1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Blade?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Gaidin-_-, Aug 7, 2003.

1. Gaidin-_- Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

well...i was wanting something different...

so i went with a blade.

tell me..are these guys better in the upper levels than they are at lvl 7? *shudders*

or am i just plain screwed?

anywho....just curiuos...

2. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Blades aren't THAT bad. No choice really is. The best thing about blades is that they have fighter abilities, and mage abilities. Unfortunately, the worst thing about blades is that they aren't very good fighters and they aren't very good mages.

Here are some of the benefits. Most people go through the game with two mages. By taking a blade, you avoid the need for that second mage, as your blade can take over some spell casting duties. Plus, as a blade, you are going to get a much wider selection of weapons, and a much better THAC0 than any of the dual-classed mages in the game would.

There are also a few tricks you can use in battle to help them out. One of their abilities is defensive spin, which reduces their armor class to -10, but as a penalty they can't move. If you give your blade the Ring of Free Action, he CAN move even when he enables defensive spin. So, a few times per day you can wade into the middle of a melee battle with -10 armor class, and just be swinging away.

Other good points about blades - they can get up to three stars in two weapon fighting style, so they can dual wield with no real penalty. Also, by the time he hits around level 10, you'll be able to identify everything in the game, and you won't have to waste slots for the identify spell.

Take your proficiencies in katana and long sword, and you won't be disappointed with his skill in battle, and you'll still have a secondary spell chucker around to boot.

3. Gaidin-_- Gems: 3/31

what im really needing is the gauntlets of dex and belt of str....i had to nerf those two attributes...

STR - 16
    DEX - 12
    CON - 18
    INT - 18
    WIS - 10
    CHA - 18

and i put my first weapon attribute into short swords, though i plan to follow up with long swords and katanas asap...not to hard since they only get one point...

are their any items that are like the gauntles and girdles except for wisdom?

thx!

4. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    No belts, etc. that boost wisdom, but you don't really need to worry about that for a bard too much.

5. diebysteel Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I would say your blade is to intelligent and has to much con. He doesn't get more hp for con over 16, and as he can only learn spells up to level 6, you don't need so much int. You have enough lore and you only get a little better chance for learning spells wit each int point.

6. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

As diebystell said you have "bailed" a little with your stats... If you had lower int, you could just have learned some spells via potions etc. Using that trick it's easy to avoid the max spells per level limit...

7. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    One last thing on the stats. If you are looking for the gauntlets of dexterity and that is why you dropped your dexterity so low, that's fine. However, the same quest that yields the gauntlets also yields the girdle of fortitude, so there is no real reason to dump dexterity in favor of constitution. Also, if you're making this guy a melee fighter, you can drop the intelligence and charisma a bit and load up on physical attributes. If you are not making him a melee guy, you need high dexterity for missile weapons and bows.

From a powergaming perspective, you have rolled 92 points. That means you can start off with 18 in intelligence, dexterity, wisdom and charisma. You can have a 10 in both strenth and constituion, knowing that you will be able to boost both with the same slot (girdle). I.e., you can buy a girdle of hill giant strength early to set that stat to 19 and, as mentioned above, you can also get the girdle of fortitude early on, which can be implented to boost your con to 18, then removed in favor of the other girdle. Thus, you are committing one slot to having all 18's (plus a 19). The other alternatives all involve multiple slots (i.e., girdle for either strength or constitution plus, say, ring for charisma or gauntlets for dexterity -- if you are going to go on to TOB, well, I'll just say you want to conserve slots for this character).

8. Blackhawk Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] If you have Throne of Bhaal installed, rogues gain a really powerful ability: use all items.

I think this applies to Blades too. This ability lets you use any item - all armor, cloaks, all bracers, etc... My thief in Throne of Bhaal has a AC of -19.

The best armor you can wear in Shadows of Amn is in the Umar Hills. I don't want to spoil anything, so I'll be intentionally vague.

Since Blades have better fighting skills than normal thieves - you will be a jugernaut of destruction. :)

9. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Presumably he's only playing SoA, or he would have posted in the ToB forum.

A couple of comments:

In one respect, a bard can actually be a better spell-caster than a mage, in that the effectiveness of certain spells depend on the level of the caster. A bard can get to lvl 23, while a mage is limited to lvl 17 (assuming no exp cap remover).

Also, I wasn't sure if you are soloing, but if not, you might want to consider Haer'Dalis for the simple reason that, while blades can only be proficient in a weapon, he can be specialized (not sure why; maybe because he's a tiefling, or maybe just because its one of those NPC bonuses). (Doesn't get the exta 1/2 attack, though, so the advantage of specialization is probably offset by his poor stats relative to yours.)

