1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Book Ideas, Anyone?

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Falstaff, Oct 31, 2002.

1. Falstaff

Falstaff Sleep is for the Weak of Will Veteran

[​IMG] So, I have been toying around with a novel idea for a while now, but I wanted some input as to what people would like to see in it. I also am having creative difficulties.

Anyways, I want to do a book about the Duergar, mostly because noone else has (that I know about). The problem is, I don't want this to be some kind of Drizzt ripoff - so what kinds of things would you all like to see in a new character?? Maybe more of a struggle with internal evil, or an evil character struggling with internal good (hmm - could be interesting).

[ November 03, 2002, 10:59: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

That depends where it is set. Make up a new world and have the story of why the duergar and the dwarves fought, seperated ect. That way there is no possibility of a Drizzt rip-off.

3. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] I have one, and since I'll probably never find the time to sit down and write it...I'll let you in on my idea:

Write something from an Orc or Goblin or Troll point of view. Or from the point of view of some powerful monster like a dragon or something.

I've always thought it is cool to see it from the other guys perspective!

Plus, if I ever write a book it will be about the Roman Army during the time of Trajan or Augustus.

4. Falstaff

You know, the orc idea had crossed my mind - maybe give "their side of life"... Not bad - I think that I will play around with that one.

5. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    There was a book a while back that was the Wizard of Oz story told from the persective of the Wicked Witch of the West. I think it was called "Wicked". I always thought that was a cool idea.

6. Thorin Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

The evil side has been portrayed in a book about dracoians set in the DragonLance series

7. Faerus Stoneslammer Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

About your duergar, maybe making him evil, but either too evil to fit in, in Duergar society, or not evil enough...ie he zealously goes out and hacks svirfneblin to bits, but detests the thought of slavery, or torture, etc.
    Or maybe make him live in a Duergar city that's gone good, and he wants to make it normal (ie. evil).
    If you want to read a book written from the bad guys' perspective, to get some ideas maybe? read "Crucible: the Trial of Cyric the Mad" by Troy Denning. But beware for bad writing...(Troy Denning is not, IMO, a good author).

8. Falstaff

Thanks - I read The Trial of Cyric... a few months ago, and it did give me some ideas - although the history of the dwarves sounds cool too.

9. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

You're gonna dedicate the book to Sorcerers' Place, right?

Do you really think that Duergar see themselves as evil? Like Nazi Germany, my guess would be that they have a solid world-view that supports their actions as either "just" or "necessary".

Why not write a book where a Duergar philosopher in Candledeep is trying to explain that worldview to a gathered group of scholars from the other races and lands. Using examples from history, personal experiences and the tenents of his faith, he would try to prove that the Duergar worldview is as valid as any other, and not deserving of the negative stigma attached to it.

:good:

10. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Consider this link , although the end result may end up in the Dwarven version of Drizzt.

11. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

A Duergar rebelion, maybe evil dwarves, the remnant of what a group that surrendered to the 'good' duergar after some war and are going to rebel against them, or something.
    OK, I've gotta get over my obsession with rebelions

12. Frostmage Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

Maybe you could write about a duergar clan fighting some other race (other dwarves, svirfneblin, maybe even drow).
    I myself have been toying with the idea of writing about a half-orc that hates orcs, and his moral dilemmas.

13. Falstaff

Wow - thanks Math, not too bad - I may have to play around with that one a bit. I have some background info on dwarves and duergar origins (D&D and FR handbooks, etc.) but does anyone know where I might find more??

And oh yes, when this turns into something, SP is absolutely on the dedication, especially anyone who provides "extra helpful" help!!

14. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Just one problem... No one in Candlekeep would let a Duergar in without providing some valuable book/scroll, and there are not many options how a Duergar could get one... Not to mention the problem of any regular scholar believing in existence of Duergar scholars... Makes about as much sense as Drow nurses... :shake:

15. Erebus Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Taluntain is right, you could, however make it about a group of dueger raiders trpped in the surface world.

16. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Details, details ....

Why not make the scholar half-duergar ... a duergar could have raped a woman during a raid.

He's in Candledeep studying philosophy, and starts to discover his roots.

Kinda like a dwarven Kunta-Kin-kay!

17. Falstaff

I had an idea about six months ago for a duergar who guided surfacers down to trade with duergar settlements - kind of a black market thing. Anyways, he accidentally interrupts some kind of twisted derro plot against the surface and it kind of goes from there - he is exiled against his will (not like a certain drow we know) and then there would be some internal strife stuff (I never made it that far). Unfortunately, I stopped working on it a while back - little more than a prologue and some intro materiel - and haven't done much since... I think that i like the dwarf/duergar breakup, though. I will play around with some ideas and see what happens.

EDIT: I put a preview in Creativity Surge.

Take a gander...

[ November 10, 2002, 23:32: Message edited by: Falstaff ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.