1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Character Portraits

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Zaylae, Jun 8, 2001.

1. Zaylae Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] I know this was just posted but....

Okay, so I got the portrait and it's in the C drive (Black Isle/Baldur's Gate whatever) but how do I actually get it INTO Baldur's Gate? I tried to do Custom Portrait but nothing happened. Also I downloaded the program where you can play Drizzit and well..how does that work? Sorry if this has been explained but I'm just not getting it.

2. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

OK, first of all you have to have the portraits saved in the correct 'Portrait' directory. For details on how to do that, have a look at the following post:
    http://www.sorcerers.net/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000258.html

Once that is done, load your game as normal then select your main character. Next click on the record Icon on the left hand control panel (the head picture). A screen opens with a picture of your character. Click on the 'customise' button near the bottom right hand corner. Another panel opens, click on the 'apperance' button. A large picture should appear showing your character. At the bottom of this you will see a button marked 'custom'. Click on this. A new screen will open divided into two halfs. The top is for the large portrait of your character. The bottom is for the small portrait. You will see two lists of portraits available in your portrait directory and two empty panels for the previews of the large and small portraits you select. Click on whatever portraits you decide to use and make sure it fills the preview panels (to get the right size - large and small). When you have made your choice, keep clicking 'done' to close all of the windows. Your new portrait should now show in the game.

Changing portraits for NPCs is slightly different as you don't get the option to 'customise' 'apperance'. The only editor I have for BG1 is Gatekeeper and I don't think this allows you to edit portraits. Shadowkeeper for BG2 does allow this but that's no use to you sorry. :(

As to the programme you mentioned to add Drizt, I'm not sure what programme you mean. There is some discussion on the BG2 forum about adding him to BG2 but I don't know of a programme to do it automatically. Could you provide some more details? The BG2 discussion about it is here:
    http://www.sorcerers.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/002693.html

http://www.sorcerers.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/002678.html

PS I think I've just found the Drizt file you are talking about. the charcater you can download form Sorcerer's (doh :rolleyes: ). Anyway, I have downloaded this to have a look. I haven't actually tried to install it but notice that there is a readme file that explains as well as I can how to do it. Basically you unzip the file then copy the various files to the appropriate driectory as explained (sounds to the sound directory, portraits to the portraits directory etc). What may be causing you some confusion is that this needs to be done when you START a game so that you can chose to 'Import' a character during the characater creation process. You will then chose Drizt from the list of characters available for import. Also, if you intend to have Drizt in addition to your own character you will need to start a multiplayer game so that you create or import more than one character at the start. Don't worry, you can still play a 'multiplayer' on your own. How to do this is explained in the manual.

Sorry, this is getting a bit confusing now. Anyway, I hope some of it is useful. Let us know if there's still something you need to do that isn't covered here.

[This message has been edited by Slappy (edited June 08, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Slappy (edited June 08, 2001).]

3. Zaylae Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] Thanx very much, I appreciate the help.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.