1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Chapter 3

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by matko5, Aug 29, 2006.

1. matko5 Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

what level are you when you start chapter 3? i plan to take on the vampires, so i should i take restoration and lesser restoration or negative plane protection?

2. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I am normally around level 14-15 when I start chapter 3 as I like to do all of the major quests in chapter 2. And it is well worth it to stock up on restoration scrolls, neg. plane protection spells and anything that will protect you from domination. Or you could just be an undeadhunter and go in there without buffing up and kicking every single vampire back to where he belongs.

3. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

It depends on if I want Imoen in the party. If I do, then I hurry up getting the gold and the party level is around 8.

Personally, I'd memorize Restoration spells as NPP has a very short duration. Also, buff up 1 party member against level drain and charming to be the vampires' focus of attacks.

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Well, if you have sided with the Shadow Thieves, you should have received the Amulet of Power from Aran Linvail. It has permanent negative plane protection when equipped. Normally, I will give this to somone who is a cleric or a druid along with a helm of charm protection, and they serve as my main tank against vampires. The easiest way to get around the level drain is to not place characters who can be level drained in harms way.

I don't know who is in your party, but Anomen would be an ideal choice in this role. Of course, he's not the only option. Jaheira would also work great. If your PC is a ranger/cleric, cleric/thief, or undead hunter you could even do it yourself.

Generally speaking I only send in a couple of characters to fight vampires, and they are protected with negative plane protection. As such, I usually take a couple of restoration scrolls with me as a "just in case" fallback option, and memorize more negative plane protection spells.

5. Clixby Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I'd usually use Minsc, since he's:

-proficient in maces, so i can give him the MoD

-Capable of spellcasting, so he can use the AoP

-His racial enemy is Vampires, making him even more formidable.

Minsc is the Killdozer of Vampire slaying.

6. matko5 Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

i'm playing a pure ranger, with daystar in one hand and belm in the other, racial enemy vampires so i guess he'll be the tank :D

7. Redrake Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

Don't forget to use scrolls of protection from undead if you have any. Or the nice Mace of Disruption that you can find the blood pool. Other than that, with the sunray from Daystar you should be fine. If your party is low on levels, you might consider using some summons as fodder.

8. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Keep in mind that only the upgrade MoD protects from level drain.

Most vampires can't see through invisbility and stealth, with the exceptions of Tanova (who casts True Sight) and the ambush at Brynnlaw.

9. Clixby Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Korgan's a good choice too, if you've got him. Berserker rage makes the character immune to level drain, for some reason.

10. Redrake Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

You also get an amulet of power from Aran that protects you from level drain.
    The priest spell protection from negative plane is a good option but its duration is too short, so timing is very important.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.