1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Bringing back Khalid

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Niskers, Mar 10, 2004.

1. Niskers Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Has anyone given any thought to a mod that really does have a switch in the wall and *poof* we have Khalid back (for those of us who actually did like him). I'd do it if I had a) time, b) knew ANYTHING about making mods, but for now I just thought I'd poke and see if anyone else would be interested in doing sometihng like that.

2. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

It would be pretty cool indeed, I liked him.
    The downside would be that you´d loose the Jaheira romance. And I can think of a few that couldn´t stand that...

3. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I'd just as soon as he stayed a rotting corpse on that table in Chateau Irenicus. Sorry to say, but he was whiny and irritating and I bet Jaheira breathed a sigh of relief when he finally got the chop.

If a mod was going to be made to bring back NPCs from the first game, I'd much sooner go with Alora (funniest voiceset in the game bar none) or Xan.

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  5. Sarevok 435 Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

i would like to be able to get kivan

6. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Khalid is a wuss, he moans more then Aerie, he must stay dead!

7. Zephyr Angel Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Yeah, death to the Half-Elf that panssies his way to the Iron Throne! I hate that guy, kinda loved to be in Imoen's shoes since she saw the bad@$$ Irenicus flay that no-good excuse for a refuse heap of cowardly might. I still have no ide what Jahiera sees in that ninny!

8. Garmaniya Artemista Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

As I seem to recall Khalid saying often in BG1 "My heart's really not in this" I find his death to be rather soothing. I mean, who wants a fighter that is afraid to fight? Probably for the best that he's gone. Grats to Jaheria for getting over it so quick. Perhaps she was not so attatched as she seemed to be. Anyway, he's dead and that's fine with me.

9. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Khalid was extraneous in BG2. Just think about it. When you have a low-level party, vanilla fighters are extremely useful, with all their hitpoints, grandmastery, and ability to use any weapon. However, in SoA, you're looking at much higher-level parties. By the time you get into double-digit levels, both rangers and paladins start out-pacing fighters in usefulness.

So, why make a good fighter in SoA? Notice though that you do get paladins and rangers - Keldorn, Minsc, Valygar and Mazzy (who technically is a regular fighter, but she's practically a paladin, and can even get practically a paladin item with the Item Upgrade Mod.

Notice that they do have an evil fighter - Korgan - but that's because evil characters can't be paladins (obviously) or rangers (not obvious at all).

10. cadderly Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

about the whole evil paladin thing, what about making a paladin and making him fall, i did that in bg1, so i think it works in bg2, and if it does i think i should try soloing with a fallen paladin, might even get interesting dialogue. or maybe im reaching.

11. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

A fallen paladin would be an interesting NPC, imagine the fights he/she would get into with Keldorn, Mazzy and Anomen.

But from an effectiveness point of view Fallen Paladins = fighters. They lose all of their paladin abilities (IIRC)

12. david w Gems: 19/31

I think it'd be a nice idea if fallen paladins got evil abilities to make up for losing their paladin status. Smite Good perhaps, or the ability to forge cursed weapons. That sort of thing.

... None of which has anything to do with Khalid, of course, but then a discussion about paladins, fallen or otherwise, is a lot more interesting than some wuss who spent half the time running away from a group of bloody xvart.

13. cadderly Gems: 5/31

HEY, DONT KNOCK KHALID, i can't even count the times that he has stepped in to save my protagonists posterior, though that is probably due to the fact that he has never done that, but still, i love hearing his voice when he says "better part of valor"

14. david w Gems: 19/31

Ah, I have fond memories of Khalid...

The time I stripped him of his armour and had Imoen take shots at him.

The time I thought "hey! I wonder if Khalid's flamable?" and discovered that, yes, he *was* flamable after Edwin threw a fireball at him.

Khalid vs half a dozen ogres. Not so much a fight as a thorough stomping.

And who could forget the times (oh so many times) when the other party members turned on him and mashed him into the ground?

Happy times...

15. cadderly Gems: 5/31

*tears*

16. Sarevok 435 Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

googd times
    any 1 know what happened to Kivan

17. Sparhawk the Pandion Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I recruited Jaheira and Khalid...then immediately sent Khalid to be slaughtered in an attempt to retrieve the woman's ring. Jaheira seemed to get over it fairly quickly.

There was a very interesting fallen paladin mod over at Gibberlings Three, but it seems to be on hold sadly.

18. cadderly Gems: 5/31

Jaheira is a panzy'manizer, sort of like a womanizer, just more towards "Khalids/panzies".

19. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The way I look at it, and I don't know what that mod actually does, bringing in Khalid would necessarily involve a lot of dialogue overhaul in order to justify.

Even plenty of the non-romantic dialogues don't make as much sense without Khalid's death being in the back of Jaheira's mind. Then of course, there would be the biggest casualty of all ... I, er, I mean, my PC, can no longer endear himself to a beautiful half-elven druid. :(

Not to sound callous or anything, but ... Khalid, rest in peace.

20. cadderly Gems: 5/31

sentiments i equally share, though i would have said something along the lines of #@!%#$^$#@^#%&!^$%@#$%@#$%@#$%#!^ panzy! but you got pretty close to the same meaning :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.