1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

BG2 vs Diablo 2

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by jbigdaddy, Feb 1, 2002.

1. jbigdaddy Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] I have seen in various forms and places that people like Diablo 2 over BG2 or TOB, how is that? I mean I love RPG'S and I liked Diablo but didn't really get into Diablo 2 at all. I didn't even finish it I disliked it that much, and I dont think it's just because I love the BG series. I love RPG'S first and foremost. I honestly fail to see what Diablo 2 holds over BG2 or TOB. I just don't see it, would anyone care to inform me.

[This message has been edited by jbigdaddy (edited February 01, 2002).]

2. PowerPuff Guest

In Diablo2, the world looks a bit different each time you play it, and items are randomly generated. So each time you kill some freaky little monster, you get a little surprise gift, which is sort of like eating a kinder-egg :p. I suppose that should be considered a plus, but I sure got bored with it quickly, though...

Come to think of it, the nicest thing about diablo2 was the video flicks after each act... ;)

[This message has been edited by PowerPuff (edited February 01, 2002).]

3. Deathmaster Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Diablo games are for people who like RPG's but without an indepth story, and intense character developments and interactions.
    In diablo, all you have to do is hack and slash your way to victiory.

BG games and the like offer so much more than other RPGs, because the game is so engrossing, and can take over your life.

How many times have you layed awake at night thinking about what the best party choices there are, or debating with yourself what the best class is in BG games. I know i do.
    But diablo is good at first, and there is very little difference in character class especially in the first diablo.

Every level up you go, you increase your attributes, and by the end of the game you can actually turn your mage into a kickass fighter, or vice versa, and frankly after a while it just gets boring as the game is so straight forward and nothing changes apart from map layouts. Aligments affect nothing in the game, aswell as classes affect nothing in the game.

4. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Apples and oranges. They are so different that it is pointless to compare them.
    BG2 is a traditional RPG. Diablo is an action game set in a fantasy environment.

5. Lord Sarevok Guest

I couldn't stand Diablo 2 either! SUCH a pointless game! Click on a monster, it dies, click on the next, and so on and so on. Nothing fun about it! Not to mention the graphics totally stink, but I wouldn't mind that if the game was half decent. IMO the graphics in the first Diablo were better. I got to Hell and then just stopped playing. I have no idea how the makers of Warcraft 2 and Starcraft could make such utter crap! I totally loved the first Diablo but the second really, really sucks.

If anyone wants a copy of diablo 2 in good condition, send me your adress :).

[This message has been edited by Lord Sarevok (edited February 01, 2002).]

6. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I played Diablo-1 completely about 2 times - and, god, I got boooored. Hack'n'slash is pretty nice for a while but *that* was too much .... even dungeon keeper was more of an RPG that Diablo :D

7. jbigdaddy Gems: 5/31

Apples and oranges yes but one seems to be a really bad apple that a lot of people liked.
    :evil:
    I wanted to know why.

[This message has been edited by jbigdaddy (edited February 01, 2002).]

8. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

One could just as well ask why people watch Shwarzenegger or Stallone movies... Just turn your brains off and look at stuff dying/being blown apart etc. Mindless fun :) (Not that I care much about Diablo.)

9. jbigdaddy Gems: 5/31

I think I need to take a peek at a Diablo forum to see how the other half sees the situation.

[This message has been edited by jbigdaddy (edited February 02, 2002).]

10. Gamer Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I'm a real Diablo 2 fan and in a D2 Clan but I have to say that the game can be really boring. Yes, it can be if you play offline. All who said Diablo 2 sucks, did you play it online in the battle net? Together with other players it's much more fun and you can play it for hours and days. I don't want to say that Diablo 2 is better than BG2. You can't compare them. Some of my friends even say D2 is more like Counter Strike.

11. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Okay, let me say that I like the Diablo series *ducks for cover* :)

I've played Classic Diablo and Diablo2 to the fullest, for several years... Diablo is low to no story, True. It's just hack and slash, unlike BG, *wrong*.

I've had this discussion before, and I've heard say that BG requires more thought, more planning. HalfTrue. BG *can* require more planning. In D2, if you play a cookycutter like a WWbarb or the like, yes, you can just wade in and kill everything in sight. HOWEVER, how is this different from BG, where I can create a super party that destroys everything in 2 secs?

Let's see: You've got your character, which starts out weak, and has to gain levels to get stronger, and needs better items to stay stronger. (just like in Bg)

Both games can be played in Powerplay mode. BG can also be played in Roleplaying mode. Well, sorry to let me burst your bubble, so can Diablo. If you stop solo-ing with your übercharacter, and start playing some of the more difficult classes with noncookycutter skills, in a party with people you like, there's as much roleplay in it as in BG. Sad thing is, the majority of Battle.net powerplays. So it's easy go with that flow.

I've played a Melee Sorceress for some time, (Major untercharacter/variant) and that was the best time I've EVER had with ANY game. My character was weak, alone and was a great challenge. I've finished the complete game with her, at the hardest level. (For those who want to know more about that, go to www.thebardstavern.f2s.com/barbaria_ann.htm )

My point is, that if you roleplay Diablo -be it solo or with friends- the game can get just as much depth as Baldur's Gate. Sure you can just run in with your uberskillz, and kill everything, but how about carefully planning each big battle, looking at which skills to use, how many monsters to lure away, wether you should get backup or not, etcetc...

