1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Big Honking Posts

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by LKD, Nov 22, 2005.

1. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

[​IMG] While I admit freely that I have posted a few long ones in my time, some of the ones I've seen lately blow my mind. To those out there posting novels, please allow me to cite an example from a film that many of you may have seen.

In "A River Runs Through It", the father teaches his sons to write at home. One of his techniques is to have them write a paper, he reads it and red-lines it, and then tells the boy "Again. Half as Long." He does this three times. It generated one son who was a writing instructor at a university and another who was a journalist.

My point? Brevity is the soul of wit. I value all opinions but I cannot read these long, rambling posts without getting seasick.

My apologies, Tal, if this is out of line. It's just been bugging me since I came back to the boards.

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

3. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Right...

4. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

There's a great difference between pointless rambling, and making thorough arguments and counterarguments. I don't mind the long posts at all, if they're well formulated. Being punchy is a good thing, but shortness as a value in its own right isn't. A post can be very on-the-spot even though long.

5. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I'm guessing I'm one of the principal offenders.

My only defence is the complexity of some of the issues under discussion. I feel that I cannot do proper justice to some without being fairly wordy. Simplicity is desirable, but at times it is simply not possible to keep it short and simple while still handling the discussion/post/issue appropriately.

My apologies for the nausea, LKD.

6. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

It can be, that's true. It's just that they rarely are. Perhaps some more effort by some to cut down on long quotes would be the answer.

7. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    LKD, a word of warning...if you ever get an SPS account, stay away from the Copper Coronet! My posts in there tend to get quite long... :lol:

But some times you need an extra long post to get all the needed information to get your point across. :rolling:

8. Aces Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] What did he say?
    I didn't read the first post because it was too long winded.
    :geezer:

9. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

@Aces:
    :lol: You didn't miss much, he just complained about people posting novels...and then posted something from a novel. :nuts:

@LKD:
    Perhaps, but in my case it's necessary. If you look through my Alley posts, you'll notice a direct correllation between length and sense. Unless I explain something to death, people usually don't get my point. :nolike:

It's like the time when my Uncle Scratchy... :roll:

10. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Well, some people enjoy spanning their arguments over several pages with every post, and there's really no practical solution that would put a stop to it. Now and then it's even justified. And since people often quote others in their posts, setting up a character limit wouldn't really work. So the only sensible way to battle the text diarrhoea is to concentrate on and reply only to the most important parts and points of the posts from people who go overboard with the length of their posts. Because every mile long post can be summed up in a fraction of the text used to compose it. However, admittedly, this is something the original posters should have done, and is often very annoying and time-consuming if you are the one that has to be doing it on the behalf of someone else.

Of course, if anyone has any good suggestions how to force people to stay within certain length boundaries, I'm all ears.

Anyway, this should be in SS, so I'm moving it there.

11. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

My apologies for the mistake in thread placement. In any event, I guess I've made my point.

12. kuemper Gems: 31/31

I hope chev didn't read this. :eek:

Unless I really have something to say or feel the need to discuss it point-by-point, I try to keep my posts as short as possible. When the poster is just yakking to yak or regurgitating what other people are saying, then it's a big waste of time for anyone reading it.

13. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

People use these boards for different reasons. I just like to read relatively short posts about a few topics and move on. Others like to debate and argument, which naturally takes a longer post. I usually get away from those posts, unless I'm in the mood to read it patiently.

14. Sydax Gems: 19/31

Should stay away from AoDA, there are really long posts there... :D
    As for me, I read everything I can, I am learning English.

15. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I bet he was the first who read this, but he is still typing out his reply... :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.