1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Best World Cup XI

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Barmy Army, Jun 4, 2006.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    What it says.

Pick a team from previous World Cups. It will be a 4-4-2 system, so select 1 keeper, 4 defenders, 4 midfielders and 2 forwards.

Remember, you are looking for World Cup performances, and nothing else.

I'll start the ball rolling...

GK - GORDON BANKS - England. His performances in 1966 were solid, and he played a massive part in the Final success, however, he will be forever remember for that save against Pele in 1970. If he had played in QF and not been struck down with Montezuma's revenge, England may well have made it to the Final again.

FB - CARLOS ALBERTO - Brazil 1970. Need I say more.

FB - PAOLO MALDINI - Italy. Played in 5 World Cups if I remember rightly. I can never remember one bad game over those WC's. Legend.

CB - FRANZ BECKENBAUER - W Germany. Three magnificent Finals with W Germany.

CB - BOBBY MOORE - England. A great man, but has got in here purely because of the greatest tackle in history made on the great Pelé.

WM - JOHAN CRUYFF - Holland. Quite simply, the 2nd best player to ever play the game.

WM - GARRINCHA - Brazil. Brazil never lost when him and Pelé were in the same team. That tells its own story.

CM - DIEGO MARADONA - Argentina. I do this grudgingly, but when a talent like this comes along, you have to acknowledge it. A cheat and a drug-abuser, but the 3rd best player of all time. Genius.

CM - MICHEL PLATINI - France. His range and accuracy of passing has still not been matched today.

FW - GERD MULLER - W Germany. 62 games / 68 goals in his international career.

FW - PELÉ - Brazil. The master. The greatest man to ever play football. I don't think he will ever be matched.

2. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

don't tell me you are one of those CM players who like to list his best 11 players on desk while in class?

3. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    On desk in class? I work for a living you tool!

I thought it would be interesting for those interested in football to list their top all-time XI :thumb: .

4. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

it's a rhetorical question, i think.
    when i was in school, a gang of us play CM2. We like to write out our best clubs' best 11 on our desk. Then when i went to college, playing CM3, meeting a new gang of friends, they too like to write best 11. It look as if our life is revolve around listing best 11.

5. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

GK - OLIVER KAHN - Germany. I don't like him. (I don't like Lehmann, either). But his achievements during the last WC justify his place here.

FB - ROBERTO CARLOS - Brazil. While not much of an defender, he is a legend because of his free kicks.

FB - PAOLO MALDINI - Italy. No argument here.

CB - FRANZ BECKENBAUER - W Germany. Yep.

CB - GUIDO BUCHWALD - Germany. Hey, no one but him could neutralize Maradona. :D

WM - LOTHAR MATTHAUS - Germany. Another dispisable person, but a great player nonetheless. Without him, we would not have won in 1990.

WM - GARRINCHA - Brazil.

CM - DIEGO MARADONA - Argentina.

CM - MICHEL PLATINI - France.

FW - JUST FONTAINE - France. The record holder. 13 goals in one tournament.

FW - PELÉ - Brazil. 'Nuff said.

6. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Bah...anyone that doesn't pick Johan Cruyff can hardly be taken serious.

7. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'm not that good at this, but let's give it a shot.
    Same as Barmy's, seemingly except for these changes.

In the goal: Lev Yashin, the black spider, former USSR. Only rivaled by Gordon Banks and Dino Zoff. The Belgian Pfaff ain't bad either, I heard.

Midfield: Ferenc Puskas, the golden left leg, Hungary. I can't stand Maradonna and I want to give the Magnificent Magyars of the early 50s some credit.

Front: Juste Fontaine iso Muller

(Coach: Rinus Michels)
    Gotta admit that a team without Pelé and Cruijff is unheard of.

[ June 12, 2006, 05:08: Message edited by: Master of Nuhn ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.