1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Bugs, taunt, special effects and surrendering enemies

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Ragusa, Jul 14, 2002.

1. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I repeatedly noted one weird bug when using the ability taunt and weapons with special extra damage such as fire or electricity:

Since - as it seems - the elemental extra damage is added after the weapon damage the following silly bit can happen: You beat up your enemy until he surrenders, surrender dialogue comes up, then the elemental damage kicks in - and the enemy is hostile again, the dialogue stalls.

Almost the same problem with taunt: I used taunt (you will make your enemy drop his defences) and whacked an enemy. When I brought him to the point that he wanted to surrender, he starteds a dialogue (thereby dropping his defences) - and got hit - and became hostile again ...

Oh joy! No alternative to reloads then :almostmad:

2. Syrel Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

That happened to me with the spirit of the forest.. but i just reloaded to a previous save about 5 mins prior to it happening :)
    ofcourse most people don't save their games like me every 10 mins :p

3. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] The really annoying part is not so much the reloading itself - it's more that these bugs practically rule out the use of extra-damage weapons and the taunt ability for possible-conversation fights ...

<rant> So what good is a 1d6 extra fire damage and a formidable taunt ability whan you can only use it to mew away some minor minions (you can just as easy kill without these advantages) ? <end of rant>

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Hmmm. I haven't had this problem with the extra damage, and I've been using weapons that do 1d6 extra damage since very early on, and have had one in each hand for much of chapter 2 and all of chapter 3. The only problem I've had is I can kill someone as they're giving up...

I've never used the Taunt skill though.

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited July 14, 2002).]

5. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] This surrender business is a failure waiting to happen. It doesn't surprise me one bit to find it victimized by a bug.
    I'm sitting with my finger on the space bar (pause) whenever I fight someone I think might surrender.

6. ConradOdack Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

As a sorceror, I'm finding this to be a real pain. I like using Melf's Acid Arrow because they continue to do damage beyond the first round and you can be sure that at least some is done. So after casting about 3 Melf's Acid Arrow, every round there after for about 3 rounds, he will take about 15 damage usually.

The crappy part is that if the npc surrenders, I have to use a healing kit to keep him alive until he is no longer busy and can initiate the dialog. The alternative case is that he will die, which means reload.

7. void Guest

I've found a rather annoying bug relating to this... (contains very slight spoiler)

I was playing around with a half-orc barb, using the elven cleric as my merc. I was fighting the half-orc that you have to beat just before the intellect devourer in the prison, in chapter 1. The cleric cast a hold spell on the half-orc and he failed his save, allowing me to make an easy kill :). I promply quicksaved to ensure nothing would take my victory away from me. I then proceeded down to face the intellect devourer and found that after I killed the high gaoler, the bloody thing didn't pop out of his body. I reloaded about 5 times, but it was no good :( . My last archive save was back at the start of chapter 1, and I couldn't be screwed going back, so I ended up disbanding the character...

PHEW!

If you are still reading this awfully long post, I thank you for hearing me out :D .

Cheers, Void

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.