1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Best Class for Solo and why?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Skat, Jan 26, 2003.

1. Skat Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I think this will bring in some interesting thoughts. I personally have no idea, but thats the reason behind my posting !!

By the way, lets work this as if the ToB was installed but still playing the SoA series.Purpose to eliminate the XP cap for Multi/Duelling characters.

Cheers
    Skat

[ January 26, 2003, 03:22: Message edited by: Skat ]

2. Aces Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

A mage dueled from a fighter so he/she could wear armor/weapons to fight when there is no need to cast spells.

Or if you are really big on thieves to disarm those traps, then a thief dueled from a fighter.

3. Demogorog Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

It really doesn't matter what class to chose when playing solo.

You gets so darn powerfull so you'll wipe out everything with even the most dreadfull looking class.

But if you whant something really powergaming (thats me =D) a tip would be kensai/mage, kensai/thief, sorcerer, berserker/thief, Berserker/cleric, monk, archer, assassin.

[Edit] Whit the XP-cap removed a fighter/thief/mage would be awsome but I would reconsider that extreme cheating.

At the end he would be level 40 in ALL THREE CLASSES!

Played them all, loved the all.

[ January 26, 2003, 11:02: Message edited by: Demogorog ]

4. Ghost Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Swashie is a good solo too. But i disagree with you on Assasin, he cant finish the game sololy. I've tried... his lousy thac0 cant backstab high lvl enemies... some bosses can see him although his hidden... You'll need to have distraction to stand a chance on this one.

I would be more than welcome if someone can tell me how to solo assasin. For good solo class, see above post.

5. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I would say mc mage-thief, any variant - be it illusionist-thief or a custom mc swashbuckler-thief or anything. Very versatile and very capable class. Also interesting is the less tried cleric-thief. The spells help to overcome the weaknesses of the thief class.

Playing BG-2 again I cannot stress enough the great use of spellcasting, be it cleric or mage spells. They enabled me to wipe out Koshi's party within a minute and to do so without getting seriously hurt - with a lvl-9 party.

6. Sadistic Butcher Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Ranger/Cleric, Sorcerer, or Fighter/Mage/Thief *definatley*!

I've soloed all of them and it's hard to tell which is more powerful, but I think I'll go with Ranger/Cleric if you don't have the experience cap removed.

Anyway, Demogorog is right, even a totemic druid or some other useless class will be extremly powerful soloing with experience cap removed...

7. Eze Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Sorcerer.

8. Demogorog Gems: 4/31

Ghost: Sorcerous Amon in the Promenade can be killed and looted for a cloak of non detection.

Put that on you assassin and enjoy. =)

9. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Ghost.

That is why you need to dual class your assassin at level 25 to fighter. That way you can gey 5* weapon mastery and massive thaco. Then when you hit at x7 backstab... it really hurts.

My first solo was an assassin/fighter dual class. He soloed the lot up till Brynnlaw taking Viconia for the romance. Grabbed Immie and then hit the 8million xp in "sharkland".

Uber of ubercharacters. Tons of lovely gibby pieces of enemy.

10. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

I'm surprised that nobody has said the "ultimate cheese class" yet. Monks are pretty awesome with solo. At high levels, they're immune to just about everything and can kill any creature with a single hit.

11. Aces Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Do the Monks fist never get past +3 weapon power?
    That would limit them no?
    A few bad guys need +4 to hit don't they?

12. Demogorog Gems: 4/31

Rastor: Didn't I mention the monk in my first post?

Aces: The will become +4 weapons, and then we can talk powergaming.

[ January 27, 2003, 08:01: Message edited by: Demogorog ]

13. Sadistic Butcher Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Don't know about a monk, you'd have some problems with mages since you have no way to breach their defenses, and cannot backstab...

Magic Resistance will help to some degree but in ToB mages will often cast lower resist so that only goes so far :) .

Not to say it's impossible, or even difficult, but could be pretty annoying spending 10 minutes to kill every mage.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.