1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Can Valen be out in the daylight?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Mar 2, 2004.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    As the question asks, if you take Valen along as an NPC, will she be able to travel during the daylight? It would be an extreme inconvenience if I could only hold onto her during the daylight hours...

Also, since her daggers sound like downright cheese, is it possible to equip other daggers to her so that she acts more like a traditional thief?

2. Thunder Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

AFAIK and I've only read the readme of this MOD she can move about during daytime, but her abilities will be severly hampered. I don't know about the daggers. :S

3. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I am one busy bee today...
    Valen can move outside during the day, although she will be weakened. That is so because of the armor she wears, I think. Its in the Readme.

As for cheese - I wouldnt take here along. Her leveldrain is just too much to make the game challenging. Since I havent used here, I dont know about the daggers.

>Edit< Thunder types faster...

4. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Yes, you can equip her with normal daggers instead of her "claws" thus negating most (or possibly all considering her innate liabilities)of her cheese factor.

Personally, I found that Valen's cheesiness is part of the charm of the mod. Valen without cheese just doesn't seem right.

I have no intention of ever using her again but she is kind of amusing for a change of pace. I quite quickly fell into the pattern of sitting back and snickering as Valen and my anti-paladin cut down the toughest opponents within seconds.

Valen can travel outside during the day but she is weak as a kitten when doing so. If you try to have her fight in sunlight you can pretty well expect her to die. Also, you will likely have to limit her inventory to next to nothing as her daylight strength is so low that she is pretty well guaranteed to become encumbered.

5. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    But it's only actually outside, right? If I'm indoors, underground, etc., it's all cool? Because other than the druid grove, and Suldneeselar, almost everything is indoors or underground. In ToB, everything except the siege camp is indoors or underground. So it's not a big a penalty as one would think if it's only outside. However, if this happens during daylight hours REGARDLESS of whether you are outside or not, then she's worthless for 2/3 of the game...

6. JSBB Gems: 31/31

Yes, it only functions when you are outside. You are correct in that the combat limitations are relatively small but the annoyance factor is somewhat higher when it comes to moving around town. It is quite annoying to hear for the umpteenth time the "you must gather your party" message due to your forgetting that your vampire suddenly can't carry her own equipment due to her strength falling to 3.

7. TheAngulion Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I haven't installed the mod, just out of curiosity:
    Isn't it possible to give Valen some strength enhancing equipment to overcome this limitation?

8. JSBB Gems: 31/31

It has been a while but I am pretty sure that Valen's sunlight penalties supercede any statistic boosting effects.

The first thing I would have done after she hit daylight would have been to slap a giant strength belt on her and if that had solved the problem I wouldn't have such vivid memories of having to send party members back to cart away her inventory.

I think I eventually settled upon using the cheat keys to allow her to move and manually compensated by keeping her out of fights during the day.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.