1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Chapel key!?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Olethros, Sep 22, 2002.

1. Olethros Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Does anyone know what the Chapel key found in Windspear hills is for?
    None of the several walkthroughs I´ve read tell me. They meantion it and then ignore it.

[ September 22, 2002, 19:08: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Legitas Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] If I remember correctly there's a locked door in the sewers beneath Temple district.In Windspear Hills there are 2 keys (1 by the Wraights and second somethere by Tazok).One of them should work ;) Where goes the other one I don't remember now.

3. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Chapel Key was ment to be used somewhere, however programmers "forgot" to put it where is should go by design.
    Where exactly it should go, noone ever said. You may throw it away.

4. komei Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

That key opens up the secret Mind-Flayer area in the sewers under the temple district. It is not compulsory to go there, but it is if you want the Hammer of Thunderbolts to create the legendary Crom Faeyr. Before you go there, memorise lots of chaotic command spells and equip items with immunity to hold, confusion and charm... (Shield of Harmony perhaps...)

5. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

No it is not.
    The key for secret Mind-Flayer lair is called Sewer key. Not Chapel. And as it was already posted, this Sewer key you collect from Tazok, not from the floor where you find Chapel key.

6. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

How about Bodhi's heart? Do you just throw it away or is there something better to do with it?

7. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Bodhi's heart is necessary if you want to restore a lost loved one from Vampirism.

8. komei Gems: 5/31

?

There are two keys - one opens the mind flayer area, and the other opens the cell with the kidnapped son or daughter.

?

9. Davaeorn Gems: 5/31

(sigh) :nolike:
    As Extremist already hinted at, there are in fact three keys: Chapel, Sewer, and Prison Keys.

Sewer opens the Mind Flayer area in the sewer,
    Prison frees Garen's child,
    and I might be wrong, but I figured that the chapel key opened the way opposite the labrynth. It lets you enter the area with the Orogs and that strange well that contains the Dragon Helm and a Greater Air Elemental, and the golems are north as well as the passage to Tazok.

I figured this area was the Chapel. :confused:

Anyone want to check? Do not pick up the chapel key and try to get past that door. Post if you know anything.

10. Maldir Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I may be misremembering this, but I think that as stated, the entire area containing Tazok, the wolfweres etc. is behind a door locked by the Chapel Key. The door was supposed to be made unpickable, but this was omitted, so it is not necessary to pick up this key (unless you can't pick locks).

11. Davaeorn Gems: 5/31

Yes, exactly my thoughts.

But every time that I've done this quest, I always took the same route. I did everything in the same order and always had the key when I tried the door.

12. komei Gems: 5/31

That's probably the case then - that area may be the 'Chapel' area since its near that well where you get the Dragon Helm. I looked thru my backpack - no Chapel Key and yet i've done Windspear Hills long ago.

I guess it must have been auto-used to open a door that might otherwise have been locked, and, like others here, not having NOT had the key at this point I never realised it needed it :rolleyes: :p

13. Lond Daer Guest

Sorry, komei, but with me it's just the opposite: I went through Windspear Hills and I still have the Chapel Key with me. Furthermore, I am certain I opened all the doors in the area without that key. :confused:

[ September 23, 2002, 23:30: Message edited by: rHant ]

14. komei Gems: 5/31

Hmmm well it is a mystery! Next time I play thru (probably next year!) I shall take careful note of what keys i have in the Windspear Hills area.

15. Blog Gems: 23/31

Don't mean to confuse you guys, but didn't Samia also have a key?

I know one is guarded by wraiths, Conster (Firkragg's pet mage) has the one that opens the prison door. Not sure where's the last one though.

Actually the one I wasn't sure of was posted before already: Tazok has it.

[ September 24, 2002, 23:10: Message edited by: Blog ]

16. r'Hant Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Samia's Key opens te door to the grave of King Strohm III. You are most likely to use it right after you talked to her, so that's out. Three to go...

I think 'Chapel' stands for the place where you found it. It looks like a ruined chapel. This is one of the great mysteries of the game... :(

[ September 24, 2002, 20:59: Message edited by: r'Hant ]

17. Davaeorn Gems: 5/31

If the chapel is the room where you find the key, what's the point of putting in the room where you use it?
    It's like locking the key to a chest inside the chest!.
    That's why I don't think that the tiny room (pretty small for a chapel) is a chapel. Then again, the whole Dragon-Helm-Well area isn't a chapel either.
    It seems the chapel should be where Firkraag is.

PS @Blog: Joster? Do you mean Conster? Joster's a half elf shadow thief. Conster is the pet mage.

18. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Actually, I found that I could not unlock the door to get to Samia without the chapel key. That's probably what it is for.

19. Blog Gems: 23/31

Right Conster... I've been playing the thief stronghold lately :) Edited my post already.

20. Nivek The Mad Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] So, (this is my last stupid question for awhile, I hope), can I drop the damned Chapel Key, as I completed the Windspear Hills weeks ago?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.