1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Camelot version and Norse Mythology.

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Khazraj, Mar 9, 2003.

1. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I am curious as to which telling of the King Arthur and the Roundtable stories would be worth reading. I went to the library recently and there were too many versions to choose from. Some are too childish. Which would you recommend?

Also can our friends from Scandinavia give any ideas about which stories and or books related to Norse Mythology would be a good read. English only please, I have not learnt any Swedish, Norwegian or Danish yet... ;) (Should I include Finnish in here?)

2. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    My favorites are "The Once and Future King" and "The Mists of Avalon."

I read TOaFK asan assigned book back in junior high, I think, and that event gets credit for spurring my interest in fantasy/legends! The teacher had a collection of different books that we could choose for this assignment but had only a few copies of each. When she described the books, I remember hoping fervently that TOaFK wouldn't get all picked before my turn came. However, I don't recall it being a kid-oriented book in the slightest.

3. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I would recommend TH White's "The sword in the stone" as I think it is the most widespread of the fictious Arthur stories. Bradley's Avalon series is also a good read. When reading Arthur stories you must accept that all are more or less made up even the first one "Morte de Arthur" or something by some french dude so you might as well choose the fictious writers you like.

The only book about norse mythology I can think of out of the top of my head is Snorri Sturlasson's "Eddan", this is the source of much of our knowledge of our knowledge of norse mythology and it should be translated into english.

4. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

The only Arthur stories I've read are "Ghost King" and "Last Sword Of Power", both by David Gemmel, they have some nice twists that add something new to the Arthur stories.

5. Khazraj Gems: 20/31

Rallymama. Do you remember the author name(s)?

joacqin. Any ideas of books that may be in English? unless of course you could translate for me... ;) Still I'll check the net...

6. monkey Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

If you want a book on King Arthur and the Round Table then the book would have to be Le Morte Darthur by Sir Thomas Mallory. I'm not 100% sure but I think most if not all other books on the subject originally came from this book. It can be quite tough in places as it is written in old English (it was originally published in around 1400 I think although it may have been written quite a bit before that) - I would recommend the Wordsworth classic version as it is cheap (from Amazon) and it has a word list at the back to help with all the words that have long since left the English language.

7. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I think Eddan should exist in an english translation somewhere if you look long enough for it. Though it is a book that is more than a thousand years old so the language might be a bit strange but hopefully they fix such things in the translation.

8. Iuz the Wicked Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I have the a book called The Norse Myths-Gods of the Vikings by Kevin Crossley-Holland. Good stuff has all the myth stories of the gods. That is how things are and how things will remain until Ragnarok.

9. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    TOaFK - by T. H. White.
    MoA - Marian Zimmer Bradley.

Also try "Hawk of May" by Gillian Bradshaw.

[ March 10, 2003, 20:39: Message edited by: Rallymama ]

10. aegron Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

There is a lot of Arthur-lore predating Sir Thomas Mallory, but if you want a start this is it. T. H. White is also very, very good. He refers quite a lot to Mallory, and overall his book is quite hilarious.

If you'd like to read some norse mythology I would suggest The Poetic Edda. A good translation has been made by Larrington (forgot her first name). It is one of the best books I've ever read, so very impressive!

11. Khazraj Gems: 20/31

Thanks everyone that is so helpful! ;)

12. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

The Crystal Caverns is another book by T.H. White. As for Norse myths? It depends on whether you want stories, or actual mythology (what their religion was, their gods, etc.). Anyway, my favorite book on Norse Mytholgy is a book by the same name published by Penguin Publishing.

They also made a movie out of The Mists of Avalon, which I thought was well done.

13. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I can recommend Parke Godwins "Fireking". It's quite a realitic approach to King Arthur's life.

14. Falconhand Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

From Norse Mythology I would recommend Snorri's Poetig Edda also. There was a paperback edition at Amazon available for last christmas, i'd quess they have some left. Finnish mythology is quite a different from Norse mythology. Several translations of our most important national mythology can be found in the net, such as one in: http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/kveng/. No translations of Kanteletar, our n:o 2 national saga, can be found in the net at the moment, which is a shame, I'm positive that some translations will be around in the near future.

15. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

In this site you can find many books about norse mythology like "Poetic Edda" (translated by H.A. Bellows)or "Norse stories" by H.W. Mabie. I don't know if they are good but they are online and free :) . Also, it contains many books on various subjects, from philosophy and mathematics to military science.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.