1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Candidate Calculator

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by The Great Snook, Oct 1, 2007.

1. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
  2. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    Interesting - I came up as a match to Dennis Kucinich (D-OH). Of the major candidates, the nearest was Hillary. I expected Guilani to come in higher, but he was actually two places BELOW Romney.

And I'll come out of the closet now - I'm likely to vote Clinton in 2008. Give me a moment to put on my raincoat, before the rotten tomatoes start flying, please.

I think the upcoming Republican primary is going to be a huge test for me - do I vote for someone I think is the least of the evils, or do I vote for an extremist candidate who I personally loathe in the hopes of boosting the Democrat's chances? Decisions, decisions...

3. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Well, my top match was Mike Gravel (91.67%!) - who is an OK guy and all, but he has no chance of winning the Democrat nomination. In fact, the top five who match me the closest have no chance of winning the nomination - in addition to Gravel, the next four are Joe Biden, Dennis Kucinich, Chris Dodd and John Edwards (who is actually tied with Dodd in matches). The closest person who has a shot of winning a nomination is Hillary - sixth overall with a 76.67% match. Least is Fred Thompson, with just 5%, and he actually IS a possible nomination winner.

4. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Mine was Gravel also, at 87.5%. My next three are Kucinich, Ron Paul and Biden.

5. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I was 78% for Biden. Weird. My second place was Gravel at only 10%.

6. Dinsdale Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Media:
    Hmm. My top match was John Cox at 77.27%. Second was Ron Paul who was also at 77.27%.

Don't know much about Cox, but I like Ron Paul and would definitely vote for him if he is nominated. If he isn't it looks like I'll be "throwing away" my vote on a third party candidate.

7. Maurolava

Maurolava Neither to go back, nor to take impulse Veteran

Christopher Dodd w/ 84%
    John Edwards w/ 84%
    Hillary Clinton w/ 80%
    Mike Gravel w/ 80%

Those are my top matches

8. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    DR, was this a typo? It seems almost inconceivable that Gravel was 2nd with only a 10% match. I can't believe that Biden is THAT different than everyone else that you could score 78% with Biden, and not more than 10% with anyone else. Weird indeed.

9. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I have to throw a wrinkle into the calculator. I originally missed the link that listed your other top candidates.

To my surprise my other top candidates were Mitt Romney and Fred Thompson. The interesting thing was they also came in at 82.61% which is the same number I had for Giuliani. I'm curious why if it was a three way tie they picked him. I'm guessing it was alphabetic.

I also just realized I left everything at medium importance. I may have to tweak these to see if I get a differnt response.

10. Dinsdale Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Media:
    Oops, I left everything at medium importance also. When I went back and did it again it came out like this.

Ron Paul 82.76%
    Fred Thompson 75.86%
    Duncan Hunter 68.97%
    Tom Tancredo 68.97%

Not surprisingly, Clinton, Obama and Edwards were at the bottom of the barrel.

11. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Hehe, I tried it out and it appears I'm a dyed in the wool leftist! Which is sort of a joke. I guess (iirc) AMaster was right of the US in its entirety drifted to the right. What I picked was good European mainstream.

Former Alaska Senator Mike Gravel (D) - 96.30% match
    Ohio Representative Dennis Kucinich (D) - 92.59% match

Everyone else followed way off.

I still like Ron Paul, even though I disagree with him a lot. Cool, basically sensible guy. Truly a radical.

Personally I consider myself a conservative leaning centrist. If that makes me a Democrat, what does it make that an American conservative in Europe?

12. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The link doesnt work for me.

And Ragusa, I guess that by European standards an American right winger would be classified more or less as a fascist or at least an extremist along the lines of Le Pen and others.

13. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I don't know, it depends. In some areas, like market policy, they would probably be somewhat different. I think the US right is supposed to be strongly pro-free market, while most European far-right groups would seem to favor more state control and restrictions. Likewise, I think most Republicans would be somewhat ahead of Le Pen and co on issues such as multiethnic society. They seem more like a somewhat radicalized variant of the Christian Democrats, imo.

14. nunsbane

nunsbane

Mike Gravel - 90.91%. Never heard of the guy before tonight but he is obviously very intelligent and well adjusted. :D

15. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I drew this Gravel guy (91.6) - Then Bill Richardson. I don't know a lot about this Garvel dude, but he's doing pretty well on BoM. But I don't think that will help him much...

16. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

I showed up as an Obama supporter (almost 70%).

Strange.

My next three were also Democrats (Clinton, edwards and Richardson).

Mitt Romney was highest in the Middle of the pack category, and Ron Paul, who I like what I've heard from, was the lowest match...

17. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    Frankly, the actual contenders are all pretty extreme. Giulliani, while socially liberal, and even (if you go by what he actually did as mayor of New York instead of his NRA stump speech) pro-gun control, is still rather ridiculous where the war in Iraq, the war on terror, and Guantanamo are concerned. Mitt Romney, as a governor, passed a health care plan for his state (a plan which is eerily similar to the one Hillary presented and that he is, ironically, now criticizing) and his record as a governor also shows him to be fairly moderate on the abortion front (a fact he is trying to downplay as much as possible). On the flip side, this kook is talking about expanding Guantanamo, rather than, you know, making it Geneva-Convention-Compliant. Fred Thompson....you know, I don't think I really want to talk about Fred Thompson. :nuts:

Last I checked, these guys are the only real contenders, now. I can't see how voting for John McCain or something will really make that much of a difference.

18. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Le Pen is actually quite pro free market and laissez faire in many cases and supports only intervention in areas important for national security.

19. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    My support for McCain has been flagging over the past few years - he doesn't look nearly as attractive when he's not up against a complete whackjob. And then he goes and says that he would prefer a Christian president over someone of a different faith, calling it "an important part of our qualifications to lead." ...and whatever little bit of support I had left for him just crumbles into dust. Diversity, anyone? :rolleyes:

[ October 02, 2007, 14:58: Message edited by: Rallymama ]

20. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Not that I can vote in these elections, but I tried it anyway. I got Kucinich at 88%, and although I've not followed the debates too closely he probably is the candidate whose ideas I can identify with most (not very hard considering most of the others make me want to pull my hair out the minute they open their mouth).

Unsurprisingly Mitt Romney was way, way down on the list :lol:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.