1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Can the young ones be shocked today?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by SleepleSS, Jul 14, 2002.

1. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] Just wondering...

Are there things that can shock the youth of today? In my opinion, since I'm part of it, the only thing that can shock the youth today are things that are happening in their direct envirment.

I mean, was there anybody in europa under 24 who was shocked after the attacks of Osama against America? I don't think so. Í didn't even join in the 2 minutes silence, instaid I kept talking to upset the teachers at school.

So tell me, how do you think about it?

2. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I dunno if I count but my parents shock me, and what humans do to each other.

3. Hm. Yes. I was shocked when I first heard about a girl my age who gave head to some guy in a catholic school near my public school. But after that, I kinda got used to it.

4. Sir Dargorn Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Shadow godess. Come to England that sort of thing happens all the time.

The American thing didn't shock me. I don't get upset about anything anymore and to be plainly honest i am worried about it.
    you see the only thing that i hate is animal cruelty or suffering, if it happens to children or other humans i could give a monkeys!
    I just don't believe us humans have the right to exist let alone sympathy.

5. jesper898 Guest

i agree with sir Darngorn except that i was shocked about the WTC attack(i have some friends from america)

6. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Are you referring to all youth, or European youth? Here in America, the youth were pretty shocked by what happened on 9/11. Many schools were playing the news reports all day, and the students were interested. So, I'd say that did shock our youth.

7. I think the USA kids would be shocked and scared if it was their country that was being blown up. My school, most of them were ignoring the principal when he told us. I think we took it as a joke, most of us anyways.

Poodle, so you mean you hear 12/13 year olds give head all the time in Europe?

8. Rastor Gems: 30/31

Shadow, I've heard of pregnant 10-year old girls in America, so 12 year olds being involved in that doesn't surprise me. Ever since the Clinton scandals, we've had that type of thing going on here as well.

9. Morkai Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

nothing shocks me anymore really

10. Forashi Guest

Games and movies and roleplaying games. They're pure sin and lead to satan.

No really. I'm not the religious sort, but fact is that everything we see, hear and know, has an effect on how we think and feel about things. Quite obvious slaughtering millions of ppl on computer/console has a sort of "diffusing" effect. They don't destroy your feelings and sympathy, but they make ignoring them easier. Medias 100 news of wars around the world per day then again destroys those feelings. Me, I'm 21 years old soon and I couldn't care less about the Islamis or the Palestinians. Frankly, I even thought what happened in september was something quite fascinating. A change to the everyday boring life. And I know what made me into this. I'm not blaming anyone, but that's only because I simply don't care. Not until it concerns me directly.

11. Turandil Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I wasn't shocked about WTC, I realy suspected that someone would do such a evil thing soon, because there is many people that is very angry because of the evil actions by the USA.

I was more angry, cuz the day seemed so great, i got my bracers (tooth) removed and I became 15 years, then some guy flew a plane in a building.

I will make the two minut silence when it has been done for everyone else that has sufferered, like the starwing in africa and the drowning in china for example, they are humans to.

12. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

"I just don't believe us humans have the right to exist let alone sympathy"

"Ever since the Clinton scandals, we've had that type of thing going on here as well"

"They're pure sin and lead to satan"

LMAO!!!!!!!!!

Whatnots == Comedy Central

13. Rastor Gems: 30/31

I was going to post this earlier, but the webpage went down.

What is this? As it occurs to me, the USA goes out of its way to help other nations. We spend billions every year through humanitarian programs, and get repaid with getting attacked?

I don't believe that video games have anything to do with the violence in the world, that's just a scapegoat. It used to be movies and television. Anyway, if we're so cold to violence, then why do we get emotionally affected whenever we hear about the latest school shooting or terrorist attack?

I can't agree with the rest of you. The youth can be shocked as easily as anyone else. They all have emotions as well, despite their efforts to hide them.

14. Aziraphale Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] When I watch or read the news and see something terrible I just think, "Thats awful", but im not shocked by it.

The only thing what could affect me to a great extent would be something in my direct environment.
    I was not shocked when America was atacked, my response was, "Oh".
    I really am worried about this, why has this happened to youth today?

15. Shralp Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

I shock Serena Lynx every time I call her a hippo with a cleft palate.

16. Satiana Fearbringer Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

[​IMG] Hmmmm,

It is MHO that most of today's kids do not get shocked nor do they have their emotions rattled very easily. As a matter of fact, I beleive that they have become the ones who like to shock. The type that would do anything for attention it seems.

Just over the last two years I have been sexually (verbally) assualted more than once. Had two younger guys follow me around a grocery store pretending to be gay just to see how uncomfortable they could make me. And I had some guy who was with a group of other guys in a resteraunt come over at sit at my table with me and my husband totally uninvited and make goofy small talk. All for the shock value and attention they could recieve from it.

It never ceases to amaze me what young kids are doing today. Having sex, shooting people, doing drugs, commiting suicide and getting pregnant. And Lord knows why. They don't seem to follow any rules, nor do they seem to have any positive influence in their lives. It really makes me sad. I wish there was a way to make them see how much easier life would be, if they did not do any of that. But, I am one person, and I can only lend a hand and an ear to those whom are within my reach, and even then only if they will let me.

17. Atreides Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I don't know if all youth in this country are desensitized, I guess it depends upon the group of people. I can say that after 9/11 a very large group of my cadets in my Civil Air Patrol squadron were very pissed off and horrified. I hardly count myself to be in the "youth" category (I'm twenty-two years old) but tragic events (terrorist attacks, school shootings, etc.) do shock me. Video games, TV, and other forms of entertainment are not the problem here, it's the parents that are to blame. When people (religious groups specifically) target the media I think they are making excuses for the failure of the parents. I play lots of computer and video games with lots of death but I never want to experience anything like that in real life.

18. Gonzago Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

"Kids today?"

Were kids *ever* as shocked as the older folks? Of course not. These are defining moments in their history...the same moments which are *redefining* history for the rest of us. Which is more shocking?

(Does that make sense?)

19. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] Yeah we kids so sometimes stupid things like killing others, or themselves. But as long as it nobody I know or care about, I can't say it shockes me.

The last thing that shockt me, was the death Of Pim Fortuyn. I really hated the guy, but this was the first political killing in the Netherlands, for as far as I know...

For now, I go to get some sleep...

20. Sir Dargorn Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Shadow Goddess: i think in europe people my age not only start having and comitting sexual acts much younger than places like Canada and America but they are also much more free with their sexuality.

This is not meant to sound like gloating however, i think the high rate of teenage pregnancies is appalling and STD's spread like wildfire over here.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.