1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Boards o' Magick Rules - Update

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Taluntain, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] There haven't been any major changes or additions to our rules in several years now, so the recent change warrants an announcement here.

Only one of our rules has been expanded, and that is rule #11, which now states:

(11) Criticize and discuss to your heart's content, but do it constructively. No attacks, insults, or flames - be it on someone's person, religious beliefs, race, national background, sexual orientation or whatever. This is one of our most important rules. If you have a problem with somebody, do not flame them on our boards. No flaming of ANY kind is welcome here, neither in public posts nor in private correspondence via our message boards. The quickest way to get banned from our boards is to break this rule.

NOTE: Every member has the right to manually decline the receiving of private messages or reputation (with or without comments) from any other regular member for any reason. If a member directs you not to communicate with them via PM or to stop giving them reputation, they will only be expected to ask that of you ONCE, via a separate PM. You are required to abide by their wishes and cease such communication with them immediately, but you have the right to request the same of them (i.e. that they should not PM or use reputation on you again). Your counter-request should be in the form of a SINGLE response the original PM.

To report violations of this rule, please click on the Report Private Message icon in the top right corner of the PM in question. This will send a copy of the unwanted PM to our moderators and they will deal with the offender. To report the receiving of reputation hits from someone after you have notified them that you don't wish to receive reputation from them, please PM Taluntain.

---

I may change the wording slightly in the future if anything is unclear, but the gist of the rule will remain the same. This rule is not retroactive so any breaking of it in the past is irrelevant, but it does come into effect as of this posting. From this point onwards, everyone will be expected to abide by it.

If anything about the rule is unclear, please post here or PM me for clarification. Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  2. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

Isn't reputation anonymous anyway?

3. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] People with an SPS account can see who left them rep

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    People can also sign their username in the rep comment manually, which is often the case.

5. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Should members also be able to ask other members not to comment on their blogs?

martaug likes this.
  6. Taluntain

Media:
    Good question... this hasn't come up yet, but it might make sense to include blogs here as well. The blogs do have a few comment-leaving permissions that everyone can set, though. For instance, you can disallow comments altogether, limit them to people on your contact list only or disallow those on your ignore list to post comments.

I could also set the permission that would allow people to moderate comments within their own blogs, but that's a very powerful permission that's currently disabled.

7. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

Not that it matters to me, but I do wonder why such an addition is necessary. If someone does not like the reputation system they have the option to disable it. The same goes for PMs as well, where there is even more control than a simple on/off switch. But now you have to maintain lists of who you are not allowed to give reputation or who you cannot PM for whatever reason.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2009
  8. Taluntain

Media:
    If there's only one person that's bothering you, it's obviously not a good solution to have to disable reputation completely to avoid their hits. The same goes for PMs... ideally, there'd be an ignore system that would allow for putting individuals on PM/rep ignore, but until that becomes available, this should do.

It's not something that I expect more than 1% of people will want or need to use, so it's really not a big deal.

9. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

There go my plans to spend the weekend flaming Splunge. Now I'll have to find something else to do.

10. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    ...if you can find Splunge.

I think he's doing that same thing all middle-aged men do when they suddenly vanish off the face of the earth -- he's found a new love. What else would explain his prolonged absence than his devoting time to a younger, more exciting, and more beautiful love interest.

Out with the old and in with the new... trade-up... and all that.

Perhaps the BG saga just isn't peaking his interest anymore and he's moved on to his new love... Warrior Epic, Drakensang, Drama Queens or Harvest Moon: Frantic Farming. Damn shame.

Oh, on a more related note, Tal could you lock out any negative rep points from Splunge for me? :p

Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
  11. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I saw Splunge. He's been hanging around the 'trouser fly' thread.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.