1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Best fighter kit

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Day to Night, May 27, 2003.

1. Day to Night Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

What is the best fighter kit class (including barbarian and palidin kits).

2. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

That is a playing style question. I love the Archerfor ranged combat. For in close work, I like the Berserker (though Chevy has convinced me to give the Barbarian a whirl.) I happen to like Grand Mastery, so I'm sticking with fighters and their kits for this discussion (Archers being the only non-fighter kit able to achieve Grand Mastery.)

3. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    As I've stated in other threads (see LKD's confused response), the Barbarian is by far my favorite thumper. Check out the "Few Lame Kits" thread for more info. The Inquisitor is very powerful, though not as fun or interesting as the Chavalier. As far as the fighters themselves, I've heard nothing but good things about the Kensai (though I've never used one). Are Rangers included here? Because if so, the Archer is a definite madman. My next party will probably be: Chavalier, Barbarian, Archer, Cleric/Ranger, Mage/Thief and some Wiz or Sorcerer. But that's beside the point (felt like sharing).

@ LK Depaara

Dork! It was ME, not Chevy! Goofball. :mad: :( :p Yer killin' me, dude.

4. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Well my favourite fighter is the Kensai, Ranger would be the Archer and Paladin would be the Inquisitor. If I had to choose between these I would say the Archer.

@ Death Rabbit

Have you ever soloed with the Barbarian? Just wondering if I should give it a go.

5. Day to Night Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] The Archer and the sorcerer are by far the best kits with the cleric/ranger and Kensai comming a close second.

6. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    @ Malovae

Never soloed with a Barbarian. Actually, I've never soloed period. :( But it might be fun to solo with one. His speed will make the game go quicker, he'll increase in power very quickly, and he has the best rage. I suppose you could do well here, but I wouldn't personally, because I'd like to have magic of one form or another, especially with a solo character.

For that reason, for solo, I'd go with a Ranger/Cleric or a Paladin kit. The Ranger/Cleric has access to both druid and priest spells, can dual-wield for free, use any blunt weapon, and wear any armor. But you're looking for Kits here, so give the Barby or Pally a try. For solo, I would avoid the Inquisitor, just so you have access to more spells. The archer would be cool, though hard to do all by himself. His arrows are powerful, but if he were to get surrounded in battle I don't think he would last too long.

7. Elan Morin Tedronai Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

It depends of the race and your playing style... For a dwarf I would choose Battlerager (Berserker c'est-a-dire)... For human, elf or half-elf I don't mind for a kensai... Personnaly I think that the best Paladin kit is the Cavalier one - purely machine...

8. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

I consider the swashbuckler and blade as fighters as well. Not the best but are more orientated toward it.

I'll probably get laughed at for this comment but I think they are quite good for it (fighting, that is), compared to the other kits in bard and thief classes.

9. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I reckon Korgans battlerager class is pretty powerfull, but one of my friend reckons his Kensai would kill him in an instant, It would be good if you could put them in a battle ring or something!
    You could set them against each other, but it wouldent have the atmousphere. :(

10. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Swashbucklers make very good fighters, though they hit less often. But my Swashbuckler dual-wielding The Equalizer and Celestial Fury is a sight to behold. He can chop up goblins in under three seconds!!! :D

As for the oringinal subject...Wizard Slayers is a challenge and not very good for soloing. For soloing, you'll probably want a Kensai, or a Barbarian. Undead Hunters are awesome when fighting undead (duh), and there's quite a bit of undead in the game too.

11. Bloodtitan Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

halforc fighter/thief (19 str and con) with celestial fury and some other beefy sword.

hm this is the SoA board but you can play SoA even if you got ToB installed. considering this is no "classic bg2" board this is the powerbeast. you get the abilities to lay timestop traps later and whirlwind your enemies to their ancestors. noone can stand this. nice one to see a red dragon slashed into slices of flesh and doing nothing.

12. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Just send a Cavallier with ** on 1H-style and one of the following:

celestial fury
    flail of ages
    something +3 you have a good proficiency in
    Carsomyr (2H, so no 1H benefits but still +5)

... after a daemon or dragon.

Don't forget about draw upon holy might that Inquisitors don't have ;)

13. Ollom Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Fighter would be berserker, cause their disadvantages, let's face it, aren't that bad. For ranger, my brother plays an archer and they rape enemies good. Their arrows do a crapload of damage and archers fire fast. I've never tried a barb, sounds cool, and I had a Cavalier which I think they're really cool.

14. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Bloodtitan, this forum is for SoA only, meaning no ToB, ever. If you are playing SoA part of the game with ToB installed you must post in the other forum. The forum description makes that crystal clear.

15. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

If I'm going to send in a Paladin without Carsomyr, he's either going to dual wield a pair of +3 weapons that he is at least proficient with (Celestial fury and the Flail of Ages comes to mind) or with a big shield. But really, the Cavalier and Carsomyr are meant for each other.

In fact, I'd like to modify the Cavalier so that he cannot use a shield at all! I'd give him some other bonus to balance it out (like an extra attack every other round or something) but for game flavor that would be cool. I'd even consider going so far as to say he can wield only two-handed weapons! That would be so sweet.

16. Death Rabbit

Media:
    As I've stated in other threads (and I'll continue to do so until I convert everyone!!!), I think the Barbarian is just a madman. Better than the Berserker by far.

It seems this thread was supposed to be called "Best Warrior Kit," so I'll also say I'm quite fond of the Rangers (except for the Beast Master). I've always thought the vanilla Ranger was a great character to play. They are very versatile in battle. I don't know - maybe I just know how to play them well. I've always had great success with them.

@ LKD

That's funny - I've always thought of the Cavalier as more the heroic sword and shield type, myself. Charging into battle with his coat of arms proudly displayed on his shield, protecting him from the main weapons of the very enemies he's built to fight (breath weapons and projectiles from demons and dragons). I personally would peg the Inquisitor as the two-handed guy. The Undead Hunter seems the blunt weapon type to me, if not wielding some kind of holy sword (like Daystar). They seem the best for zombie-stompin'.

17. Bloodtitan Gems: 8/31

well ok then ... i'd say anything that gets 5 points in a weapon feat is 'best'. it really doesn't matter except 2-3 chars like pure kensai (not that good) or wizzyslayer. as long as you get 5 attacks with 2 weapons or bow or 4 attacks with 1 weapon they are all good.

18. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Naaah, Cavaliers are typically sword&shield guys, made after mediaeval knights. Such oddities as dual-wielding or 1H-style ones have some backing in history, but 2H weapons aren't really considered noble. Of course they weren't always fighting from horseback and could even become proficient with 2H swords, but not as something usual. Anyway, fighters get only -2 penalty for using weapons without proficiency and if the weapon is similar to one they're proficient with, then the penalty is further reduced to -1 (though I doubt this rule is implemented in BG2) and it's practically impossible to tell the difference between this and actual proficiency, especially on higher levels.

19. the assassin Gems: 8/31

Ive tried to go for the paladin (sword and shield look) but it doesnt completely work out. You miss out on Carsomyr and/or 2* into 1-handed weapon style....shields arent THAT useful.....but they look cool......sometimes its just better to do more damage than dodging arrows......

20. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

The wizard-slayer is great, but not as great as in ToB.

Advantages:
    10% Culmulative spell failure
    1% Magic resistance/level

Use:
    10% Culmulative spell failure:
    This applies to all spellcasters. Wizards, sorcerers, bards, druids, paladins, rangers and clerics. It even makes works against the barbarian and the beserkers abilities to enrage and all the other special abilities that can only be accessed by the special menu bar or the spellcasting bar. It also works even though the enemy have a improved mantle and you have a measly long sword +2. Liches, dragons, vampires. All monsters fall under the curse of the wizard-slayers culmulative spell failure.

1% Magic resistance/level:
    This is good, even though that it gets even better in ToB but when you are on level 19 you have 19% magic resistance which can be really helpfull when it applyes to the character.

Disadvantes:
    May not use any magic items except for weapons and armor.

Use:
    May not use any magic items except for weapons and armor.
    So? You really don't need the ring of Gaxx or the bracers of archery. Just equip your character with these things. This is if you are ready to give almost all the powerfull items to yourself.

Helm: Helm of Balduran
    Armor: Ethier do Viconia's romance and take the last enemies armor or use the plate of Balduran.
    Shield: None or the shield of Balduran.
    Weapons: Here is many different things. Ethier Blackrazor or Lilacor with the Elven Court bow or the mana bow or Blackrazor or Crom Feyr with the shield of Balduran.
    Boots: Actually, the wizard-slayer CAN use the boots of speed. They isn't counted as magical.

Conclusion: A very good fighter that is great against all enemies in the game.
    Mark: 9/10 - Why? It isn't a perfect kit after all.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.