1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Best class combination

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Thunderhammer, Jun 20, 2001.

1. Thunderhammer Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

What is the best class combination for BG? Also, is it better to dual class because of the xp limit or go with a racial multi class?

2. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Well, I think this is an old debate, but this is how I view it. A multi class character can be quite good during the lower levels of game play. Fighter/thieves and fighter/cleric (druids) are particuarly good combos for multiclassing in BG. Now, as always, dual classing will usually work best for creating characters. I believe you can dual from a fighter at level six in BG and still have enough experience to reach most any level of another class, perhaps a thief or mage or cleric. However, the wait can be long. Things can be done to reduce this wait, like hunting in the Wryn cave or killing golems in the golem cave. But it just depends if you want to make this kind of investment in time. Usually, dual classing lets you arive at more well rounded, powerful characters. But multi classing in BG doesn't miss that much. It's all up to you and how you'd like to play it.
    Now, there's lots of good classes in BG. Honestly, I wouldn't suggest a Paladin or Ranger. I know lots of people like them. Hey, I like them too. But they miss out on too many of the higher level abilities that make these classes so worthwhile with such a low experience cap. Fighters are always nice, as many people can't seem to find a good one in the game. I honestly liked Khalid, so I didn't go that route. I'd suggest a fighter/cleric. Either multi or dual him. They would be quite powerful in this game I'm sure; I know they are in BG2. Fighter/mages or just straight mages are possibly just as good of a choice. I'd suggest dualing the fighter/mage for best results at level 6. He can make a great backup mage and fighter, though to be realy effective as a fighter, you'll have to give him the robe of the archmagi and the better cloaks or rings that can be worn with it to give him decent ac without armor. A straight mage is nice, as they're aren't a ton of great selections. But if you have more than one in a party, you won't need a mage that can cast all the best spells as long as the 2 (or more) you take have all the bases covered.
    So I'd suggest the fighter/cleric, or possibly a fighter/mage myself.

3. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Hmm the problem with Fighter/Cleric are the weapons. In BG2 it's a very good DC but in BG, there aren't great weapons for this class...... The fighter/mage is great to play with, a Fighter/thief can be great also.

4. Thunderhammer Gems: 3/31

Yeah, I've got a Fighter/Mage in BG2 and he has done extremely well with the group I've put together. However, in BG, I played it through twice, first time with a straight Fighter then with a Fighter/Mage. The same character I'm currently running through BG2. I've played AD&D since 1981 and have always wrestled with dual-class vs multiclass. I think if you want best survivability with early strengths, and knowing ahead of time which direction you want to take your character in future games, then Dual-class is the way to go. If you're not sure then Multi-class gives more options. I've always been anal about playing by the rules and trying to avoid God-like character progression. It just seems to make the game much more enjoyable. Your thoughts?

5. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Thunderhammer I realy agree. I always say, you shouldn't make the game top easy. Powergaming sucks, plalying with Godlike-chars ain't funny and also not realistic. And so don't play this games with a character with 4 19's in the stats, class Ranger, weapons Crom Fayr Ring of Gaxx, superlow AC etc..... The game is most cool when you make it yourself a little bit harder....!

6. Avooch Dar Guest

just a point about the statment that a fighter/cleric could not use the best weapons. Excuse me? are you forgetting one of the most powerful weapons in the game???? The hammer +2 with lightning damage. :D :D :D

7. rangerdan Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I think a mage/thief is the best combo because he can be your "utility" person. Have him use a sling and stay in the back of the group out of most of the action

8. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Avvoch ---> well that hammer is a nice weapon for a cleric but not for a fighter in my opinion. It's a good weapon but not for a tank, it's rather fast but 1d4 + 2 plus electrical damage ain't very good.

9. [sOv]Storm Gems: 3/31

what about fighter/mage? youu can use the axe
    if you specialties in just that you get four specialties and the throwing axe is the only weapon that u can select to be a melee weapon as well.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.