1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Boots of speed

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by wittynewt, Nov 4, 2001.

1. wittynewt Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] Hi,

I have just found my fifth pair of boots of speed in chapter 8. I have a party of six and hence one of them (Imoen at present) is dragging their heels. Are there any other double time items later in the game to give me a complete set? (or ones I might have missed earlier in the game)
    It really would be nice if all six characters could sprint.

I would rather not drop a character just for this :)

Cheers

WittyNewt

2. Archer14 Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Well you could cheat to get one. I'm not going to explain how but there are some topics about it all over + there are some guides on this site.

Also you could use shadow keeper to get a pair.

3. Mirkwood Guest

Well you could equip someone with the Taralash bow, it increases movement rate, not quite to Boots of Speed but they shouldn't be lagging behind much.

4. wittynewt Gems: 7/31

Hi,

Thanks for the info folks.

Yep I did consider using SK to add one, but I thought I would ask the question first. Never added an item using SK so far. Only used it to fix a romance lovetalk bug and as an item browser the other day. I was a bit concerned that it might screw up my game file, still I could always go back to an earlier save if it did.

I just thought that the developers must have put in six items if I had found five pairs of boots, makes sense since you can have six people in your party, sounds like that bow is number six.

Cheers,

WittyNewt

5. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    If you have a thief in your party you can equip him with the grandmaster armor you'd find in Gromnir's palace - it permanently gives haste on him (usable only by thiefs).

6. Archer14 Gems: 8/31

I think there is some armor that works exactly like the boots of speed but I forgot what it is called. If any one knows what it is I would like to know.

7. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] You can hide but you cannot run...

How I love the Boots of Speed!

8. wittynewt Gems: 7/31

Hi,

Thanks for the info, I went ahead and finished Gromnir this morning to get the armor.

Wasn't sure how useful it was going to be after Ragusa said it was only suitable for thieves, but as a correction it is usable by all my characters, minsc, keldorn, me (f/m mc, aerie, jaheira and Imoen.
    Description says only mages and monks can't use it (I guess kensai can't either but I haven't tried, no kensai in my party.

However, I have to say if I had a thief in my party I would be in heaven. Would free up a boot slot for elvenkind boots, stealth botos etc. Excellent armor for thieves

Jaheira is wearing it now and still has a decent AC (-7) and Imoen has her boots so she doesn't lose her spells.

Nice to have all six characters on speed, watching them rush around like that reminds me of Billy Wiz - anyone remember him?

Cheers,

WittyNewt

9. Ragusa

Media:
    Archer, this is the:

grandmaster's armor +6 (gromnir's palace)

This armor was made for the grandmaster of the Assassins, Vita Muerte. It not only protected Vita excellently but enabled him to pursuit his poor victims better ... The mage who enchanted this armor for him, soon got to feel this special characteristics of that armor ...

Item characteristics:

Movement rate like boots of speed
    AC: 1
    weight: 5
    min str: 6
    Can't be used by:
    Mages
    Monks

I only used it on thiefs but it is great for archers as well (especially when combined with elven cloak & boots)

10. Archer14 Gems: 8/31

Thanks for the info Ragusa. I think I'll put the armor on my new assassin.

[This message has been edited by Archer14 (edited November 04, 2001).]

11. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Isn't there also an amulet and a bow which increase movement speed?

P.S. Big B: 10/10 for the SW reference ;) :D

12. Ragusa

Media:
    [​IMG] The bow, Taralash is pretty good, and yes, it increases movement speed as well, but the wielder just gets +2 on movement rate (not as fast as boots of speed iirc).

The amulet of cheetah speed is handy and it gives as well +2 on your movement rate. It makes your char slower than when wearing boots of speed or the grandmaster armor.

Maybe both items together result in better speed than boots of speed - if the item effects add up.

13. corbulo87 Gems: 8/31

[​IMG] a good set of armour for a mage thief mc is the Sylvan chain +2, as you can cast and use thief skills while wearing it, and its AC 1 or 2.

14. Firestorm

Firestorm Beeep, Beeep, ERROR Veteran

Even better is the Aslyferund Elven Chain +5 AC:0 and makes you immune to non-magic weapons. While still allowing you to cast spells if you are a MC/DC mage.

And the Sylvan Chain is "only" AC:3.

15. NaLora Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

There is also the Amulet of Cheeta Speed in Sendai's Enclave.

Nalora

16. mannedoc Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

As a mater of fact, I have two boots of speed. Y built one somewhere and found the other on a character I killed, both in SoTC

17. SoTC? What game is that? Tell us!

18. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] Send Out the Clones

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.