1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Cleric Summoning

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Laches, Apr 27, 2003.

1. Laches Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I'm soloing a Cleric of Talos at the moment, (well, eventually I'll pick up Viconia), and just picked up my first 6th level spell. Now, I've soloed mages, and I've soloed a ranger/cleric but never a straight cleric. Soloing mages got me to understand their summons very well but I've not that experience with a cleric.

One thing I've overlooked then because of the strength of the ranger/cleric is the importance of that first 6th level spell. I'm thinking I should use it on a summons and I've got a few options - aerial servant, fire elemental (i think, right?), and the 2 mountain bears spell I believe. A search reveals no comparison of the summons attributes.

So, what spell should be a clerics first 6th level spell, particularly, which summons is superior?

2. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

I'd go for Fire elemental spell.

He's fairly powerful and stays around for a very long while. 1 turn/level i think. Thats completely enough for any battle.

3. Laches Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Except on second appearance it appears I screwed that up, there isn't a fire elemental at 6 I guess.

4. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

My favourite cleric summons were always the bears. Bears mixed with skeletons. I used the bears always as meatshield.In places, where theres a passage, the bears are ideal to block the passage and than I used either spells or ranged weapons. But that's in the end my personal type of playing.

5. Shelyid-the-stupid-apprentice Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Clerics have a spell that summon bears? *confuzzled*

6. Andyr Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I'd personally take Heal as my first level 6 spell rather than a summons.

7. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Summon fire elemental is a 6th level druid spell, not a 6th level cleric spell. R/Cs get access to both cleric and druid spells, which is why you were expecting to learn it.

Sorry.

8. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

The skeletal worriors (after you reach cleric level 15) might be the best summon you can get with a R/C. I guess an Aerial Servant is better, but they take a real long time to get.

9. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Aerial Servant is your best bet. Since you're waiting for a level 6 spell anyway, taking Aerial Servant as your tank can help. They have moderate hitpoints, but they can do TONS of damage! In my experience, they hit for 25-35 a pop.

10. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I tend to use the bears more just because there are two of them to soak up damage. They are a bit slow though. But I like using the Aerial Servant too for more offense.

Of course versus magic users, skeletons are better for their resistances.

11. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

I assume it is agreed that Aerial Servants get best offense, but which summons is better for fodder? In the sense, which has more hitpoints? Also, which has more resistances, bonuses etc? Also...where can you find out how many attacks per round each summon has??

I.e. if the Skeleton Warriors do 20 damage a pop, but get 2 attacks per round instead of the 1 attack Aerial Servants get, then they would obviously be better.

12. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31

Good ol' SK can tell you everything you want to know about summoned monsters. Skeleton warriors do get 2 attacks, and have much better resists than an aerial servant. They make great tanks.

Servants hit for so much damage because they have a strength of 23 (!). So when they hit, it's an ouchy. But they get ripped by monsters usually, so I'd go with the skeletons for tanks.

13. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

Do buffs apply to summons?

Improved Haste, Mass Invisibility, Protection from evil 10' Radius, Free Action, Chaotic Commands etc...whew, summoning can get heaps good then.

In fact, if it IS indeed viable, then I feel greatly tempted to roleplay a summoner...perhaps a Druid, or a Mage/Cleric...to carry out the buffs to extremes! :D

14. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31

I've used haste on summons, but nothing else that I can think of. As far as I know they all work. Servants have an immunity to effects, so some of those wouldn't be very helpful. But you could still put together a pretty strong summon, I suppose.

15. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

Now I'm really interested. Does anyone know where I can find the details for all this? Or, I have IEEP myself, so I can probably open it up and go through them...but that's way too cumbersome. There's got to be some kind of document detailing the pros and cons of some, if not all, summons.

Anyone know where I can find it?

16. Minh So Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Why not ctrl_Q it ? :D

17. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

What does CTRL+Q do?

18. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

Skeleton Warriors is the best summons for a cleric. Why would you use a 6th level spell when you can get Skeleton Warriors from a 3rd level spell?
    Of course there is the gap after you get 6th level spells but haven't yet reached level 15 (for the Skeleton Warriors) in which case I'd go with Aerial Servants.

Which 6th level spells to pick?
    My favorites are:
    - Wondrous Recall because it makes it easy to cast Chaotic Commands and/or Death Ward on all party members.
    - Heal because it's such a great healing spell - well, duh!
    - Bolt of Glory because it ignores Magic Resistance.

19. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

Do Clerics get any summon which isn't dispellable by Death Spell? IIRC, Skeleton Warriors are thrown off by that one.

20. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31

Gated monsters are not summoned, so they stand up to death spell. I think they are the only ones, though.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.