcasting party. However, I came along quite well with both parties.

9. ccav Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I also prefer to play my own party.

I have two main characters that I use: a Kensai and a Sorcerer. Can't have everyone become a slayer you know...

So I basically have two adventuring parties. I mostly use pure classes vs. d/mc. Just a personal preference.

Party #1 - Low on magic but you do not want to get in a melee with them:

A Kensai - No other melee help really needed
    A Monk - No armor, No weapon, A Killer
    A MC Cleric/Mage - Heal, Offensive Magic
    A Bard - Prot.,"Breach" Magic, ID, Pickpocket
    A Swashbuckler - Bow, Traps, Locks, Illusions

Party #2 - Melee's are tough but the spell slingers rule the day. Do a lot more resting though:

A Sorcerer - Best MU in the game
    A Cavalier - Gotta have a least one Pali
    A DC Fighter(9)/Cleric - Healing, Dual Maces
    My Swashbuckler - as above
    My Bard - as above

Leave a slot open to add a NPC and ,later, for Im (she's your sister, so you gotta have her)

10. miniwoo Guest

I'm playing this party at the moment - and they're better than most of my other NPC parties.

Elven Assassin
    Half-Orc Barbarian
    Human Monk
    Human Priest of Lathander
    Half-Elf Archer
    Human Sorceror

By best NPC party so far has been:

Undead Hunter
    Keldorn
    Minsc
    Valygar
    Jaheira
    Jan

11. Manton Gems: 3/31

I've almost made up my mind, I think. A few more questions to follow:

Inquisitor: Unless anyone can talk me out of it, I'm confident that this is the best front man: high CHR, great melee with Holy avenger, good ranged with long or crossbow, and nice special abilities like dispell magic and truesight.

Ranger/cleric: can wear any armor, use great weapons, serve as healer. Great melee fighter. I'm pretty sure about this one, unless someone can convince me that I'm better off with either a figher/cleric or some ranger kit dualed to cleric.

Fighter/Thief: Lock picker, trap disarmer, short bow expert, decent melee if needed.
    However, should he be a thief first, or a fighter first? And if a thief first, should he be a kit like a bounty hunter, for the snares?

Monk: I just think these look like fun and want to try one.

Fighter/mage: definitely fighter first, then mage, specialize in bows, katanas for Dakon Zerth (bad spelling, but you know what I mean). Good ranged attack, melee is decent in a pinch.

Sorcerer: These also look like fun. Since I seem to cast a handful of spells over and over, this seems like a natural for me.

Now, I have also thought about a thief/mage. Then I would eliminate the figher/thief and the fighter/mage and replace them with . . . what? A pure fighter?

Any help is appreciated.

12. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I've found the following works in any game...

Fighter
    Thief
    Cleric
    Mage

In BG2 you could probably throw in a ranger fighter or archer (as needed) and a bard (backup). Don't start commenting on the bard or this will degenerate into another bard-bashing topic. If you don't like them, a thief/mage would be a good option.

13. Serora Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I agree with Volar.

14. Tyresian Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Instead of just playing with the best combination why don't you play with some different party mixes.

I found playing with 6 dwarven assassins was quite fun.

15. Ganz Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Reading Tyresian's reply, I was reminded of the time when I was waiting for BG2 and having tired of BG, I tried something different for the fun of it. I imagined the protagonist would be drawn to books/scrolls growing up in Candlekeep and be surrounded by like-minded friends/travelling companions. Therefore I created a party of mages:

Fighter (2)/Necromancer (just to be able to wear armour and absorb some damage)
    Thief/Illusionist (Gnome)
    Diviner
    Transmuter
    Conjurer
    Enchanter

I got bored when they reached the Nashkell mines and haven't played them since. Maybe, one of these days I will bring them all the way to TOB.....

16. Mistyca Gems: 5/31

Im now playing (and having fun) with this party:
    Me (kensai/mage dualled at lvl 9)
    Korgan
    Jahiera
    Viconia
    Jan
    Mazzy

If i'd create all 6 characters i'd play with:
    Sorcerer
    Assassin
    Kensai
    Skald
    Cleric
    Archer

17. cathon Gems: 5/31

If you go with the thief/mage, try an Archer as your other character. Devastating from the back, and a decent guard for your thief/mage and sorcerer if the enemy gets close.

Another thought would be to get more cleric type spells and have either a specialty priest or single class druid or druid kit.

18. Vicsun Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

1. Sorceror
    2. Mage
    3. Assasin
    4. Assasin
    5. Cleric
    6. Archer/Fighter w/a bow.

19. Lukki Gems: 5/31

Veteran

I found this topic by an accident... I was using search..

1. Monk (protagonist must be strong in melee and resistant to magic)
    2. Fighter using 2-handed swords
    3. DC Fighter/Cleric 7/X
    4. DC Fighter/Thief using bows or crossbows
    5. Mage/Cleric
    6. Conjurer

20. StressedE Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

[​IMG] Uhh, this thread started in June. I don't think he is still waiting for ideas for his party

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.