10. Victor Eremita Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Tenser's Transformation combined with Offensive Spin is a powerful combo: 10 attacks per round, improved THAC0 and double HP...

And like Splunge says, the Blade can be a pretty good spell caster with the level based spells.

In SoA I'd go with a Skald instead of the Blade though, his bard song is greatly improved compared to the other kits - and later on when you get spells like Mislead you can have your clones do the singing (and the songs are stackable!) while you fight, or sing or whatever... If you have - or get - ToB the HLA Enhanced Bard Song will give the Blade an awesome song.

IMO the Skald really becomes useful in a group around level 15: by then it only takes two bard songs to give your party members +8 to to hit and damage, - 8 to AC and some immunities as well.

Hmm, but you wanted to talk about the Blade. IMO the biggest problem is the poor THAC0 and low HP. The Blade is a fighterish character so you have to compensate for those disadvantages - fx using Tenser's as mentioned above. Oh, and Stoneskin, Mirror Image etc. are of course nice when standing toe to toe with the enemy.

Oh, and you can use all those instruments as well. They can come pretty handy and they save some spell slots for your spell casters.

Any character can be great fun to play - even if they are not the most powerful...

11. Gaidin-_- Gems: 3/31

is it just me or is one forced to power-game with his main character in any bg game or in virtually any D&D game period?

The dice rolls just aren't that nice to people...

If this were a blade i made for use in a story that im writing(im guilty of making characters just for that reason to) he'd probably have stats like these:

STR - 7 (under average)
    DEX - 18 (for what the blade is all about)
    CON - 10 (only average)
    INT - 13-15 (the learned bard of any type knows more than average, perhaps a lot more)
    WIS - 10-17 (depending on how much said bard has travelled and his age)
    CHA - 18 (the performer's rite)

then you make up that person's trademark weapons and such. then any swing, cut, gash, miss, headache, kidnapping, blackout, etc. is simply written off as Act of Plot.

And i do have ToB...i just don't now if this character is going to go that far. :p

[ August 08, 2003, 07:37: Message edited by: Gaidin-_- ]

12. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] That is irrelevant. As long as you have ToB installed, you must post in the ToB forum. See the forum descriptions for more info. Moving.

13. Laches Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

With regards to the stats of the bard, I am pretty sure that only the warrior classes (fighter, paladin, ranger) achieve a hit point bonus for having a constitution over 16. Thus, if you're a mage, monk, cleric etc. there is no reason to push the constituion past 16 from a purely power persepective. So, I would've lowered the 18 you put in con to 16 since those points don't help you any and raise your dex by 2 making it 18. That way you don't have to use the gloves of dex - there are more useful gloves out there. Strength on the otherhand is somewhere I've always felt free to skimp if necessary since many of my characters are going to wear a str enhancing item no matter how high the starting strength is.

14. Arian Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Well I've taken a blade all the way to the beginning of ToB with only Aerie in the party, only reason I quit was it was too easy. With 5 misleads singing the enhanced song and tenser's+stoneskin+blur+mirror image, dual wielding Celestial Fury and Belm he could wipe through anyone. Around -25 AC, below -30 THAC0, over 230 hp, 7 attacks per round IIRC, and time/spike traps to boot, there was nothing he couldn't handle. Ruins the fun IMHO, but as far as how strong can they be...let's just say strong enough. ;)

15. Menion Leah Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I don't get what some people are saying about the STR and CON. I'm to lazy to look up who said it, but someone said something like: you can drop both of these, since they can both be upgraded by belts.
    Uh, yeah, but that means you can only upgrade ONE stat. It's either the girdle of fortitude OR the girdle of hill giant strength, right?
    So I think it would be wise to dump DEX and one of the two, so you can pump both.

And to the last poster here: How the hell did you get those stats with a bard? -25 AC, seems logical to me, the bard can use any item. But -30 THAC0? How the hell did you do that!? I don't even think regular fighters get that. But I was most surprised at the 230 hp. I think a fighter with 18 con gets 238 (IIRC). So how can a bard get 230?

16. diebysteel Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

the 230 hp are from tensers transformation (magespell level 6) that doubles your hitpoints,gives +2 dam/hit and the THAC0 of a fighter of the same level for 1 round/level. But it deaktivates your magespells. The huge THAC0 i don't know i never played a blade.

Edit: Oh and can use both girdles. the one boost your strenght as long you wear it, the other must be activated and then your con is raised to 18 for 8hours. So after rest just use the one girdle and switch to the other.

17. Arian Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Well I don't have my laptop here right now but when I get it (thursday) I'll load up my bard and see what his normal no-buff THAC0 is and then tell you all the spells I use, then it might become more clear. I know it involves tenser's and around 5 singing misleads though. ;) And yes, the hp comes from tenser's, 115 or so at lvl 31, then double it, to around 230.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.