1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Cleric or Mage

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Salvanas, Jul 29, 2001.

1. Salvanas Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I'm looking for a character to play all the way through, and Im looking for end spellcasting power. Who is better to go all the way through with, a mage or cleric?

2. Subra Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

You should know there is no answer to that question. Both are very strong spell casters if they are single classed, more so dual classed...less so multiclassed. Why not create a multiplayer game and make both.

3. Lord Praetor Munir Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I'd say the Cleric on summoning spells... coz you can summon more powerful creatures but the mage can only summon one planetar at a time...

but for dealing damage spells.. take the mage coz he can cast improved alacrity which will let you fire off spells like a machine gun....

4. Seid Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Mages are better. They have much more "firepower". There is a high level ability Dragon breath 20d10 damage, doesn't damage allies, casting time: 1.

5. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Multi-class and take both of them, seems to me that having a really high level mage or cleric just isn't worth it compared to a mage/cleric.

6. Trunculo Gems: 5/31

Regarding mages having only one planetar at a time - try that again. My sorcerer was playing around with the spell and threw two of them out there - I suppose I could have made a third had it not been for the fact that I had already used my other super-duper spell on something. Besides that, the planetar is so powerful - how many of them do you need at a time anyway?

To the original question - I'd play a mage. You can always bring along Sir Anomen for the clerical punch. If you can't stand Sir Anomen, be a cleric - you still have Imoen for the mage stuff. What a great game!

7. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Are you sure Dragon's Breath is casting time 1? I thought it was 3? Regardless its quick to cast and depending on who your enemies are can give good results or hardly any results.

8. Salvanas Gems: 1/31

Alright thanks guys. Im probably gonna go with a mage just because they (to me) are cooler then a cleric because they have their own magical power, instead of feeding off of some god.

9. Seid Gems: 5/31

If you play multi Mage/Cleric you will not get the 10th level spells for a long time since your mage needs to go up to level 18.

10. Raistlin Majere Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] sorcerer is the best of course

11. jack-of-all-trades Gems: 11/31

[​IMG] agreed. :D :D :D :D :D

i would be a sorcerer. But that's just me.

(or take the advice from above and start a multiplayer game and try a mage and a sorcerer.

sorcerers get less spells, but can cast more of them(and not having to memorize them is great.)
    mages get more spells but can cast fewer(and have to memorize before a fight).

[This message has been edited by jack-of-all-trades (edited July 30, 2001).]

12. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Indeed; sorcerers are the best choice for a practical and powerful character. I started a mage and a sorcerer together in multiplayer. The mage's efficency was far lesser than the power of the sorcerer(same level and about the same experience)
    So...I definetely would rate them like this:

1.) sorcerer(powerful spells doesn't need to memorize them)
    2.) cleric(not so effective spells, but enormous summoning capacity and a LOT of healing capability)
    3.) mage(indeed powerful spells compared to the cleric's, but less casting capacity plus they needed to be memorized)

[This message has been edited by TIN_MAN (edited July 30, 2001).]

13. DemoGorgon Guest

I didnt like wild mage, so i'd definetly go with sorcerer too

14. Seid Gems: 5/31

Sorcerors are the best. But I don't agree that Wild mages are bad. They get much more spells than normal mages and only 5% chance of screwing up.

15. Lord Praetor Munir Gems: 11/31

actually, I dont think you can summon more than one Planetar at a time.. in fact.. I cant even summon a Deva and a Planetar at the same time.... maybe if i did.. theyd fight each other..

16. Shade Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

It says you can't summon more than one type of that creature at one time. I guess that they wouldn't fight (unless you had an evil one and a good one) but you can't get two for one main reason. Game Balance

17. Seid Gems: 5/31

I think if you're a neutral mage you can have an evil and a good Planetar. Is that right?

18. The_Kraken Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] If you are a neutral mage or cleric you get to choose which sort you can summon (normal or fallen) but you can only summon one type

19. Seid Gems: 5/31

What do you think is better Dragon breath or Comet?

20. Salvanas Gems: 1/31

Comet because of the knockback factor. It may just be a personal preference, but comet seems to work better everytime for me

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.