"BG games and the like offer so much more than other RPGs, because the game is so engrossing, and can take over your life"

Hehehe, true, but again, the same goes for Diablo. I myself have been addicted to this game for over 4 years...

"I couldn't stand Diablo 2 either! SUCH a pointless game! Click on a monster, it dies, click on the next, and so on and so on. Nothing fun about it! "

And how is this different from BG? A lvl highlvl monk along with a sorcerer that swipes away some battleprotections and throws in some meteors can cut stuff away just as easily, and then move to the next monster... where again was the difference?

Short summary:
    You can make Diablo fun by making it a challenge for yourself, or by playing together with other people. BG and Diablo *are* two different games, but the thing they have in common is, that -how- you play the game, is what makes it fun. Powerplaying in BG isn't fun either.

12. void Guest

I chose Diablo II over BG2 for a year (not even purchasing BG2), then when I finally discovered BG2, after beating Diablo 2 many times, I found that it was WWWWAAAAAAYYYYYY better than Diablo 2 ever had been. Diablo 2 gets so repetative and with the expansion it's hard for most classes to win in the end while some find it to be simple...I also disliked the way that you had a set gender and appearance and allways wished they had done it differently... anough ranting now...

Cheers, Void

13. Farthy Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

[​IMG] Can anyone explain why the colleagues I work around know not of the BG series and yet 99.99999999% (of males) know what Diablo 2 is? I am the only one in my knowledge around the area that I work in who knows what BG is!!! This is so aggrivating! I try to explain it to them and they remark, "It sounds too complicated." I even showed one of them the game and they still thought it was too hard. Why is Diablo so much more popular though? Better advertising? Blizzard a more popular company?

Maybe I just meander around the wrong people?

14. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Geez, it's simple. Any moron can sit down and play Diablo 2 without knowing jack. All you need is a working mouse. Brains are an added plus, but not really necessary if you can click fast enough.

You actually have to know at least a bit about AD&D and (God forbid!), read the manual to get the hang of BG2 and similar games. That's why most people stay away from them. Thinking when playing games? Get real!

Of course there's also the fact that BG2 isn't nearly as fun in multiplayer as Diablo 2... That's the problem. BG2 was meant to be played in single player from the start (there are 200+ hours in it if you do all the quests, after all). Diablo 2 was created with multiplayer in mind from the beginning. That's why it's simplified to the core and can be finished in an hour with a powerful enough character.

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited February 04, 2002).]

15. McWeasel Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Stuff Diablo.

I mean, I've played it for about 5 hours straight, and I've come out none the wiser. With BG II and ToB, you get a rich, full storyline and days upon days of endless adventuring. I mean, how can a game be good without a Dragon in it? Really?

16. Xyclos Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

BG2 rocks diablo anyday! Diablo 1 was quite fun I had to admit, Diablo 2 was really quite fun too in the beginning. But eventually my barbarian could just slaughter millions of foes in about 20 secs, in the end it was simply just flashy graphics and clicking the mouse.

With games like diablo 2, you are constantly playing to power up your charachter to show off to your friends (at least thats what it was like with me) and its completely pointless. BG2 is more about fun.

Last time I checked some guys on Bnet have reached like 95th level on their charachters. Thats like playing online 24/7 for months! How pointless =/

However as a side note, pointless violence can be really fun sometimes and I always play CS whenever I tire of BG2.

17. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Yep Diablo2 can be played by any idiot with a mouse. BG2 can't. Is that a bad thing? I think not. If people can't understand/follow your game, they won't play it. That's what makes games like Diablo and Counterstrike big. Easy games, for easy fun. But for those who want more out of the game, they'll have to make their own extra's... Those are the people who make hardcore variants, make mods and have a set group of friends who they play with. Pretty much like in BG2. Is a solo F/M/T not a variant? is TDD not a mod?

I can't make people like the game, but at least I hope I can make you see the *other* point of view. (Which was the original post's idea iirc...)

18. Alienboy Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Well, I dont know *any* idiot. My step brother(nathan, 14) couldn't get the hang of diablo 1 or 2. So I hacked a game(level 30) for him and he couldn't die so he kept playing. I got bored not on a computer so I used sabotage. Unhacked. Made him level8 and hardcore mode. He was dead before quest 5.

Anyhow I agree *most* idiots can play. I have finnished both games and BG2 is better*? IMO (and I didn't know a thing about D&D)

p.s Savervok I'll have that game if you can send it.:)

19. fungus Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Well I have to say BG2 is far more playable than D2. I think I can say this after playing D2 enough to have about 15 lev 80+ Realm chars on D2 (Yeh yeh sad no life, the price I pay for having kid and cant go out at night :( ).

Saying that D2 is far more multi player friendly. All this version dosent match, wrong frame rate, and unable to go or do anything, unless host gives permision kinda sucks. So if anyone plays good multi games, please let me know as i've simply given up on gamesspy :( .

20. War Nerve

War Nerve And it took me back to something that I'd lost

I used to be a Diablo fanatic, and when the Baldurs Gate series were introduced to me, I was intimidated by how much you have to think and plan out the combat versus clicking here and there (hey, I was young and naive). The multiplayer experience in the Diablo games was a blast; trading, getting into the whole D2 "economy," fighting together and so forth. I can, however, say that no Diablo title can compare to any BG game in single player.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.